[PW!] Change of Orders

Change of Orders

Morning in Rustboro City is a lackluster affair for many parties involved.
For some it's quite peaceful and relaxing. For others, such as employees of the
Devon Corporation, it can be quite hectic and involve massive amounts of
coffee. But for those this small narrative is most concerned with, the duo of
Sven and Peabody from Team Aqua, mornings are actually quite peaceful.

"Poochyena!"

Except when dealing with young Dark-types that aren't quite housetrained
yet.

"I can't believe this!" Sven cried out, looking at the little 'present' that
had been left in front of the bathroom door by one of his Pokémon, the
Poochyena in question. "Can't that little dog ever learn how to use a toilet or
something?"

"Sven, he's a puppy," Peabody said as he cleaned up the crumbs from the
previous evening's dinner, the Poochyena in question scampering about near his
feet. "You have to teach a puppy how to behave outside of battle as well as
inside."

"Well, what do you suggest?" Sven asked angrily.

"With the present there?" Peabody asked in reply. "Some toilet paper and
carpet cleaner should deal with the problem. As for Poochyena, he needs to be
housebroken."

"And how exactly do I do that, hm?" Sven asked back, a smug grin on his
face.

"I don't know, but I'm willing to bet there are books to help with that,"
Peabody replied.

"The way you two go on, you sound like an old married couple," a familiar
voice noted.

"That's what you get with the whole yin-yang bit, boss," Peabody noted as he
rose to his feet and looked towards his direct superior, Leif. "Got in through
the window, didn't you?"

"Not many other choices," Leif noted as he settled into his chair. "I have a
slight change in orders for the two of you, by the way."

"Do we get to maim some Magmas?" Sven asked.

"Nothing so dramatic," Leif replied. "Your orders are to gather materials
and get them to the research labs near the Abandoned Ship east of Dewford
Town."

"You mean we're being errand boys?" Sven asked. "Why?"

"As painfully clear with that breeder, Magma is raising the bar a bit," Leif
clarified. "Right now, it appears that the breeder hasn't received any
brainwashing to keep him in line, but in the event that the poor fool snaps and
comes after us, it's hoped that we will be ready to deal with him."

"With what, our own hybrid?" Peabody asked.

"No, more like something half-way," Leif replied. "Half of the project is
already complete; a Pokémon capable of not only dealing with the Grass hybrid,
but also any Pokémon from Team Magma, has been bred and trained. The other
half, a means of using a human being to mirror hybrid-like abilities, is
already underway. However, in order to continue the project, we need a few
minor items, and the only place in Hoenn which deals these items is an
electronics outlet in Verdanturf Town."

Leif reached into a pocket of his coat, and pulled out a small envelope
before handing it to Peabody. "Contained within is more than enough cash for
the equipment, as well as a list of all the specific items that we need.
Assuming there is money left over, it's yours."

"And what do we get out of all of this, hm?" Sven asked.

"The chance to possibly test the prototype," Leif replied. He then pulled a
Poké Ball from another pocket and placed it in Peabody's remaining hand, and
explained, "Also, the higher-ups have agreed to your request for a new Pokémon,
and see that as a chance to test out the first half of the defense. Just be
warned, he's a little aggressive."

"So, what is it?" Sven asked. "A Crawdaunt? A Gyarados? A Whiscash? Maybe a
nice import, like a Feraligatr or a Blastoise?"

"You'll see in a minute," Leif replied as he made his way to the window. "In
the meantime, Godspeed."

As Leif began climbing out the window, Peabody piped up and asked, "Sir? Can
I as a question?"

"What about?" Leif replied.

"Yesterday, we came across a girl who claimed that a relative of hers had
been killed by Team Aqua in the past," Peabody replied. "I did a little
digging, and the relative turned out to be Lyle Masters, the Pokémon
researcher. Do you know anything about that?"

Leif sighed, and answered, "I do, actually. I was the one who led that raid.
That was one of the greatest blunders that ever happened on my watch. If you
find this person, give her my condolences. No child deserves to lose a relative
when they're so young."

With those words, Leif left the room. Peabody pocketed the envelope, then
closed the window after him as Sven finished cleaning up after Poochyena. The
little pup, meanwhile, continued scampering about on the ground.

"So, let's see what we ended up with," Sven egged Peabody on.

With a shrug, Peabody opened the Poké Ball in his hands, and the Pokémon
within coalesced before them.

Much to Sven's pleasure, it was a large, strong, powerful-looking Pokémon.

Much to his displeasure, it wasn't a Water-type.

"Rhyyy," the large gray Rhydon yawned as he stretched his rocky arms out.

"A Rhydon?" Sven asked in disbelief. "I wanted big and powerful, not some
stupid rock thing!"

The Rhydon narrowed his eyes at Sven, and said in a guttural voice, "Me not
some stupid rock thing, thank you very much."

"A talking Rhydon?" Peabody asked. "Wow. I've heard of talking Pokémon
before, but this is the first time I've seen one."

"Me very pleased that you approve, really," the Rhydon noted sarcastically.
"Now, me more interested in food than anything else. Where nearest buffet
serving chicken?"

"Not very far," Peabody answered. "But chicken for breakfast?"

"It very good for heart and have nice amount of proteins," the Rhydon argued
matter-of-factly. "And before either of you give me strange nickname, me
already gotten one."

"What would that be, 'Rocky'?" Sven asked, unimpressed.

The Rhydon looked at him once more and corrected him loudly, "Grimlock name,
thank you. And if you get wrong again, me give you full dose of Flamethrower
attack at point blank range, then Stomp on corpse. This understood?"

"You're bluffing," Sven tested.

Grimlock leaned forward, making certain that Sven could get a detailed look
at his serrated, drill-like horn, and asked, "Do me look like need to bluff?"

Considering his options, Sven grumbled and recalled Poochyena before heading
towards the door. "The buffet's a couple blocks north."

"Good man," Grimlock replied with a smile. As Sven exited hearing range, he
commented, "Me enjoy intelligence when dealing with coworkers. Make sense?"

"Actually yeah," Peabody replied. As he exited the room, followed by
Grimlock, he replied, "By the way, I'm Peabody, and that's Sven. I hope you
enjoy your time with us."

"Me think me will," Grimlock noted with a chuckle.

TBC?

William Rendfeld
Creator of Echowarrior and Alex Masters
178,000 Excellent Author Points
1 'I knew odd pokefacts that confused a bread crumb' point.
20 Y2Tech Points

"William Rendfeld" <warendfeld@aol.com> wrote in message
> a familiar voice noted.
>
> Peabody noted
>
> Leif noted
>
> the Rhydon noted
>
> Grimlock noted

Seeing as I commended your use of dialogue elsewhere, I thought I'd bully
you a bit for overuse of that particular tag.

But anyway, to the main purpose of this post.

> The Rhydon looked at him once more and corrected him loudly, "Grimlock
name,
> thank you."

Just don't start. >:eek: Sure, now it's just a throwaway reference, but soon
Jason will receive a Noctowl delivering a letter from Hogwarts' school of
Witchcraft and Wizardry and BAM! Welcome to Weaverville.

Steffan

>> The Rhydon looked at him once more and corrected him loudly, "Grimlock
>name,
>> thank you."
>
>Just don't start. >:eek: Sure, now it's just a throwaway reference, but soon
>Jason will receive a Noctowl delivering a letter from Hogwarts' school of
>Witchcraft and Wizardry and BAM! Welcome to Weaverville.

Nah. No Harry Potter referencing. I promise right now, I'll keep references to
Animés and cool toylines from the 80's to a minimum.

And as for my continuing references to a certain animé, well, I intend to poke
a little fun at myself due to that later on.

William Rendfeld
Creator of Echowarrior and Alex Masters
178,000 Excellent Author Points
1 'I knew odd pokefacts that confused a bread crumb' point.
20 Y2Tech Points

>And as for my continuing references to a certain animé

You realize that the word "anime" has origins both in English and Japanese,
neither of which has accent marks, right?

Jose L. Solano
-------------------------------
A devious, degenerate defender of the devil
-------------------------------
"It's too damn safe."

>>And as for my continuing references to a certain animé
>
>You realize that the word "anime" has origins both in English and Japanese,
>neither of which has accent marks, right?

Yes, but I use the accent to help differenciate Japanese animation from Western
animation. Keeps things from being confusing, you see.

Good idea at the time, anyway.

William Rendfeld
Creator of Echowarrior and Alex Masters
178,000 Excellent Author Points
1 'I knew odd pokefacts that confused a bread crumb' point.
20 Y2Tech Points

>Yes, but I use the accent to help differenciate Japanese animation from
>Western
>animation. Keeps things from being confusing, you see.

I dunno, most people associate the word anime with Japanese animation already.
Western animation is just "cartoons."

Animation is a medium, not a genre! Stupid media world.

Jose L. Solano
-------------------------------

Jose L. Solano wrote:
> Animation is a medium, not a genre! Stupid media world.

Be my friend. Please.

--
MechaGojira #28
http://www.rocketpunch.net

>> Animation is a medium, not a genre! Stupid media world.
>>

>Be my friend. Please.

Friendship cannot be earned, only bought.

Jose L. Solano
-------------------------------

MechaGojira - The Sword Which Cleaveth Evil wrote:
> I COULD JUST BE CRAZY THOUGH!!1

Ah, but who is to say who is sane? Those who have not seen the very
same universe as you? But then, if God is infinite, and the universe is
also infinite, would you like a toasted tea cake?

....sorry. Couldn't resist. ^_^;

Jose L. Solano wrote:
>>>Animation is a medium, not a genre! Stupid media world.
>>
>>Be my friend. Please.
>
> Friendship cannot be earned, only bought.

And your asking price is...?

>>>Be my friend. Please.
>>
>> Friendship cannot be earned, only bought.
>
>And your asking price is...?

A Dr Pepper works as a "hello," but if you expect me to listen to you after
that, you need to get me a robot.

Jose L. Solano

Newton P. Haights wrote:
> "Jose L. Solano" <jsolano199@aol.comlink> wrote in message
>>>
>>>And your asking price is...?
>>
>>A Dr Pepper works as a "hello," but if you expect me to listen to you after
>>that, you need to get me a robot.
>
> Will a toaster do?
>
> ...sorry, I was looking for the quote from Adrian's post.

Actually, a vending machine robot might be better. Dr. P all day, until
it runs out. At which point, unless it can get refills, it's toast. ;)