alton3262000

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
why 4 pci express slots?????? 4 video cards sli bridged? and memory? 8 gig but four slots?????thats 2gig a slot? 2,500 $$ for 4 two gig slots?? how much is 2 gig single stick of memory???.......i need help to understand how will 4 video cards work together....i do understand 2 with a bridge but four? at four hundred a pop?? for the gtx 8800...... and the dual core fx-74 at 550$$$ each .then buy the new quad at 600$$$ each later this year...will it be a 1207 "F" socket?????? i read about the "L" socket as quad....does anyone have the asus L1n64 mb this seems to be a nightmare to build.. i could use less of a video card, less memory and less of a cpu but why i already have that.....

Why 4 PCI Express slots? Why have four video cards SLI bridged? And as for memory?8GB's but only four DIMM slots? That's 2gig a slot! That amounts to $2,500 for four two GB slots? How much is 2GB single stick of memory? I need help to understand how will four video cards work together, I do understand two cards with a bridge, but four? At four hundred a pop for the 8800GTX and the dual core FX-74 at $550 each, then buy the new Quad at $600 each later this year? Will it be a 1207 "F" socket? I read about the "L" socket as a possible quad core socket, can anyone clarify this for me? Does anyone have the Asus L1N64 motherboard? This seems to be a nightmare to build. I could use a cheaper video card, less memory and a lower model CPU but why (do?) I already have that?
Edited for clarity.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
why 4 pci express slots?????? 4 video cards sli bridged? and memory? 8 gig but four slots?????thats 2gig a slot? 2,500 $$ for 4 two gig slots?? how much is 2 gig single stick of memory???.......i need help to understand how will 4 video cards work together....i do understand 2 with a bridge but four? at four hundred a pop?? for the gtx 8800...... and the dual core fx-74 at 550$$$ each .then buy the new quad at 600$$$ each later this year...will it be a 1207 "F" socket?????? i read about the "L" socket as quad....does anyone have the asus L1n64 mb this seems to be a nightmare to build.. i could use less of a video card, less memory and less of a cpu but why i already have that.....

First, Quad SLI currently consists of two dual CPU cards. The reason for the four slots is to have 8 monitors.

Second, QFX only supports 4GB currently which can be gotten for anywhere from DDR2 400 prices to DDR2 1066 prices.

You can still buy 4 512MB RAM chips or 4 1MB RAM chips. You can even buy one video card and one chip.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

First, Quad SLI currently consists of two dual CPU cards. The reason for the four slots is to have 8 monitors.

Second, QFX only supports 4GB currently which can be gotten for anywhere from DDR2 400 prices to DDR2 1066 prices.

You can still buy 4 512MB RAM chips or 4 1MB RAM chips. You can even buy one video card and one chip.

First, QUAD SLI consists of two dual GPU cards -- running this cards in SLI will likely bottle neck at the FX-74. I expect you mean GPU and not CPU. Configuring (if it were possible) 4 Quad cards is useful if you wish to drive many monitors, but for quadSLI so to speak, will not work well --- Hexus.Net did a commentary that SLI slows significantly unless you slot up the cards correctly.

Second, QFX supprts upto 8 GB with 2 GB DIMM modules, just like any DT board.

You don't even know your own dream platform.

Oh God, it's my other stalker. See what I mean about simple typos? Obviously I meant dual GPUs. And I asked people who sell the thing and the slots are limited to 1GB chips.

AMD supposedly asked fo rhat so they could differentiate between QFX and 2xxx.

It's not my dream platform, it's just two CPU sockets.

alton3262000

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
why is it that this place is not a real place for people to read and learn??? the way people respond here sure does make you think there is a problem with communcation....does anyone have a asus mb L1n64?? or will someone just respond with things like " The flip top flap without a strap" or lifes not a chair of bowlies.......i'm upsidedown am i talking alright?...my airmattress blew through the roof screaming nobody loves me nobody cares

why is it that this place is not a real place for people to read and learn??? the way people respond here sure does make you think there is a problem with communication....does anyone have a asus mb L1n64?? or will someone just respond with things like " The flip top flap without a strap" or life's not a chair of bowlies.......I'm upsidedown am i talking alright?...my air mattress blew through the roof screaming nobody loves me nobody cares
There is nothing wrong in wanting to learn. But you could do us the favor of at least having your post be legible. If English isn't your first language state that and we'll accommodate you and for the most part overlook any spelling and grammatical errors. I'll help you, but I need to be able to read what you write first.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Well you get onto everyone else for typos... and I am not stalking you

Except this person who everyone else called out for bad grammar, etc. Call a QFX reseller and ask them. I have been everywhere to find that out. It's amazing you can remember all these times I was supposedly wrong but can't remember me saying that I may not get it because of that.

Stalk someone else. Opteron Dual with ECC tops at at above $3000 with 8GB.

With all of your NUMA talk you would think you would realize that two sockets with 2 banks each IS NOT the same as 1 socket with 4 banks.

You're much better at regurgitation and link searches. Stick with that.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
And I asked people who sell the thing and the slots are limited to 1GB chips.
I dont give a flying F**k what some idiot salesman says, and if you are trying to use a salesmans word as factual evidence then I say its a about time you were taken out back and flogged.

The manufacturer, you know the people that actually designed the board, say it will take 8GB max.

Asus
Hows that for a regurgitated search.

Could you just possibly for once try not to be such a damned idiot.