Firewall blocking Norton live update

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
November 3, 2004 4:12:36 PM

This is not a win2k problem per se, but I couldn't think of a better
place to ask; as far as I could tell, there are no Norton specific ng's,
& I could not find any forums on the Symantec site. I run Norton Anti
Virus/Internet Security 2002, up to date subscription until next year.
For some reason, out of the blue Live Update will only run if I disable
the firewall (also Norton). Looking in the personal
firewall/application access settings, all needed .exe's seem to be set
to "permit all". Any ideas what I might do to reset this? If not,
where might be a more appropriate place to post this question?

TIA

Dan
November 3, 2004 4:25:16 PM

I should say I am running win2k on the machine in question.

Dan

Dan wrote:

> This is not a win2k problem per se, but I couldn't think of a better
> place to ask; as far as I could tell, there are no Norton specific ng's,
> & I could not find any forums on the Symantec site. I run Norton Anti
> Virus/Internet Security 2002, up to date subscription until next year.
> For some reason, out of the blue Live Update will only run if I disable
> the firewall (also Norton). Looking in the personal
> firewall/application access settings, all needed .exe's seem to be set
> to "permit all". Any ideas what I might do to reset this? If not,
> where might be a more appropriate place to post this question?
>
> TIA
>
> Dan
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 2:11:37 AM

You need to reconfigure the firewall. What may have happened is that a new
version of a file/executable is being used and the firewall is protecting
you by believing that the new file is malicious. Software firewalls often
make an application rule and then make a md5 hash of the application to
check each time the application is run. If the hashes do not match it is
refused. I am not familiar with Norton Firewall but there should be some way
to modify/update the application rule to allow the "new" version of the
file. -- Steve
'

"Dan" <po98ujh9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o y8U4JdwEHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I should say I am running win2k on the machine in question.
>
> Dan
>
> Dan wrote:
>
>> This is not a win2k problem per se, but I couldn't think of a better
>> place to ask; as far as I could tell, there are no Norton specific ng's,
>> & I could not find any forums on the Symantec site. I run Norton Anti
>> Virus/Internet Security 2002, up to date subscription until next year.
>> For some reason, out of the blue Live Update will only run if I disable
>> the firewall (also Norton). Looking in the personal firewall/application
>> access settings, all needed .exe's seem to be set to "permit all". Any
>> ideas what I might do to reset this? If not, where might be a more
>> appropriate place to post this question?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Dan
Related resources
November 4, 2004 5:56:01 PM

Steven-Thanks for the reply. The firewall is configured to ask anytime
a new executable attempts to connect to the Internet; I would have
expected it to do this in the event some new program was attempting to
do so, but no such permission has been sought. At this point I'm
thinking simple disabling the firewall when updating may be the easiest
solution.

Dan

Steven L Umbach wrote:

> You need to reconfigure the firewall. What may have happened is that a new
> version of a file/executable is being used and the firewall is protecting
> you by believing that the new file is malicious. Software firewalls often
> make an application rule and then make a md5 hash of the application to
> check each time the application is run. If the hashes do not match it is
> refused. I am not familiar with Norton Firewall but there should be some way
> to modify/update the application rule to allow the "new" version of the
> file. -- Steve
> '
>
> "Dan" <po98ujh9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o y8U4JdwEHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
>>I should say I am running win2k on the machine in question.
>>
>>Dan
>>
>>Dan wrote:
>>

>>>This is not a win2k problem per se, but I couldn't think of a better
>>>place to ask; as far as I could tell, there are no Norton specific ng's,
>>>& I could not find any forums on the Symantec site. I run Norton Anti
>>>Virus/Internet Security 2002, up to date subscription until next year.
>>>For some reason, out of the blue Live Update will only run if I disable
>>>the firewall (also Norton). Looking in the personal firewall/application
>>>access settings, all needed .exe's seem to be set to "permit all". Any
>>>ideas what I might do to reset this? If not, where might be a more
>>>appropriate place to post this question?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>>Dan

Anonymous
November 5, 2004 3:09:45 AM

I was just thinking that possibly the executable used for Windows Update has
been changed on your computer, possibility during an update. You might try
deleting the application rule that allows Windows Update and then see if the
firewall will prompt you the next time you use it at which time you could
select it to be allowed. I had something similar happen to me once after an
update to Internet Explorer. --- Steve

!