Upcoming 32X or ?64X (x4?) Pci-e Slot.

thomasxstewart

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
:idea: Todays Game Card Announcements from ATI & Nvidia state that 2800 & 8950 relesed in May "7 will be 128 lane (ati) & 196 Lane game cards. LANE is bandwidth Definative.

Well, Peoples, 196 Lanes WILL NOT fit into todays 55 level controllers with 48 lanes, even with extreme up D' Wall parseing. However, first you need games in gb (s) size to fill lanes & that too cann't be far off. Intel announced new chipset in summer & I believe at this time that Pci-e slot will have to be enlarged & multiplied on mainboard until at least 128 lanes are possible. That means bigger slot or 16X with substantially more bandwidth.

IBM is putting memory back on CPU again to control memory situation & then Vista Ultimate will also run smooth as CREAM. It runs good now, yet will 64 bit memory address now at 32 gb in 690 chipsets, with so many lanes & memory faster interaction is needed & hopefully Vista is new kid with plan to control all that.

No matter if new slot emerges at first or takes some time, such increase in bandwidth means old stuff & next generation arn't going to work together that well, As any gamer knows, equipment for top game must meet its specifications, & they will be 32X times four. with 64X times 3 also possible. if you can take pins & controllers associated with next Gen 16X & double bandwidth you can interchange hardware with limited success, yet at some point those compromises must be taken out & new socket used to isolate new technology. When, When will 32X slot be introduced, I had hoped last year that it would come out as then one game card in one slot with one set of 51 40 lane controllers would be Peaches. Yet instead extra game card slots continued. More than 55 level could handle, which is 48 lane.

So with four slot archetecture its obivious four card solution leading to 128 lane potenial is in mix. (at least to me).I also once asked if Nazi State IS 51st State :idea: , so maybe i'm not fully informed, YET i'M INTO free MARKET CONTROLLED BY mARKS, NOT FORCED (pARSED) LABOUR..However, it seems very possible that everyone with 51 level controller, up to 590 chipset are left back in XP era.

Signed:pHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART VON DRASHEK M.D.

Iam_a_pc

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
thomasxstewart said:
:idea: Todays Game Card Announcements from ATI & Nvidia state that 2800 & 8950 relesed in May "7 will be 128 lane (ati) & 196 Lane game cards. LANE is bandwidth Definative.

Well, Peoples, 196 Lanes WILL NOT fit into todays 55 level controllers with 48 lanes, even with extreme up D' Wall parseing. However, first you need games in gb (s) size to fill lanes & that too cann't be far off. Intel announced new chipset in summer & I believe at this time that Pci-e slot will have to be enlarged & multiplied on mainboard until at least 128 lanes are possible. That means bigger slot or 16X with substantially more bandwidth.

You must have read wrong. Its shaders, not lanes

thomasxstewart

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Shaders or lanes, basicly its total bandwidth. 8950 will have twice bandwidth, even though it has considerably more shaders, 4x.

One thing to Latte' Java about is why do two cards work no better than one? Its simple, one card has enough power to use entire bandwidth. Remember when 16X turned out to be 8X & two slots made final output of 16x, yet for only one slot of two? Its something of same thing I'm speaking OF. That to use 48 shaders of bandwidth you need 3 16X slots to get bandwidth, yet one 48 SHADER card will use it 3 SLOTS OF 4 up & THOSE EMPTYr slots are just hardware design to support that bandwidth or use with lower bandwidth cards that work together to produce total bandwidth potential, thats where accessory 16X cards came in, to use any extra bandwidth.

Tomorows cards will have up to 150 mb/sec through put, bandwidth. while todays top 8800 has 80 mb/sec bandwidth, so nextgeneration of mainboards is going to need controllers that have twice bandwidth potential, so one 150 mb/sec game card can fit in one slot, no matter how many slots have to be on mainboard to generate that bandwidth maximum.

See my Point? Maybe not. Perhaps, Children lets say if each 16X slot bandwidth doubles to accomadate new 2800 XTX, isn't that 32X slot in bandwidth? & can't four slot multiplier effect, even if only one card is inserted be better if 32X is bandwidth of each slot?

Question of when bandwidth is too much for older cards or that newer cards will not recieve total potential bandwidth in 16X as its actually double that on card , more than slots enginneered bandwidth, is where failures start & that you ethier need 8 game cards in 16X slots or slot labeled with its true potential bandwidth output that is 32X, or people will put 150 mb/sec cards into system that only have 80 mb/sec potential as slots labed 16X won't all be same, you paid for what cann't be in some cases, yet very hard to tell what one has without correct labeling.

32X slot would start that new generation of gamecards with no extra grandfathering in of lower bandwidth, meaning higher bandwidths won't be racked with additional controller functions that just slow it down to previous, lower speed, like finding 16X slot really only produced 8X, Therefor two slots had to be on mainboard to produce one 16X "true" slot.Now 4 slots are needed & 8950/2500 series needs 8 slots or faster slot.

Also spilling coffee all over yourself might help you understand, yet I don't drink coffe, :oops: most likely you all do.

Signed:pHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART VON DRASHEK M.D.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Tomorows cards will have up to 150 mb/sec through put, bandwidth. while todays top 8800 has 80 mb/sec bandwidth, so nextgeneration of mainboards is going to need controllers that have twice bandwidth potential, so one 150 mb/sec game card can fit in one slot, no matter how many slots have to be on mainboard to generate that bandwidth maximum.

Hmm.... each PCI-e lane in duplex is rated at 512MB/s..... so bite me.

Oh, you must have forgotten your tin foil hat when you wrote this... I may forgive you for it. Next time go to the nice house with white padded walls, it's nice and comfy and there are people there to help you.

Iam_a_pc

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
PCI-e 16x has a max bandwith of 4gbs each way. i dont know what your smoking. but can i have some. Seriously the agp bus can handle the 8800gtx

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
mabey if we dont post anything he'll go away?

supposedly the X2900XTX will use all 16x PCI-E bandwidth and rightfly so since its rumored to have 2 HDMI slots and what not, its going to be a beast of a graphics card (hell just look at the size and rumored power draw)

*fyi there will be no X2800, its been named the X2900 since its going against the 8900s,

just a lil somethin somethin

EDIT oh yea and there is no official release date and i doubt it will be May 7th, it will most likely be in April (at least for ATI)

pauldh

Illustrious
Hey thx, good point. I wish some of our highways had 196 lanes. As it is 5-6 each direction still gets aweful congested around rush hour. Then add one accident, and forget about it. And shoot with that many, they could afford to put my name on one as I have always wanted that ever since seeing Bob get one on TV. Anyway, me thinks you should watch what your smokin' in your pixel-pipe. Too much of the wrong slot will cripple your already inadequate memory interface. :roll:

immagikman

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Dude, you might have been better off with a preamble to the first post giving us a clue as to where you were going :)

That was some rant you went on.... In the end what I will say is.....Technology is going to change continuously so even if you buy bleeding edge on day 1 at hour x, its going to drop off the bleeding edge on day one hour x+1 or 2 so just go with it :)

pauldh

Illustrious
:D thx. Not sure why but I'm only here for laughs and kicks right now. Maybe it's just the lack of anything new to read. I don't even drink yet I'm feeling/acting silly drunk tonight. Yet for some reason I refuse to put an end to this enjoyable night. Oh well, I better hit the sack and let you guys get all serious again.

immagikman

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Just an OT post about your sig....if the application only sees one CPU....run another App on the other core :)

Now if the OS only sees one......