Sign in with
Your question

Slow / Choppy Video and slow window redraw

Last response: in Windows 7
July 13, 2011 4:36:29 PM

I just built a new system and I noticed VLC/Media Player Classic and other players are choppy when watching AVI files. MKV files seem to be OK, but AVI (DivX, Xvid, etc) all seem to start playing but gets choppy shortly after. Flash videos on say Youtube are fine up to 1080p.

I've read quite a few sites online saying to turn on hardware decoding and such which I have, and they seem to help a little but nothing substantial. I went from a AMD x2 6000 running the same videos flawlessly to my new system being so choppy I have to turn the video off (by sheer annoyance). I should note that I'm streaming it from a file server I have running, but that ran fine even on my old system. I tried copying the video locally and same problem.

Things I've tried:

1. Disabling (and re-enabling) Intel SpeedStep
2. Disabling (and re-enabling) C1E
3. Setting affinity to VLC/MPC/WMP to 1 core

Whats frustrating is that gaming is AMAZING, but something as simple as a top gear episode jitters. :fou: 

Here is my current build (I should note I used TH to piece it all together, thanks for all the reviews!):

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Motherboard: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3)
GPU: EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series HX750
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb (2x in a raid 0)
Wireless: Linksys WUSB600N (connecting at 270Mbps)

PS: I will be going SSD soon but it wasn't in my original build cost.

Any help would be appreciated.
July 13, 2011 5:02:29 PM

Just a quick update, I found that when running a video and opening say Notepad, and wiggling the window on the screen, I can practically make the video stop in its tracks.

Really strange..
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2011 5:23:07 PM

what is the ram/cpu usage during the avi running?
Related resources
July 13, 2011 5:39:23 PM

VLC's the biggest offender

CPU: 00-01%
Memory: 58,000 K

MPC is roughly about the same.
July 13, 2011 5:42:13 PM

Also another update, I can get it to happen with MKV's as well, in a windowed mode I just wiggle the Task Manager window on the screen and I can literally get the video to freeze.
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2011 5:50:44 PM

What is the gpu usage (i doubt it because dvix is not accelerated) but check anyway.
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2011 6:10:37 PM

What video card are you using? Hopefully not the integrated IntelĀ® HD Graphics 2000, they still suck.
July 13, 2011 6:13:06 PM

Pyree said:
What is the gpu usage (i doubt it because dvix is not accelerated) but check anyway.

What software can I use for that? NMonitor crashes my system, and RivaTuner doesn't have an option for it?

EDIT: Found GPU-Z, back in a moment.

das_stig said:
What video card are you using? Hopefully not the integrated IntelĀ® HD Graphics 2000, they still suck.

EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570
July 13, 2011 6:21:21 PM

July 13, 2011 6:46:31 PM

Another update.

Looks like Speedstep is still taking control, it throttles up to 3.4 but ht en back to 1.5 once the jitters start.

Going to go back over the BIOS to see what I missed.
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2011 6:55:47 PM

is your system overclocked? what version of CCCP do you have installed?
July 13, 2011 7:33:11 PM

No, all defaults.

I haven't installed CCCP, just K-Lite. Should I be using CCCP or something else?
July 13, 2011 8:23:02 PM

Another update, spoke to ASRock (mobo manufacturer), then had me check a few settings and all were correct in the motherboard.

Their answer "well with video decoding if you are doing other items it may cause playback issues".

My question to them then was "how was it that my X2 6000 with 4gb of ram out performed this new rig when watching DVD's on my 2nd monitor and I could browse the internet without skipping".

They didn't have much to say.

I uninstalled K-Lite and installed CCCP, thanks for the tip, didn't fix the problem, but I really like how minimal it is.
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2011 9:34:30 PM

well I just wanted to make sure you are using the latest codecs.
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2011 9:34:35 PM

"I just built a new system and I noticed VLC/Media Player Classic and other players are choppy when watching AVI files. MKV files seem to be OK, but AVI (DivX, Xvid, etc) all seem to start playing but gets choppy shortly after. Flash videos on say Youtube are fine . "

Had that too. I have Sapphire (HD 5550 2GB under WinXP-Sp3, C2D6750) and video started to act like yours(choppy, but not only avi - all video for me. Online video was fine)...

Installed and re-installed drivers for HD 5550,Installed and re-installed windows too. Fixed by installing oldest driver for HD 5550...

<Did not happened at all when used Media Player Classic>

Beets me how that happens, maybe just updating drivers has to do something with it....?

Also no problem under Win 7 or Linux
July 13, 2011 9:42:11 PM

nikorr said:
Had that too. I have Sapphire (HD 5550 2GB under WinXP-Sp3, C2D6750) and video started to act like yours... Installed and re-installed drivers for HD 5550,Installed and re-installed windows too. Fixed by installing oldest driver for HD 5550...

Also no problem under Win 7 or Linux

That's a good idea, I generally just grab the latest online, but I'll go back and install from the CD and see if that helps or pull one from archive to see and test from there.

I'll report after I've tried that.

AntiZig said:
well I just wanted to make sure you are using the latest codecs.

I appreciate the tip, definitely like it better!

Thanks to all the folks offering advice so far!
July 14, 2011 12:43:23 AM

Still no luck with either the first gen drivers that support the 570 GTX (nVidia 266.58) all the way through to the most recent (275.33). I tried installing the beta drivers (275.50) but I haven't seen any improvement.

Could this be something todo with the hard drive speeds and maybe needing to upgrade to a SSD setup?
a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2011 12:54:53 AM

Just wake up again, I am in Australia so this is the morning. I doubt HDD have anything to do with it. My ancient northwood P4 HTPC can play 1080p mkv video alright with with a HD3870 and a 7200rpm sata drive.
July 14, 2011 1:11:19 AM

Well Good morning then! Heh.

Exactly! That's why this is so strange, if I was OCing and did a setting wrong I could see that, but ASRock went through each setting and verified its setup perfectly.

I went back through and verified the MB is compatible with the Memory, CPU compatible with both MB and Memory, verified with EVGA that the video card is compatible. I did speak to G.Skill, EVGA, and ASRock and they all verified the hardware should work fine together, each item is certified to be used with each other.

ASRock is overnighting me a new board to be sure, should be here tomorrow afternoon so I'll swap and try that.

I also have my old X2 6000 and will load the card into that with my Win7 install there and see if I have the same problem, if so, then its the video card.

Lots to do lots to do... I'll test the VC here in a few minutes.
July 14, 2011 2:20:29 AM

So here's a funny thing...

A video chops up when idling right?

Crysis 2, ULTRA mode, 1920x1200, v-sync on, dx11 addon pack, high res texture pack addon pack, 40fps average... WTH? Ha!

I don't get it. Its like Windows 7 itself has a problem with moving windows around and stuff...
a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2011 2:24:32 AM

Can you get msi afterburner and set the gpu core, memory and shader clock to default even when accelerating video?
July 14, 2011 2:35:10 AM

I installed MSI Afterburner, how exactly would I do that. They are set to the specs on EVGA's site.
a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2011 2:47:59 AM

You have to set the program to allow unofficial overclocking by editing MSIAfterburner.cfg. In your folder where the program is installed make a backup copy of the cfg file. Also make another copy in another location for editing. Change the extension of the edit copy of MSIAfterburner.cfg to txt and open it with notepad. Enter without qoute "I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it" to UnofficialOverclockingEULA and set UnofficialOverclockingMode = 2. Save and exit and change extension back to cfg and replace original file.
July 14, 2011 3:07:46 AM

I will try this and let you know shortly.

So here's a strange thing.. I noticed this was happening on my 2nd monitor (extended) [sorry, I'm so used to doing this I didn't think about bringing it up]. If I move my browser to my primary monitor and place my browser on the extended monitor, and then browse, the video has no jitters (the test video I'm using).

Even VLC that jittered before now plays the video flawlessly.

So it looks like if the video is NOT on the primary monitor, it jitters... Ever heard of this?
a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2011 3:12:25 AM

No. At least it didn't do that on my duo monitor setup. Now I think it is a problem with duo output handling. Can your get another version of driver?
July 14, 2011 3:18:03 AM

I've tried the 266.58 and up to the newest driver, all does the same :|
a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2011 3:20:24 AM

Can you swap the monitor around?
July 14, 2011 3:21:44 AM

Just did, it follows the primary monitor (the one that has the windows taskbar).
a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2011 3:30:17 AM

The monitors, are they the same model?
July 14, 2011 3:38:49 AM

Yup, ASUS VH236H.
a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2011 4:25:28 AM

Sorry, I run out of ideas.
July 14, 2011 4:30:22 AM

At this point I'm just going to chalk it up to a random weird issue, I'll swap out the mobo and if that doesn't solve it I'm just going to throw in the towel. The videos work on the primary screen just fine so I'll just run it that way.

It plays games perfectly so I'm not going to rock the boat any more then I have to.

Thank you for all the assistance Pyree!
a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2011 4:33:55 AM

Wait! Just got an idea. Can you disable aero and try.
July 14, 2011 4:42:10 AM

Wow. That fixed it!

But now of course Aero is off... So if Aero is off and it works OK, some directx issue?
a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2011 4:49:10 AM

Yes, most likely aero is interfering with the graphic process. Try window update if it is not already. If window update doesn't help I guess you just have to live with it.
July 18, 2011 3:13:51 AM

Just an update.

I RMA'd the motherboard and that didn't solve it.

I swapped the video card for my old 8800GT and that didn't solve it, so its not a GPU / driver issue.

I'm going to swing by the local computer store and pick up some different RAM and test with that, if that resolves it I'll be returning my current RAM and trying something different..
July 20, 2011 11:41:14 PM

Did the new RAM help? I have a similiar setup and was noticing some choppiness with my setup. I have the same RAM and cpu. I'm wondering if the 4GB is just too much for 1 dim/stick of RAM
July 21, 2011 4:41:22 AM

It didn't.

BUT, I figured out the issue. I feel a little stupid but I've NEVER had to check this before.

I went in to the physical monitor settings (Windows Configuration, not nVidia's) and it showed the refresh rate at 60 Mhz (which is right for my LCD's), but there was another option for 59 Mhz. I change it to that and BAM, everything is working better then amazing.

I have no idea why, but it must have something to do with drivers or something, but I can't be happier with my setup now.
a b $ Windows 7
July 21, 2011 5:25:50 AM

Good to hear you fixed it.
July 22, 2011 1:50:21 AM

Pyree said:
Good to hear you fixed it.

Thanks for all your help!
a b $ Windows 7
August 14, 2011 9:15:44 PM

U got it done.^
!