Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How many years will the ATI $600 graphics card last for ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 16, 2007 3:13:45 AM

Hey guys i was wondering that how long could an investment in a 600 dollar card last at a maximum resolution of 1600x1200 with max detail and everything on like HDR etc

How long would i be able to like game on this resolution with say new Ati x2800xtx which will be coming out soon.

I dont want to change my graphic card for about 3 - 4years.

a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2007 3:24:24 AM

No card will last 3-4 years and still play 1600x1200 max eye candy. That would be the last thing anyone would want...it would mean the games aren't getting any better looking.

A X2800XTX or 2800XTX2 should last 3-4 years, but be prepared to start sacrificing resolution, detail levels, or eye candy within the first year or so that you own it.
February 16, 2007 3:29:37 AM

So how long should like the card last i dont want to spend 600 dollars to game for a year with everything jacked up that is just nuts.

Hmm but if i were to put my question differently i dont play FPS and mostly play strategy racing and RPG

so would that make the card last longer , cause IMHO its the FPS that require loads of horse power , is that right

thank you :) 
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2007 3:34:19 AM

It depends. Look at Oblivion, one of the most graphically demanding games out there. I just can't recall nor imagine there ever beening a card that can max out the best games 3-4 years down the road. You buy the best, it will last longer just like the Radeon 9700 pro'd did. But even a top of the line card usually gets matched by a midrange card a year later and it's a budget performer in 3-4 years.
February 16, 2007 3:40:07 AM

Yeah no sli or crossfire setup can do 3-4 years of max everything, you will have to start lowering settings but it WILL last, just not max everything.
February 16, 2007 3:44:29 AM

Here is what i understand :

I should buy the card

and

when i remake my computer probably in 08

then i should get a crossfire board and put another one in it .

is that a good upgrade plan :?
February 16, 2007 3:48:11 AM

Depending of how serious a gamer you are, do you jump from one game to another or are you more hardcore and play a specific game for several years before moving to a new game? If you are hardcore then the card should last you a few years, but if you keep changen well thats something you have to live with.
February 16, 2007 3:56:00 AM

No i generally stick to a certain game and thats about it , i mean unless i finish it and then i move on .

I love strategy games and racing , which is what i like the most . The occasional RPG like Diablo or Oblivion i pick up once in a while the reason for this is that i dont get that much time to game as i am working and i only game for a short while like a 1 or 2 hours a day if i get the time .

Otherwise my gaming is left for the weekend :( 

Fps well i am not a majour fps fan and so only an occasional game like far cry or say Fear take my fancy but that is very rare.

Although i am a fan of the UNREAL series. :) 
February 16, 2007 4:42:31 AM

Max everything is an expensive 600 dollar a year habbit.

That's why I like mid-range cards, 200 bucks every year for near-max performance is a little more affordable than dropping 600 dollar bombs every couple of years. My X850XT I must say was more of a mistake than anything (for my budget), even though it was great at first. About a year and a half after spending 500 bucks on it, Oblivion was getting pretty choppy outdoors and in battles, plus I had no HDR. Spent $550 dollars on a total system overhaul moving to PCI-Express, DDR2 and Dual-Core with a $160 7600GT performing just aswell if not better than the X850XT plus HDR.

If you put this into a perspective of making $600 last 3 years, an X2800XT will take you maybe a year and a half strong, and weakly into that third year, whereas a $200 dollar card in that third year will perform much better.
February 16, 2007 5:00:47 AM

Hmm so should i like get a 300 dollar card this year and get another 300 dollar the next year.

See here is the thing i dont want to spend over 300 dollars for a High end card every year, so i had thought that getting a 600 dollar card will last me over a couple of years.

So 600 divided by say about 2 and half years or so would give me about 225 dollars a year performance :) 

which way would i benefit better , currently i own a x1800 gto and it struggles with new games , but i can play them although at reduced eye candy .

I dont want to pick up a PS3 as getting 10 games a year will almost cost me 600 + dollars not worth it

i would rather spend the money on my PGC (Personal gaming Computer)
February 16, 2007 5:27:05 AM

Well, all I can say is that the new 8800 GTS with 320Mb are pretty damn sweet at 1600x1200 for 300 bucks.
February 16, 2007 5:40:16 AM

Is that GTS with like everything maxed out , would that be good enough to play supreme commander with all the eye candy , i mean like everything on super uber mode :) 
February 16, 2007 8:04:58 AM

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=617&p=4

Here's early benchmarks. They don't show the 320Mb version, but chances are its performance would only be slightly less. (unless it's very memory hungry, which it probably will be.)

The scary part is, the top-of-the-line 8800GTX, released only four months ago for over 600 dollars is now just playable in current games. Four months to go from Insane in everything to a mere 39FPS.
February 16, 2007 8:11:52 AM

The DX10 patch should in theory greatly improve that performance in Supreme Commander though.
February 16, 2007 8:36:27 AM

Im where your are at now.
Should i upgrade my x1600xt to a x1950xt or a 8800gts 320/640?

The x1950xt is still enough for what i play now but in a year or so it will be slow.
The 8800gts costs about $125-225 dollars more here so to go that far will really make me live on water and bread the rest of the month =).

If i go with the x1950xt i can probably get the 8800gts for the same price when its time to upgrade again.
DX10 will not be commonly used until when, a year?.

Imo its better to upgrade often rather then seldom if the total amount of money spent is not changed much.
I mean then i can get what i wan't/need rather then bind me to a certain product/feature for a long time.

Oh and im not thinking hardcore gamer or maxed detail/eye candy but rather the most for the buck at mid level pricing.
If you got the money get the latest and hope it will last long =)
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2007 11:39:18 AM

Quote:
My X850XT I must say was more of a mistake than anything (for my budget), even though it was great at first. About a year and a half after spending 500 bucks on it, Oblivion was getting pretty choppy outdoors and in battles, plus I had no HDR. Spent $550 dollars on a total system overhaul moving to PCI-Express, DDR2 and Dual-Core with a $160 7600GT performing just aswell if not better than the X850XT plus HDR.

Just wanted to comment, that you are seeing smoother gameplay, especially in large battles, do to the faster dual core system upgrade, not going from X850XT to 7600GT. Sure with shadows and shadow filtering enabled those scenes stress the GPU, but they also stress the CPU/system. If anything, the X850XT is a better performing card in Oblivion compared to the 7600GT. Matter of fact, Firingsquad showed the slower clocked X800XL outperformed the 7600GT in Oblivion when both are running FSAA/Bloom.

I here ya on the HDR thing, and that comes down to personal preference as you could run FSAA/bloom before but you can't do FSAA/HDR now. I played Oblivion on a 6800U and a 7800GT, and wasn't happy having to choose between HDR and FSAA. These were 1024x768 cards and the jaggies are just aweful in Oblivion at that res, at least to my eyes as I end up seeing them on every tree trunk I run past, not to mention on NC's, building, etc. Anyway, I have also played Oblivion on a X800XTPe which is about equal to the X850XT. I would take it's better performance and fsaa over the 6800U's jaggies, HDR, and lower performance anyday (in Oblivion). But that's just my opinion as I do like HDR, but just find the jaggies real annoying/distracting.

Anyway, 7600GT is a nice card, just saying it wasn't an upgrade from a X850XT, especially for Oblivion. You gained HDR, but on the GPU side alone you have given up some performance in that game. A X1650XT would have offered the same performance as the X850XT, plus given you the option of HDR+FSAA at the same time.
February 16, 2007 12:12:29 PM

It will last as long as you are satisfy with the peformance it produces. Really, some people changes their card every year for the next best thing, others less frequently. Each person have their own budget for their hobby.
February 16, 2007 12:30:30 PM

Personally I wouldn't expect any card to play the latest games at the best setting for more that a year. So a new card every year is to be expected and it is only $600.00. The thing that you have to ask yourself is can you live with less that the best. If you can then buy the best and lower you setting in future games.

If you average 2 hours a day playing games then a $600.00 card costs less that a dollar an hour. So changing a card every year really isn’t that bad. You can’t watch a movie for less.
February 16, 2007 1:23:03 PM

Quote:
Is that GTS with like everything maxed out , would that be good enough to play supreme commander with all the eye candy , i mean like everything on super uber mode :) 

you're chasing a dream. flat out. no bullshit about it. your dream is not going to happen. what you're hoping for is a X99000XTXGTXPUltraGTUberMonster RIGHT NOW. that card doesn't exist yet. no video card will last at max settings for more than a year, year and a half. i'm still using a GeForce 7800GT. it's working fine for me. i play FEAR at 1024x768 with max details. i play WoW at 1600x1200 max details. i play UT2004 16x12 maxed. i play a lot of older games maxed... the games that card was meant to beat to a pulp. i play a lot of newer games at compromised settings. i have to. i don't feel like spending a crapload every year for a new card just so my epeen can brag that i have the latest and greatest and i can run everything at 2560x1600. the sweetspot for me is either the 2nd in command (the GTS instead of the GTX, the XT instead of the XTX) or the mid tier card, the 7600GT or the X1650XT. (just examples. don't make assumptions about my preferences, fanboiz)

my advice? go for the 2nd in command. you're not dropping a financial bomb so much, but you ARE getting something to last you into the next 2-3 years.
February 16, 2007 2:59:00 PM

Quote:
Well, all I can say is that the new 8800 GTS with 320Mb are pretty damn sweet at 1600x1200 for 300 bucks.

Amen to that brother!
February 16, 2007 4:14:30 PM

Quote:

Just wanted to comment, that you are seeing smoother gameplay, especially in large battles, do to the faster dual core system upgrade, not going from X850XT to 7600GT.

I was aware, I also intended to state that even computers will start holding back max settings within three years, not just cards. But this is all a while back, X1650XT wasn't around back then, the 7600GTs were still fresh :p .

But also, I am unsure of the VGA charts here on Tom's. I assume they used shadows, because at 1280x1024 with high detail and max vision, no shadows I would never drop below 12FPS in the densest of woods, avg 15, whereas they report something like 6. I had the same with the X850XT with 2x AA as I did with the 7600GT with HDR. But this is all rather irrelevant now xD.
February 16, 2007 4:55:07 PM

You know if I were you, I'd probably just get either a 8600Ultra for 170 when they come out in March, or a 8800GTS 320 meg for 280 npow.
February 16, 2007 5:23:35 PM

Take my advice and dont waste your money - BUY A MID TO HIGH END CARD EVERY 2 YEARS. I invested $280 in my x1900xt. I know in month 20 it wont be performing that well, but then I will upgrade it to another mid to high end card. Thats the only way you can stay on the curve (unless you're rich). Technology changes too quickly man! When I bought this card, DX10 cards were supposed to come out 30 days later, and prices of DX9 cards were falling. I was so torn on which way to go, and I definately made the right choice by STAYING ON THE CURVE. You cant predict what will happen. In 2 years they may have DX10b, at which point you may need a newer card to take advantage of its capabilities!

Crysis isnt expected until year end. I'll make it through till my DX10 card.
February 16, 2007 6:03:02 PM

better spend 300 now and another 300 in 2 years, i have learned it from my experience with pcs
February 16, 2007 6:28:17 PM

By the way, the 8800 GTS for $280 looks like a bargain! Ask others, cause I havent been in the loop for a while and checked prices. Have a look at the THG VGA charts, with Oblivion at 1280X1024 (standard 19 inch screen). Its up there in the top 5. I would definately go with that. Best bang for your buck.
February 16, 2007 6:37:14 PM

Quote:
Hey guys i was wondering that how long could an investment in a 600 dollar card last at a maximum resolution of 1600x1200 with max detail and everything on like HDR etc

How long would i be able to like game on this resolution with say new Ati x2800xtx which will be coming out soon.

I dont want to change my graphic card for about 3 - 4years.

my RD 9800 pro was top notch in its time and lasted me 2 years..
while my X850XT is for the 1 year and will need replacement soon ( as soon the X2800XT gets out ) :p 
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2007 7:39:50 PM

Quote:
I was aware

I figured you were, just wanted to clarify that just in case and for anyone else reading it.

Quote:
But this is all a while back, X1650XT wasn't around back then, the 7600GTs were still fresh

Makes sense, the 7600GT has been an outstanding buy pretty much all along. I just wanted to point out that the X1650XT does both HDR + FSAA. I'm testing one right now and it is quite impressive.

Quote:
But also, I am unsure of the VGA charts here on Tom's. I assume they used shadows, because at 1280x1024 with high detail and max vision, no shadows I would never drop below 12FPS in the densest of woods, avg 15, whereas they report something like 6. I had the same with the X850XT with 2x AA as I did with the 7600GT with HDR.

Yeah, the thing with Oblivion is the exact settings used and what game area is benchmarked, as results sure can vary from review to review. But shoot, even with Fraps or TDT, people can walk around and see how just looking off in a certain direction can cripple their performance. Some of these reviews look for these demanding areas for testing. One things for sure, people have to watch talking about max details, as max means everything cranked and few cards can handle such settings. Yet, we have had people say their 7800GT handles max details smooth as silk. :roll:

Take a look at Anandtechs review. They used their own custom high setting. You can see the X850XT is quite a bit ahead of the 7600GT when you consider the average and especially the low framerate of their most stressful Gate benchmark. Of course neither card is a 1280x1024 card at their settings. But a low of 15 for the X850XT compared to a low of 8 for the 7600GT or even 10 for the 7800GT like I had. Unfortunately I had an AGP 6800U when I bought oblivion, but also had already purchased the hardware for a new PCI-e rig. Unlike for you, I kept the same A64 4000+ and same memory, and found the 7800GT to not be any noticable amount better than the 6800U. Going from those two to a X1800XT was a big jump though.

And Firingsquad used max in game details for their testing. Once again you can see how pitiful my 7800GT was, averaging 13 fps out in the foliage.
February 16, 2007 9:03:33 PM

True, I guess jumping from a 3Ghz P4 Northwood to a 3.8Ghz PD 805 was a bigger leap in Oblivion than I had realized. But now that I have my Core 2, I can't wait to get my 8600 or mid-range R600 card, that will be a very nice increase.
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2007 10:03:51 PM

3.0GHz should have been fine really. Did you upgrade the amount of RAM? Clean OS install too I take it. Those could have a big impact on performance. So could a few little extra Oblivion settings tweaks.
!