Cannot access windowsupdates

March 4, 2005 4:39:10 AM

I just re-installed my XP home operating system, but cannot seem to install
updates from windowsupdate.microsoft.com. My web browser hangs and doesn't
give me any option to install updates. Can you help?

More about : access windowsupdates

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 10:19:56 AM

I recently helped someone who had blocked the Microsoft update manager in
Zone Alarm. It had come up automatically one day and he thought it was
spyware or something...

"ThorneSP" <ThorneSP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just re-installed my XP home operating system, but cannot seem to install
> updates from windowsupdate.microsoft.com. My web browser hangs and
> doesn't
> give me any option to install updates. Can you help?
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 11:05:21 AM

"ThorneSP" <ThorneSP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just re-installed my XP home operating system, but cannot seem to
> install
> updates from windowsupdate.microsoft.com. My web browser hangs and
> doesn't
> give me any option to install updates. Can you help?

Windows Update Fails:
Click on START and the RUN put in each line seen below and clicked on
OK. (do each one line at a time)
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuapi.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuaueng.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\atl.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wucltui.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wups.dll
Disable your anti-virus when obtaining the updates.
Make sure that your firewall is allowing the connection to Windows Update .
This would be on ports 80 and 443.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
If no joy - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
Windows Update Checklist
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
This newsgroup is read by MS staff:
WinXP:
You receive error message 0x80070003 when you try to update Windows from the
Windows Update Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836949
Cannot gain access to Windows Update site:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836987

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"ThorneSP" <ThorneSP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I just re-installed my XP home operating system, but cannot seem to install
>updates from windowsupdate.microsoft.com. My web browser hangs and doesn't
>give me any option to install updates. Can you help?

Post this to
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsupdate, if you do
not get further help from here.

--
(tm)
Anonymous

Have you ran a virus and spyware check? Why did you have to reinstall?

"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> "ThorneSP" <ThorneSP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I just re-installed my XP home operating system, but cannot seem to install
> >updates from windowsupdate.microsoft.com. My web browser hangs and doesn't
> >give me any option to install updates. Can you help?
>
> Post this to
> news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsupdate, if you do
> not get further help from here.
>
> --
> (tm)

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 8:50:28 PM

I get this page when clicking WinUpdate-shortcut
http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/defaul...
(but I have XP in finnish)..

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> kirjoitti viestissä
> "ThorneSP" <ThorneSP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I just re-installed my XP home operating system, but cannot seem to
> > install
> > updates from windowsupdate.microsoft.com. My web browser hangs and
> > doesn't
> > give me any option to install updates. Can you help?
>
> Windows Update Fails:
> Click on START and the RUN put in each line seen below and clicked on
> OK. (do each one line at a time)
> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuapi.dll
> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuaueng.dll
> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\atl.dll
> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wucltui.dll
> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wups.dll
> Disable your anti-virus when obtaining the updates.
> Make sure that your firewall is allowing the connection to Windows Update
..
> This would be on ports 80 and 443.
> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
> If no joy - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
> Windows Update Checklist
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
> This newsgroup is read by MS staff:
> WinXP:
> You receive error message 0x80070003 when you try to update Windows from
the
> Windows Update Web site:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836949
> Cannot gain access to Windows Update site:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836987
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/defau...

March 5, 2005 10:57:48 AM

"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I get this page when clicking WinUpdate-shortcut
> http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/defaul...
> (but I have XP in finnish)..
>

> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> kirjoitti viestissä
>> "ThorneSP" <ThorneSP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I just re-installed my XP home operating system, but cannot seem to
>>> install
>>> updates from windowsupdate.microsoft.com. My web browser hangs and
>>> doesn't
>>> give me any option to install updates. Can you help?
>>
>> Windows Update Fails:
>> Click on START and the RUN put in each line seen below and clicked on
>> OK. (do each one line at a time)
>> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuapi.dll
>> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuaueng.dll
>> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\atl.dll
>> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wucltui.dll
>> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wups.dll
>> Disable your anti-virus when obtaining the updates.
>> Make sure that your firewall is allowing the connection to Windows Update
>> .
>> This would be on ports 80 and 443.
>> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
>> If no joy - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
>> Windows Update Checklist
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
>> This newsgroup is read by MS staff:
>> WinXP:
>> You receive error message 0x80070003 when you try to update Windows from
>> the
>> Windows Update Web site:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836949
>> Cannot gain access to Windows Update site:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836987
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

Your question is?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Not a question, but reminder that XP uses v5 of winupdate..

--

> "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I get this page when clicking WinUpdate-shortcut
> > http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/defaul...
> > (but I have XP in finnish)..
> >

> > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> kirjoitti viestissä
> >> "ThorneSP" <ThorneSP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Windows Update Fails:
> >> Click on START and the RUN put in each line seen below and clicked on
> >> OK. (do each one line at a time)
> >> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuapi.dll
> >> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuaueng.dll
> >> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\atl.dll
> >> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wucltui.dll
> >> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wups.dll
> >> Disable your anti-virus when obtaining the updates.
> >> Make sure that your firewall is allowing the connection to Windows
Update
> >> .
> >> This would be on ports 80 and 443.
> >> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
> >> If no joy - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
> >> Windows Update Checklist
> >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
> >> This newsgroup is read by MS staff:
> >> WinXP:
> >> You receive error message 0x80070003 when you try to update Windows
from
> >> the
> >> Windows Update Web site:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836949
> >> Cannot gain access to Windows Update site:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836987
> >>
> >> --
> >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>
> Your question is?
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/defau...

March 7, 2005 4:23:03 PM

Thanks for your help Frank. I isolated the problem to McAfee VirusScan
Enterprise 7.1. I was able to access Windows Update after un-installing this
program. Thanks for the clarifications below.

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" wrote:

> "ThorneSP" <ThorneSP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I just re-installed my XP home operating system, but cannot seem to
> > install
> > updates from windowsupdate.microsoft.com. My web browser hangs and
> > doesn't
> > give me any option to install updates. Can you help?
>
> Windows Update Fails:
> Click on START and the RUN put in each line seen below and clicked on
> OK. (do each one line at a time)
> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuapi.dll
> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuaueng.dll
> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\atl.dll
> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wucltui.dll
> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wups.dll
> Disable your anti-virus when obtaining the updates.
> Make sure that your firewall is allowing the connection to Windows Update .
> This would be on ports 80 and 443.
> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
> If no joy - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
> Windows Update Checklist
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
> This newsgroup is read by MS staff:
> WinXP:
> You receive error message 0x80070003 when you try to update Windows from the
> Windows Update Web site:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836949
> Cannot gain access to Windows Update site:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836987
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com