Cannot access windowsupdates

I just re-installed my XP home operating system, but cannot seem to install
updates from windowsupdate.microsoft.com. My web browser hangs and doesn't
give me any option to install updates. Can you help?
9 answers Last reply
More about cannot access windowsupdates

    I recently helped someone who had blocked the Microsoft update manager in
    Zone Alarm. It had come up automatically one day and he thought it was
    spyware or something...

    "ThorneSP" <ThorneSP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just re-installed my XP home operating system, but cannot seem to install
    > updates from windowsupdate.microsoft.com. My web browser hangs and
    > doesn't
    > give me any option to install updates. Can you help?

    "ThorneSP" <ThorneSP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I just re-installed my XP home operating system, but cannot seem to
    > install
    > updates from windowsupdate.microsoft.com. My web browser hangs and
    > doesn't
    > give me any option to install updates. Can you help?

    Windows Update Fails:
    Click on START and the RUN put in each line seen below and clicked on
    OK. (do each one line at a time)
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuapi.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuaueng.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\atl.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wucltui.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wups.dll
    Disable your anti-virus when obtaining the updates.
    Make sure that your firewall is allowing the connection to Windows Update .
    This would be on ports 80 and 443.
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    If no joy - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    Windows Update Checklist
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
    This newsgroup is read by MS staff:
    WinXP:
    You receive error message 0x80070003 when you try to update Windows from the
    Windows Update Web site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836949
    Cannot gain access to Windows Update site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836987

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    "ThorneSP" <ThorneSP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I just re-installed my XP home operating system, but cannot seem to install
    >updates from windowsupdate.microsoft.com. My web browser hangs and doesn't
    >give me any option to install updates. Can you help?

    Post this to
    news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsupdate, if you do
    not get further help from here.

    --
    (tm)

    Have you ran a virus and spyware check? Why did you have to reinstall?

    "Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

    > "ThorneSP" <ThorneSP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I just re-installed my XP home operating system, but cannot seem to install
    > >updates from windowsupdate.microsoft.com. My web browser hangs and doesn't
    > >give me any option to install updates. Can you help?
    >
    > Post this to
    > news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsupdate, if you do
    > not get further help from here.
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

    I get this page when clicking WinUpdate-shortcut
    http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=fi
    (but I have XP in finnish)..

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I get this page when clicking WinUpdate-shortcut
    > http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=fi
    > (but I have XP in finnish)..
    >

    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> kirjoitti viestissä
    >> "ThorneSP" <ThorneSP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> I just re-installed my XP home operating system, but cannot seem to
    >>> install
    >>> updates from windowsupdate.microsoft.com. My web browser hangs and
    >>> doesn't
    >>> give me any option to install updates. Can you help?
    >>
    >> Windows Update Fails:
    >> Click on START and the RUN put in each line seen below and clicked on
    >> OK. (do each one line at a time)
    >> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuapi.dll
    >> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuaueng.dll
    >> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\atl.dll
    >> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wucltui.dll
    >> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wups.dll
    >> Disable your anti-virus when obtaining the updates.
    >> Make sure that your firewall is allowing the connection to Windows Update
    >> .
    >> This would be on ports 80 and 443.
    >> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    >> If no joy - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    >> Windows Update Checklist
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
    >> This newsgroup is read by MS staff:
    >> WinXP:
    >> You receive error message 0x80070003 when you try to update Windows from
    >> the
    >> Windows Update Web site:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836949
    >> Cannot gain access to Windows Update site:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836987
    >>
    >> --
    >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

    Your question is?

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Not a question, but reminder that XP uses v5 of winupdate..

    --

    > "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I get this page when clicking WinUpdate-shortcut
    > > http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=fi
    > > (but I have XP in finnish)..
    > >

    > > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> kirjoitti viestissä
    > >> "ThorneSP" <ThorneSP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Windows Update Fails:
    > >> Click on START and the RUN put in each line seen below and clicked on
    > >> OK. (do each one line at a time)
    > >> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuapi.dll
    > >> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuaueng.dll
    > >> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\atl.dll
    > >> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wucltui.dll
    > >> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wups.dll
    > >> Disable your anti-virus when obtaining the updates.
    > >> Make sure that your firewall is allowing the connection to Windows
    Update
    > >> .
    > >> This would be on ports 80 and 443.
    > >> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    > >> If no joy - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    > >> Windows Update Checklist
    > >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
    > >> This newsgroup is read by MS staff:
    > >> WinXP:
    > >> You receive error message 0x80070003 when you try to update Windows
    from
    > >> the
    > >> Windows Update Web site:
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836949
    > >> Cannot gain access to Windows Update site:
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836987
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    >
    > Your question is?
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > Protect your PC
    > http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    Thanks for your help Frank. I isolated the problem to McAfee VirusScan
    Enterprise 7.1. I was able to access Windows Update after un-installing this
    program. Thanks for the clarifications below.

    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > "ThorneSP" <ThorneSP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I just re-installed my XP home operating system, but cannot seem to
    > > install
    > > updates from windowsupdate.microsoft.com. My web browser hangs and
    > > doesn't
    > > give me any option to install updates. Can you help?
    >
    > Windows Update Fails:
    > Click on START and the RUN put in each line seen below and clicked on
    > OK. (do each one line at a time)
    > REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuapi.dll
    > REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuaueng.dll
    > REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\atl.dll
    > REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wucltui.dll
    > REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wups.dll
    > Disable your anti-virus when obtaining the updates.
    > Make sure that your firewall is allowing the connection to Windows Update .
    > This would be on ports 80 and 443.
    > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    > If no joy - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    > Windows Update Checklist
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
    > This newsgroup is read by MS staff:
    > WinXP:
    > You receive error message 0x80070003 when you try to update Windows from the
    > Windows Update Web site:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836949
    > Cannot gain access to Windows Update site:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836987
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com