NTFS & Share permissions

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
November 10, 2004 2:24:02 AM

How do i prvent users from creating more fodlers on a network share but still
allow them to create files ??
I have tried modifying the registry as follows but with no luck.
"Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\
CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares.
Select Shares and all of the folder's subkeys.
Go to Security | Permissions.
For the Shares folder and each of its subkeys, grant the Read permissions
(at a maximum) to the Everyone group and all untrusted domains, and click OK."

please help !!!

More about : ntfs share permissions

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
November 14, 2004 1:19:22 AM

You should be able to do that with "special permissions" available in the
advanced page of security. You would have to add the group twice - once for
folder and then files only permissions in the "apply onto" box. Make sure
they have the "create files" but not the "create folders" permissions in the
permissions for the folder.--- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419 -- XP
special permissions that applies to W2K also.

"riddler" <riddler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do i prvent users from creating more fodlers on a network share but
> still
> allow them to create files ??
> I have tried modifying the registry as follows but with no luck.
> "Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\
> CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares.
> Select Shares and all of the folder's subkeys.
> Go to Security | Permissions.
> For the Shares folder and each of its subkeys, grant the Read permissions
> (at a maximum) to the Everyone group and all untrusted domains, and click
> OK."
>
> please help !!!
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
November 17, 2004 3:19:02 AM

Do u do this in the registry properties on on the folder itself as i cant
seem to get it working from the registry...??
I dont see the option you are speakign about..Once for folder and once for
Files...

"riddler" wrote:

> How do i prvent users from creating more fodlers on a network share but still
> allow them to create files ??
> I have tried modifying the registry as follows but with no luck.
> "Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\
> CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares.
> Select Shares and all of the folder's subkeys.
> Go to Security | Permissions.
> For the Shares folder and each of its subkeys, grant the Read permissions
> (at a maximum) to the Everyone group and all untrusted domains, and click OK."
>
> please help !!!
a b 8 Security
November 18, 2004 12:23:22 AM

You do it by modifying the advanced permissions to the folder itself but you
must be using ntfs file system. The link below explains advanced permissions
more. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419 -- almost
all applies to W2K also.

"riddler" <riddler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 8390E93-C981-44F2-ADDE-A828FD83E564@microsoft.com...
> Do u do this in the registry properties on on the folder itself as i cant
> seem to get it working from the registry...??
> I dont see the option you are speakign about..Once for folder and once for
> Files...
>
> "riddler" wrote:
>
>> How do i prvent users from creating more fodlers on a network share but
>> still
>> allow them to create files ??
>> I have tried modifying the registry as follows but with no luck.
>> "Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\
>> CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares.
>> Select Shares and all of the folder's subkeys.
>> Go to Security | Permissions.
>> For the Shares folder and each of its subkeys, grant the Read permissions
>> (at a maximum) to the Everyone group and all untrusted domains, and click
>> OK."
>>
>> please help !!!
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
November 18, 2004 12:23:23 AM

I will give it a try .Thanks a million..

!