Shares

How do i prvent users from creating more fodlers on a network share but still
allow them to create files ??
I have tried modifying the registry as follows but with no luck.
"Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\
CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares.
Select Shares and all of the folder's subkeys.
Go to Security | Permissions.
For the Shares folder and each of its subkeys, grant the Read permissions
(at a maximum) to the Everyone group and all untrusted domains, and click OK."
2 answers Last reply
More about shares

    Hi!

    I think that you are confusing the permission on the SHARE with the
    permission on the actual FOLDER. On a folder you can deny "Create Folders /
    Append Data" but then users will not be able to modify their files, only
    create new ones -- which is in most cases too restrictive.

    cheers,

    Marco

    --
    Free five computers' license for NeoExec for Active Directory
    [ www.neovalens.com ]
    "AKH" <AKH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do i prvent users from creating more fodlers on a network share but
    > still
    > allow them to create files ??
    > I have tried modifying the registry as follows but with no luck.
    > "Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\
    > CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares.
    > Select Shares and all of the folder's subkeys.
    > Go to Security | Permissions.
    > For the Shares folder and each of its subkeys, grant the Read permissions
    > (at a maximum) to the Everyone group and all untrusted domains, and click
    > OK."

    Deny "Create Folders / Append Data" permission on "this folder only".

    "Marco" <tired.of.spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > I think that you are confusing the permission on the SHARE with the
    > permission on the actual FOLDER. On a folder you can deny "Create Folders
    > / Append Data" but then users will not be able to modify their files, only
    > create new ones -- which is in most cases too restrictive.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > Marco
    >
    > --
    > Free five computers' license for NeoExec for Active Directory
    > [ www.neovalens.com ]
    > ----
    > "AKH" <AKH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> How do i prvent users from creating more fodlers on a network share but
    >> still
    >> allow them to create files ??
    >> I have tried modifying the registry as follows but with no luck.
    >> "Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\
    >> CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares.
    >> Select Shares and all of the folder's subkeys.
    >> Go to Security | Permissions.
    >> For the Shares folder and each of its subkeys, grant the Read permissions
    >> (at a maximum) to the Everyone group and all untrusted domains, and click
    >> OK."

Security Microsoft Permissions Windows