how to manage dhcp server remotely via firewall

I find the tcp port is always changing when I manage dhcp
server remotely, sometimes it is 1171, or 1056, or 1xxx,
etc. so it is difficult to span the firewall, could you
tell me if there is a way to manage dhcp by a fixed port?
Thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about manage dhcp server remotely firewall

    coolfun wrote:
    > I find the tcp port is always changing when I manage dhcp
    > server remotely, sometimes it is 1171, or 1056, or 1xxx,
    > etc. so it is difficult to span the firewall, could you
    > tell me if there is a way to manage dhcp by a fixed port?
    > Thanks!

    Use Terminal Services in admin mode & access it via port 3389?

    As Lanwench said you can use TS via port 3389 TCP which will be a encrypted
    tunnel if both ends are W2K/XP Pro/W2003. If you do that make sure that the
    servers you have TS enabled on are using strong/complex passwords and try to
    configure the firewall to accept inbound connections from only authorized IP
    addresses to port 3389 TCP on the authorized server. If you have a VPN, you
    can connect to the VPN and then use TS or use mmc snapin for Computer
    Management or DHCP through the VPN tunnel to the local LAN computer name/IP
    address. --- Steve

    "coolfun" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I find the tcp port is always changing when I manage dhcp
    > server remotely, sometimes it is 1171, or 1056, or 1xxx,
    > etc. so it is difficult to span the firewall, could you
    > tell me if there is a way to manage dhcp by a fixed port?
    > Thanks!

    Alternatively, there is a KB published way to define the
    ports used by the RPC instead of allowing it use of
    dynamically assigned ephemeral ports, but whether
    this would work in your environment depends on what
    all uses RPC with the machine.

    --
    Roger Abell
    MCDBA, MCSE W2k3+W2k+Nt4
    "coolfun" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I find the tcp port is always changing when I manage dhcp
    > server remotely, sometimes it is 1171, or 1056, or 1xxx,
    > etc. so it is difficult to span the firewall, could you
    > tell me if there is a way to manage dhcp by a fixed port?
    > Thanks!

DHCP Firewalls Servers Windows