Anime dub question: Pikachu vs Raichu

In the Lt. Surge episode, there's a scene where Team Rocket watch Raichu
beat Pikachu into a bloody pulp. The exchange goes something along the
lines of this:

Jessie: Hope Pikachu wins. We don't want to have to steal a shitty
Pokeyman.

James: Yes, go Pikachu! We wouldn't want Raichu to beat you and undermine
our desire to make you our bitch.

Meowth: You could always steal Raichu instead.

Jessie and James then beat Meowth across the head, giving him a very odd
lump-on-a-lump-on-a-lump, and continue talking.

So my question is, is this a fair translation of the originally scripted
Japanese scene? Meowth's comment seems to be the most sensible thing he's
said ever, yet the issue's not addressed. Is this intentional oddness, or
just a joke that didn't work in English scrapped in favour of a random
beating?

Steffan

"STEFFAN HEDD ALUN" <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<1083168126.784245@leri.aber.ac.uk>...
> In the Lt. Surge episode, there's a scene where Team Rocket watch Raichu
> beat Pikachu into a bloody pulp. The exchange goes something along the
> lines of this:
>
> Jessie: Hope Pikachu wins. We don't want to have to steal a shitty
> Pokeyman.
>
> James: Yes, go Pikachu! We wouldn't want Raichu to beat you and undermine
> our desire to make you our bitch.
>
> Meowth: You could always steal Raichu instead.
>
> Jessie and James then beat Meowth across the head, giving him a very odd
> lump-on-a-lump-on-a-lump, and continue talking.
>
> So my question is, is this a fair translation of the originally scripted
> Japanese scene? Meowth's comment seems to be the most sensible thing he's
> said ever, yet the issue's not addressed. Is this intentional oddness, or
> just a joke that didn't work in English scrapped in favour of a random
> beating?
>
> Steffan

I don't remember that part, but it doesn't sound odd to me. Sort of a
"how dare you apply logic to our actions?" deal.

"Andrusi" <asverner@unity.ncsu.edu> wrote in message
> I don't remember that part, but it doesn't sound odd to me. Sort of a
> "how dare you apply logic to our actions?" deal.

Ah, point. It doesn't quite come off like that, but then, it's been a while
since I watched an episode that old, so everything's a bit different.

Steffan