Windows Installer

I don't understand Windows Installer. W2K workstation. I install upgrades
to software as the administrator and then every time a user logs in and wants
to run the upgraded software, the windows installer continues to come up.
How can I do this different so that the installer stops popping up?

lheisey wrote:
> I don't understand Windows Installer. W2K workstation. I install
> upgrades to software as the administrator and then every time a user
> logs in and wants to run the upgraded software, the windows installer
> continues to come up. How can I do this different so that the
> installer stops popping up?

It depends on what you're installing, really. With some apps (particularly
older versions of Office), I install as administrator, temporarily grant the
user local admin rights, run it once, then take the rights away. What
specifically are you havng problems with installing?

I am installing a 3rd party time & attendance software. So what at this
point can I do so the users can run the software without the installer coming
up?

lheisey wrote:
> I am installing a 3rd party time & attendance software. So what at
> this point can I do so the users can run the software without the
> installer coming up?

See if temporarily granting the domain account local admin rights helps -
run it once, then take the rights away, have them log out/log in, and try
again.

If that doesn't work, 1) complain loudly to the app mfr. about this - it's
lazy developers who don't understand that local users should not have admin
rights to *run* software and b) if that goes nowhere, try FileMon and RegMon
from www.sysinternals.com to see if you can figure out what folders/regkeys
the app needs write access to, and tweak them.

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> lheisey wrote:
>>> I don't understand Windows Installer. W2K workstation. I install
>>> upgrades to software as the administrator and then every time a user
>>> logs in and wants to run the upgraded software, the windows
>>> installer continues to come up. How can I do this different so that
>>> the installer stops popping up?
>>
>> It depends on what you're installing, really. With some apps
>> (particularly older versions of Office), I install as administrator,
>> temporarily grant the user local admin rights, run it once, then
>> take the rights away. What specifically are you havng problems with
>> installing?

I have done as you asked. However, the installer still comes up. I notiiced
the event viewer shows Office 2000SP1 as being the cause. HELP

lheisey wrote:
> I have done as you asked. However, the installer still comes up. I
> notiiced the event viewer shows Office 2000SP1 as being the cause.
> HELP

I've done this successfully many times with Office in all versions. Did you
run all the apps once as the user, with that user in the local admin group?

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> lheisey wrote:
>>> I am installing a 3rd party time & attendance software. So what at
>>> this point can I do so the users can run the software without the
>>> installer coming up?
>>
>> See if temporarily granting the domain account local admin rights
>> helps - run it once, then take the rights away, have them log
>> out/log in, and try again.
>>
>> If that doesn't work, 1) complain loudly to the app mfr. about this
>> - it's lazy developers who don't understand that local users should
>> not have admin rights to *run* software and b) if that goes nowhere,
>> try FileMon and RegMon from www.sysinternals.com to see if you can
>> figure out what folders/regkeys the app needs write access to, and
>> tweak them.

TRENDING THREADS