Grant user exclusive rights to My Documents - Enabled

I'm trying to understand how "User Configuration\Windows Settings\Folder
Redirection\My Documents" works.

I guess my question boils down to this.

If I set "Grant user exclusive rights to their My Documents" folder it
appears they are the only one how has rights, I guess that should be
obvious, but I'm not sure I like that the Administrator doesn't have access
either.

Does the backup process have access to these files? I would assume so.

If I don't give the user "Exclusive" access to their files, I'd assume the
share and security rights apply, is that correct.

Thanks

Kelvin
4 answers Last reply
More about grant user exclusive rights documents enabled

    The administrator can always gain access if need by taking ownership and
    granting permissions. Any administrator or user that has the backup files
    and directories user right can backup files that they do not have normal
    access to. --- Steve

    "Kelvin Beaton" <kelvin at mccsa dot com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to understand how "User Configuration\Windows Settings\Folder
    > Redirection\My Documents" works.
    >
    > I guess my question boils down to this.
    >
    > If I set "Grant user exclusive rights to their My Documents" folder it
    > appears they are the only one how has rights, I guess that should be
    > obvious, but I'm not sure I like that the Administrator doesn't have
    > access either.
    >
    > Does the backup process have access to these files? I would assume so.
    >
    > If I don't give the user "Exclusive" access to their files, I'd assume the
    > share and security rights apply, is that correct.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Kelvin

    An admin does not necessarily need to have access to everything,
    and in some environment explicitly should not have access to some
    things, such as where a user should reasonable expect privacy.
    Correctly configured accounts can access the files for backup when
    using an application written to use the backup interfaces. This will
    allow the admin to move the content when needed, as well as to
    provision for recovery.

    --
    Roger Abell
    MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
    "Kelvin Beaton" <kelvin at mccsa dot com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to understand how "User Configuration\Windows Settings\Folder
    > Redirection\My Documents" works.
    >
    > I guess my question boils down to this.
    >
    > If I set "Grant user exclusive rights to their My Documents" folder it
    > appears they are the only one how has rights, I guess that should be
    > obvious, but I'm not sure I like that the Administrator doesn't have
    access
    > either.
    >
    > Does the backup process have access to these files? I would assume so.
    >
    > If I don't give the user "Exclusive" access to their files, I'd assume the
    > share and security rights apply, is that correct.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Kelvin

    According to Microsoft online documentation for Windows XP Professional:
    If you redirect My Documents to the home directory, domain administrators
    have full control over the user's My Documents folder. This is the case even
    if you select the Grant the user exclusive rights to My Documents check box
    on the Settings tab in the My Documents Properties dialog box

    "Kelvin Beaton" wrote:

    > I'm trying to understand how "User Configuration\Windows Settings\Folder
    > Redirection\My Documents" works.
    >
    > I guess my question boils down to this.
    >
    > If I set "Grant user exclusive rights to their My Documents" folder it
    > appears they are the only one how has rights, I guess that should be
    > obvious, but I'm not sure I like that the Administrator doesn't have access
    > either.
    >
    > Does the backup process have access to these files? I would assume so.
    >
    > If I don't give the user "Exclusive" access to their files, I'd assume the
    > share and security rights apply, is that correct.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Kelvin

    Hi all,
    I have experienced that if you redirect the users application data to their
    home directory that the administatror does NOT have access. The only way to
    access is to take ownership. In my case, I have big turnover in users and
    therefore, I don't grant exclusive rights to app data or my documents because
    it is a pain to delete the home folder when a user leaves (you must
    takeownership).

    "techguru100 (A+)" wrote:

    > According to Microsoft online documentation for Windows XP Professional:
    > If you redirect My Documents to the home directory, domain administrators
    > have full control over the user's My Documents folder. This is the case even
    > if you select the Grant the user exclusive rights to My Documents check box
    > on the Settings tab in the My Documents Properties dialog box
    >
    > "Kelvin Beaton" wrote:
    >
    > > I'm trying to understand how "User Configuration\Windows Settings\Folder
    > > Redirection\My Documents" works.
    > >
    > > I guess my question boils down to this.
    > >
    > > If I set "Grant user exclusive rights to their My Documents" folder it
    > > appears they are the only one how has rights, I guess that should be
    > > obvious, but I'm not sure I like that the Administrator doesn't have access
    > > either.
    > >
    > > Does the backup process have access to these files? I would assume so.
    > >
    > > If I don't give the user "Exclusive" access to their files, I'd assume the
    > > share and security rights apply, is that correct.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Kelvin

Security My Documents Microsoft Windows