Grant user exclusive rights to My Documents - Enabled

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
November 15, 2004 12:28:02 PM

I'm trying to understand how "User Configuration\Windows Settings\Folder
Redirection\My Documents" works.

I guess my question boils down to this.

If I set "Grant user exclusive rights to their My Documents" folder it
appears they are the only one how has rights, I guess that should be
obvious, but I'm not sure I like that the Administrator doesn't have access
either.

Does the backup process have access to these files? I would assume so.

If I don't give the user "Exclusive" access to their files, I'd assume the
share and security rights apply, is that correct.

Thanks

Kelvin
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
November 15, 2004 11:26:58 PM

The administrator can always gain access if need by taking ownership and
granting permissions. Any administrator or user that has the backup files
and directories user right can backup files that they do not have normal
access to. --- Steve

"Kelvin Beaton" <kelvin at mccsa dot com> wrote in message
news:o VVSzeyyEHA.344@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I'm trying to understand how "User Configuration\Windows Settings\Folder
> Redirection\My Documents" works.
>
> I guess my question boils down to this.
>
> If I set "Grant user exclusive rights to their My Documents" folder it
> appears they are the only one how has rights, I guess that should be
> obvious, but I'm not sure I like that the Administrator doesn't have
> access either.
>
> Does the backup process have access to these files? I would assume so.
>
> If I don't give the user "Exclusive" access to their files, I'd assume the
> share and security rights apply, is that correct.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kelvin

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
November 16, 2004 5:05:28 AM

An admin does not necessarily need to have access to everything,
and in some environment explicitly should not have access to some
things, such as where a user should reasonable expect privacy.
Correctly configured accounts can access the files for backup when
using an application written to use the backup interfaces. This will
allow the admin to move the content when needed, as well as to
provision for recovery.

--
Roger Abell
MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
"Kelvin Beaton" <kelvin at mccsa dot com> wrote in message
news:o VVSzeyyEHA.344@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I'm trying to understand how "User Configuration\Windows Settings\Folder
> Redirection\My Documents" works.
>
> I guess my question boils down to this.
>
> If I set "Grant user exclusive rights to their My Documents" folder it
> appears they are the only one how has rights, I guess that should be
> obvious, but I'm not sure I like that the Administrator doesn't have
access
> either.
>
> Does the backup process have access to these files? I would assume so.
>
> If I don't give the user "Exclusive" access to their files, I'd assume the
> share and security rights apply, is that correct.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kelvin

a b 8 Security
November 16, 2004 6:39:03 PM

According to Microsoft online documentation for Windows XP Professional:
If you redirect My Documents to the home directory, domain administrators
have full control over the user's My Documents folder. This is the case even
if you select the Grant the user exclusive rights to My Documents check box
on the Settings tab in the My Documents Properties dialog box

"Kelvin Beaton" wrote:

> I'm trying to understand how "User Configuration\Windows Settings\Folder
> Redirection\My Documents" works.
>
> I guess my question boils down to this.
>
> If I set "Grant user exclusive rights to their My Documents" folder it
> appears they are the only one how has rights, I guess that should be
> obvious, but I'm not sure I like that the Administrator doesn't have access
> either.
>
> Does the backup process have access to these files? I would assume so.
>
> If I don't give the user "Exclusive" access to their files, I'd assume the
> share and security rights apply, is that correct.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kelvin

November 18, 2004 10:35:12 AM

Hi all,
I have experienced that if you redirect the users application data to their
home directory that the administatror does NOT have access. The only way to
access is to take ownership. In my case, I have big turnover in users and
therefore, I don't grant exclusive rights to app data or my documents because
it is a pain to delete the home folder when a user leaves (you must
takeownership).

!