location of internet passwords

We have switched from 2000 to xp and I need to copy saved logins and
passwords for internet sites for one of our employees. Is there anyway to do
that?
4 answers Last reply
More about location internet passwords

    Flamevt wrote:
    > We have switched from 2000 to xp and I need to copy saved logins and
    > passwords for internet sites for one of our employees. Is there
    > anyway to do that?

    Don't know if it's possible, but if it is, I'm sure the folks in
    m.p.windows.inetexplorer.ie6 will know it.

    Note - users need to know their passwords and not rely on password caching
    to save them.

    Sorry I am so dense but I looked at all of the topics under your name and
    could not find an answer. How do I copy the already saved passwords on his
    Windows 200 machine to his new Windows XP machine. Thanks a bunch

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

    > Flamevt wrote:
    > > We have switched from 2000 to xp and I need to copy saved logins and
    > > passwords for internet sites for one of our employees. Is there
    > > anyway to do that?
    >
    > Don't know if it's possible, but if it is, I'm sure the folks in
    > m.p.windows.inetexplorer.ie6 will know it.
    >
    > Note - users need to know their passwords and not rely on password caching
    > to save them.

    I'm sorry, my screen did not show me your real answer - never mind. Thanks
    again

    "Flamevt" wrote:

    > Sorry I am so dense but I looked at all of the topics under your name and
    > could not find an answer. How do I copy the already saved passwords on his
    > Windows 200 machine to his new Windows XP machine. Thanks a bunch
    >
    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
    >
    > > Flamevt wrote:
    > > > We have switched from 2000 to xp and I need to copy saved logins and
    > > > passwords for internet sites for one of our employees. Is there
    > > > anyway to do that?
    > >
    > > Don't know if it's possible, but if it is, I'm sure the folks in
    > > m.p.windows.inetexplorer.ie6 will know it.
    > >
    > > Note - users need to know their passwords and not rely on password caching
    > > to save them.

    I believe they are located in the user profile. If you simply upgraded that
    users computer from W2K to XP Pro [instead of a new install] the old
    settings should be intact. There may be a way to copy the old profile, or
    parts of it, to the new computer. I don't know the best way for that and you
    may want to post in the win2000.setup_deployment newsgroup for more help on
    how to proceed with that. --- Steve

    "Flamevt" <Flamevt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We have switched from 2000 to xp and I need to copy saved logins and
    > passwords for internet sites for one of our employees. Is there anyway to
    > do
    > that?

Security Microsoft Internet Windows