location of internet passwords

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
November 17, 2004 11:09:07 AM

We have switched from 2000 to xp and I need to copy saved logins and
passwords for internet sites for one of our employees. Is there anyway to do
that?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
November 17, 2004 2:17:57 PM

Flamevt wrote:
> We have switched from 2000 to xp and I need to copy saved logins and
> passwords for internet sites for one of our employees. Is there
> anyway to do that?

Don't know if it's possible, but if it is, I'm sure the folks in
m.p.windows.inetexplorer.ie6 will know it.

Note - users need to know their passwords and not rely on password caching
to save them.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
November 17, 2004 2:17:58 PM

Sorry I am so dense but I looked at all of the topics under your name and
could not find an answer. How do I copy the already saved passwords on his
Windows 200 machine to his new Windows XP machine. Thanks a bunch

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> Flamevt wrote:
> > We have switched from 2000 to xp and I need to copy saved logins and
> > passwords for internet sites for one of our employees. Is there
> > anyway to do that?
>
> Don't know if it's possible, but if it is, I'm sure the folks in
> m.p.windows.inetexplorer.ie6 will know it.
>
> Note - users need to know their passwords and not rely on password caching
> to save them.

a b 8 Security
November 17, 2004 2:17:59 PM

I'm sorry, my screen did not show me your real answer - never mind. Thanks
again

"Flamevt" wrote:

> Sorry I am so dense but I looked at all of the topics under your name and
> could not find an answer. How do I copy the already saved passwords on his
> Windows 200 machine to his new Windows XP machine. Thanks a bunch
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
> > Flamevt wrote:
> > > We have switched from 2000 to xp and I need to copy saved logins and
> > > passwords for internet sites for one of our employees. Is there
> > > anyway to do that?
> >
> > Don't know if it's possible, but if it is, I'm sure the folks in
> > m.p.windows.inetexplorer.ie6 will know it.
> >
> > Note - users need to know their passwords and not rely on password caching
> > to save them.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
November 18, 2004 12:35:09 AM

I believe they are located in the user profile. If you simply upgraded that
users computer from W2K to XP Pro [instead of a new install] the old
settings should be intact. There may be a way to copy the old profile, or
parts of it, to the new computer. I don't know the best way for that and you
may want to post in the win2000.setup_deployment newsgroup for more help on
how to proceed with that. --- Steve

!