Sharing and Security permissions

We use Windwos 2000 server and Windows XP clients.

My question is: if I want to put a folder on the server named "DATA" and
within this folder I want to create a subfolder for each user on the network.
Each user should have full control on his folder and "READ" only for the
other folders .

Is it sufficient to use the SHARING only or should it be combined with
SECURITY permissions, and how to apply these permissions and set INHERITANCE
on:
1- The main folder
2 -Each Subfolder

Any help would be much appreciated

--
Microsoft Biased

--
Microsoft Biased
1 answer Last reply

    In your situation you have to use ntfs permissions also. The share
    permission to the top folder would need to be full control for the users.
    Give the top folder read/list ntfs permissions and then give the user full
    or modify permissions to their individual folder. --- Steve

    "Nora Najem" <NoraNajem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We use Windwos 2000 server and Windows XP clients.
    >
    > My question is: if I want to put a folder on the server named "DATA" and
    > within this folder I want to create a subfolder for each user on the
    > network.
    > Each user should have full control on his folder and "READ" only for the
    > other folders .
    >
    > Is it sufficient to use the SHARING only or should it be combined with
    > SECURITY permissions, and how to apply these permissions and set
    > INHERITANCE
    > on:
    > 1- The main folder
    > 2 -Each Subfolder