Real Basic Question Here - please help

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I currently have a really nice 30 inch Widescreen LG LCD TV (HD) with monitor connections. I'm trying to figure out what resolution this is for my computer?

I'm guessing I'll need a GTX to run games on this?

Will games look like crap on an LCD TV (even though it's HiDef)?

Also, I'm buying a smaller monitor as well, and was wondering what screen size is standard for gamers / games (currently have a 19' CRT). Widescreen is cool, but not if I have to jump through hoops to get games to work - forget it.

Thanks!

Which model TV?

You likely won't need a GF8GTX, heck even the GF7 and X1K series would likely power it, since it's likely a 1280x720 or 1366x768 resolution, so a GF8800GTS would be more than enough for a long while too.

But need TV model first, and then you can find native panel resolution from MFR website.

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Which model TV?

You likely won't need a GF8GTX, heck even the GF7 and X1K series would likely power it, since it's likely a 1280x720 or 1366x768 resolution, so a GF8800GTS would be more than enough for a long while too.

But need TV model first, and then you can find native panel resolution from MFR website.

Ok, I'll go home and check... but Im pretty sure it's a 1366x768 resolution.

Will this make games look like crap?

Also, what about a smaller gamer monitor? I'm looking at maxing out resolutions without needed a bleeding edge card every 6 months (just an nice $300 card every year).

SSS_DDK

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
300 $ a year to keep up with graphics is more than most people can afford..heck it could get you a mid range every year, or a top performer every two.

Widescreen gaming will pretty much spoil the heck out of you with a HiDef TV, gaming on a small screen will never be the same.

The drawbacks of gameplay depend on whether the game you want to play in, will run in the resolution your TV will run at, sometimes gameplay may require you to drop to 800 x 600, but thats because your widescreen has limitations.

My highest res on the 27" I was using was 1280 x 720 which admittedly gave me quite a few Oohs and Aahs in the beginning playing games like FarCry which can cover pretty much any resolution you want to play in, but ran into serious limitations with other things I wanted to do.

I'm not trying to discourage you just share some things I've learned from my own experiences if I had a 30" LG I'd have been ran that sucker.

Another important point is the response time of the monitor the faster the response the better for gaming especially in a FPS [First Person Shooter] game, too high of a response time gives smears turning corners and is literally unplayable.

Response time like 25ms is way too low, 16ms is pretty much borderline towards the Not side but still playable, 12ms is doable, 8ms is pretty much on the money, and below 8ms is pretty much awesome, this is my personal opinion here OK, someone will surely post how great their monitor performs and how dumb my opinion is, but thats to be expected here.

My early LCD gaming days involved many monitors that went back to the store until I found response times that worked flawlessly for FPS gaming of which I am a DieHard addict, FPS is my gaming choice period.

Hopefully you have a DVI input on the monitor and DVI output on the computers video card, simply because if you can go that route from my experience your resolution sets to your exact screen parameters, eliminating having to adjust the screen to fit.

And if the LG has DVI input its going to be a better performer relating to computer use, the higher performing monitors/HDTVs usually have both inputs, DVI and VGA, VGA input is the most common connection for computer use.

I'm running 7800GTX graphics cards in SLI, but singly they still perform with any game I play on the maximum resolution I want to run at.

Futurewise I cannot comment on 7800s lastability, but for anything [gamewise] on the market today with WinXP they are still top performers as far as gameplay is concerned.

I know you're going to have a blast gaming on a 30" widescreen and I'm kinda excited for you, I eventually went to a 24" instead of the 27" I was using, because I was after higher resolutions gaming and now run in 1920 x 1200, but I still remember how awesome it was when I first fired up the 27" playing FarCry in 1280 x 720.

I don't know what kind of games you like to play but you'll love it.

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Wow, thanks for the awesome posts.

Ok, I actually have a 32 inch LG TV:

my tv specs

According to the specs, it has a 8ms response time and a bunch of connections (HDMI, RGB, etc.). You mentioned that I should avoid the RGB connection and use HDMI. Do I need to buy a seperate TV card, or do the 8800's come with a HDMI connection?

Yes, I'm into FPS and RTS. I definately would like to have another monitor for high resolution games. Sometimes I watch TV on the LCD, while playing games on my 19' CRT (set up right next to it).

What is the sweet spot for monitors and gaming. You mentioned 24 inch... is that a standard resolution supported by most games?

A lot of people around here are buying either 22 inch or 20.1 inch... any advice on monitor size that a $300 card could keep up with @ max settings (I'll be replacing the card every year or so).

I'll be getting a DX10 compatible card, but if I can get buy with one of those new nvidia midrange cards ($300 or so)... that would be awesome.

I'm also getting a Wii for friends and family... I know it isn't high def, but it will probably be hooked up as well to the 32 incher.

Thanks, monitors are $$$ and I don't want to make a mistake I'll regret for years to come.

You mentioned that I should avoid the RGB connection and use HDMI.

??? No I didn't say that???

I reccommended the DVI connection to the computer, to the best of my knowledge there is no desktop video card on the market with an HDMI output if you know of one please link to it.

Well I just ate those words heres a link to an HDMI output capable video card. http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=2&l2=6&l3=271&model=1175&modelmenu=1

You can get a DVI to HDMI adapter, so you could use the HDMI input, but you TV does not have a dedicated DVI input.

What is the sweet spot for monitors and gaming. You mentioned 24 inch... is that a standard resolution supported by most games?

My monitor search was through many many reviews, and the resolution and response times were the main factors in deciding on a final choice and it was quite expensive, at least to me.

According to the specs, it has a 8ms response time and a bunch of connections (HDMI, RGB, etc.). You mentioned that I should avoid the RGB connection and use HDMI. Do I need to buy a seperate TV card, or do the 8800's come with a HDMI connection?

Not yet, but you can use a DVI to HDMI cable for the GF8800GTS.

That GF8800GTS would be the best solution IMO and should take you into the next generation games at your 13 x 7 resolution.

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
You mentioned that I should avoid the RGB connection and use HDMI.

??? No I didn't say that???

I reccommended the DVI connection to the computer, to the best of my knowledge there is no desktop video card on the market with an HDMI output if you know of one please link to it.

You can get a DVI to HDMI adapter, so you could use the HDMI input, but you TV does not have a dedicated DVI input.

My monitor search was through many many reviews, and the resolution and response times were the main factors in deciding on a final choice and it was quite expensive, at least to me.

Care to share you're monitor??

Also, is one of these DVI? These are all the ports on the TV. I would be shocked if it didn't have DVI... isn't that standard with new LCD TVs?

-TV Side - Composite Video & Audio L/R In 1
- Antenna In (RF) 2
- Component DVD/DTV & Audio L/R In 2
- Composite Video & Audio L/R In 1
- Composite Video & Audio L/R Out 1
- Digital Audio (Optical ) Out 1
- Digital Audio (Optical) In 2
- Digital Cable Card Slot 1
- Gemstar Out(G-Link) 1
- HDMI with HDCP 1
- IEEE 1394/DTCP 2
- PC Audio Input(1/8" mini stereo) 1
- Remote Control In (IR) 1
- RGB In (PC/DTV Input) 1
- RS-232c (Software Upgrade Interface & Control) 1
- S-Video In 1
-TV Left Side - Audio L/R In 1

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Twisted,

Just make sure the card you purchase is HDCP compliant (most are now).

You will use your HDMI input on the TV... As stated you will need an HDMI to DVI cable (they both carry the same video signal but HDMI can carry 5.1 audio as well).

Please PM me and I can tell you where to get one at a good price. Please DO NOT go to your local retailer for an HDMI anything cable they will likely be 30 to 40 TIMES MORE than some online retailers.

I game right now on my HD projector at 1280x720P and I love it. Everyone that comes over has to try it as well.

Big screen gaming is pretty fun cause others (even though not playing) get to be involved too.

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Twisted,

Just make sure the card you purchase is HDCP compliant (most are now).

You will use your HDMI input on the TV... As stated you will need an HDMI to DVI cable (they both carry the same video signal but HDMI can carry 5.1 audio as well).

Please PM me and I can tell you where to get one at a good price. Please DO NOT go to your local retailer for an HDMI anything cable they will likely be 30 to 40 TIMES MORE than some online retailers.

I game right now on my HD projector at 1280x720P and I love it. Everyone that comes over has to try it as well.

Big screen gaming is pretty fun cause others (even though not playing) get to be involved too.

Thanks! Great solution. Yeah, from what I hear... FEAR might be one of those games that entertains folks as you play on 30+ screen.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Twisted,

HDCP is a digital rights management technique implemented on many HDTVs and HD capable display devices. It is in essence a handshake between two devices that are sending a digital signal. This prevents someone making a copy of the digital signal off of the output stream. This is similar to the errors introduced through Macrovision on DVD players.

There are HDMI output capable video cards I correct myself. Sorry :oops:

No need to be sorry, the whole point is that right now no HDMI equipped card can power that panel in the top games with thing turned on, and they won't do well in future games either.

The best answer IMO is the GF8800GTS-320 with a DVI to HDMI cable.

The Gf7600GT and X1650s won't have much life left in them at native 13x7. he'll have to start turning down/off features shortly, heck even in Oblivion already.

PS, he has an RGB/DB-15 input, which will be perfect for gaming. He doesn't need to pay the big bucks for HDMI if he's only playing games and not BluRay or HD-DVD content.

backpanelny1.jpg

To the OP: Just pick the best graphics card you can, once again IMO GF8800GTS-320 would be fine since the 13x7 won't push the memory much.

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
There are HDMI output capable video cards I correct myself. Sorry :oops:

No need to be sorry, the whole point is that right now no HDMI equipped card can power that panel in the top games with thing turned on, and they won't do well in future games either.

The best answer IMO is the GF8800GTS-320 with a DVI to HDMI cable.

The Gf7600GT and X1650s won't have much life left in them at native 13x7. he'll have to start turning down/off features shortly, heck even in Oblivion already.

PS, he has an RGB/DB-15 input, which will be perfect for gaming. He doesn't need to pay the big bucks for HDMI if he's only playing games and not BluRay or HD-DVD content.

Ok, I'm leaning heavily the 8800GTS-320. However, it looks like they only have 2 DVI and 1 S-Video connection on the back. No RGB connection. Is this right?

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Grape,

He will not pay big for HDMI cables.. 6ft for $6.00... That is not big money :)

Also, using the like you said the DVI port will be the best way to go with a native res...

The RGB/DB-15 is still an analog env and most new cards will present an HD color gamut if you so request over the DVI/HDMI. By going RGB it is up to the TV to do some work and that may have some undesirable effects (it is a TV not a monitor). Some TVs handle ALL of its inputs well some do not (Sony SXRD comes to mind).

He will not pay big for HDMI cables.. 6ft for $6.00... That is not big money :)

True if he gets them from you, then it's more tempting, but really what I mean is there's no concern for either path, every option is open to him.

The RGB/DB-15 is still an analog env and most new cards will present an HD color gamut if you so request over the DVI/HDMI. By going RGB it is up to the TV to do some work and that may have some undesirable effects (it is a TV not a monitor).

It's an LCD panel, it won't be any different that it being an LG 20" WS panel.

Some TVs handle ALL of its inputs well some do not (Sony SXRD comes to mind).

Yeah but that's a 3 element projector not a panel display like his LG. He should have little difficulty making it work on the standardized PC resolution of 13x7, if it was 12x7 I'd be more concerned.
PS, BTW, you can enable ay customized resolution with the VGA connector, the DVI and HDMI combo are less fogiving IMO, with less hacks possible.
The only thing I'd ever be concerned with would be cable length, and that can work against both.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Grape,

For the clarity... He would not be getting them from me... I am not a vendor for cables... :)

I just know where to go to get them for excellent prices but for forum reasons did not want to post it here. Most know about it though..

In fact I am sure you do too... M o n o....

;)

PS.. The SXRD is now used in RPTV as well...

and

I agree that should not be an issue since the 1366x768 was meant to be used as a widescreen computer resolution... that is why they did the 768 part instead of the 720 part ;)

Nice having a discussion with someone who knows what they are talking about...

In fact I am sure you do too... M o n o....

;)

Yeah can I sell you a P for the right...........?
8)

But personally I either get them cheap through work suppliers, or I make my own (for networking), it also depends on the quality I need, low quliaty I make them, high quality anybody but me makes them (gotta have someone to blame :twisted: ). We have spools and spools of fibre, plenum, etc. So networking no problem, but HDMI and such, prefer getting it through our suppliers anyways, just as cheap, and easy return or replacement.

Nice having a discussion with someone who knows what they are talking about...

Yep, always makes it easier rather than trying to get people up to speed, best to start at the same level to have a level headed discussion.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Nah,

I have not been keeping up to date on the audio part of that discussion since I only use HDMI for video transmission.

I use good old SPDIF/TOSLINK for everything else.

I am using the M o n o...... HDMI 4-port switch (great device) and only switch video since I am using an older receiver (with discreet amps of course ;)

Nah, there's a bunch of ways they could do it, so they need to explain further, but Audio over DVI makes little sense (carried over what pins?).

I have a feeling they will be doing HDMI with either external or internal combining, but a DVI-HDMI dongle with audio along the DVI doesn't make much sense. Now a dongle that includes DVI and a Mini Plug for SPDIF that's already an option.

Need more info.

The rumour for future cards is the SI chips I mentioned in another thread;
http://www.siliconimage.com/images/products/1930_715.gif