iPAQ2210 boot problems

May 16, 2005 3:45:42 PM

My iPAQ2210 requires frequent soft resets because of lockups. Reading other
posts this seems to be the norm especially if you are using TomTom. However,
occasionally a soft reset hangs during boot up and then I have to hard
reset. Then it takes me a couple of hours to reinstall and setup everything
again. I tried using Activesync and iPAQ backup to make a complete backup so
that I can restore. The restore works OK but when it soft resets afterwards
it hangs again on boot up. HP support don't seem to be able to help other
than telling me to hard reset again. Any ideas/suggestions would be
appreciated.
Thanks,
Les Smith

More about : ipaq2210 boot problems

Anonymous
May 16, 2005 3:45:43 PM

When you soft reset you might try removing all cards from the machine. I
find that my machine sometimes hangs on soft-reset reboot if I have a card
or even an (PCMCIA to CF)adaptor installed.
It's an HP 568, and since the hard reset is accomplished by sitting without
batteries for a while, I even find that I have to let it sit for an hour or
so before reinstalling them, otherwise it hangs also(if it just sits for say
10mins). Very weird!!

"Les Smith" <les.smith@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D 6a155$1ep$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> My iPAQ2210 requires frequent soft resets because of lockups. Reading
> other posts this seems to be the norm especially if you are using TomTom.
> However, occasionally a soft reset hangs during boot up and then I have to
> hard reset. Then it takes me a couple of hours to reinstall and setup
> everything again. I tried using Activesync and iPAQ backup to make a
> complete backup so that I can restore. The restore works OK but when it
> soft resets afterwards it hangs again on boot up. HP support don't seem to
> be able to help other than telling me to hard reset again. Any
> ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Les Smith

Anonymous
May 16, 2005 5:54:47 PM

"Les Smith" <les.smith@btinternet.com> wrote:

> My iPAQ2210 requires frequent soft resets because of lockups. Reading other
> posts this seems to be the norm especially if you are using TomTom. However,
> occasionally a soft reset hangs during boot up and then I have to hard
> reset. Then it takes me a couple of hours to reinstall and setup everything
> again. I tried using Activesync and iPAQ backup to make a complete backup so
> that I can restore. The restore works OK but when it soft resets afterwards
> it hangs again on boot up. HP support don't seem to be able to help other
> than telling me to hard reset again. Any ideas/suggestions would be
> appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Les Smith

My lockups were from running too many tasks at once (closing the
window only minimizes them, doesn't close the program). I have had no
lockups since using Pocket Task Manager (free)
http://www.cetoolbox.com/PocketTaskManager/index.html

I was surprised at how many programs were open in the background. If
your lockups are due to that reason, this will help you keep an eye on
it.

--

=======
///// \\\\\

P K
Related resources
May 17, 2005 2:36:03 AM

If you have the latest ROM update installed then it is probably the number
of running applications / processes that is causing the lockups.

I have same setup and a ROM update cured it. if you update be sure to backup
though...

"P and K" <none@this.time> wrote in message
> "Les Smith" <les.smith@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> My iPAQ2210 requires frequent soft resets because of lockups. Reading
>> other
>> posts this seems to be the norm especially if you are using TomTom.
>> However,
>> occasionally a soft reset hangs during boot up and then I have to hard
>> reset. Then it takes me a couple of hours to reinstall and setup
>> everything
>> again. I tried using Activesync and iPAQ backup to make a complete backup
>> so
>> that I can restore. The restore works OK but when it soft resets
>> afterwards
>> it hangs again on boot up. HP support don't seem to be able to help other
>> than telling me to hard reset again. Any ideas/suggestions would be
>> appreciated.
>> Thanks,
>> Les Smith
>>

> My lockups were from running too many tasks at once (closing the
> window only minimizes them, doesn't close the program). I have had no
> lockups since using Pocket Task Manager (free)
> http://www.cetoolbox.com/PocketTaskManager/index.html
>
> I was surprised at how many programs were open in the background. If
> your lockups are due to that reason, this will help you keep an eye on
> it.
>
> --
>

> =======
> ///// \\\\\
> ///(@)~(@)\\\
> ---o00-(_)-00o---
>
> P K
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 9:33:26 PM

What's the latest ROM version? - my IPAQ is only a month or so old, so
presume that I have a recent version but get these frequent lock-ups.

PS - My ROM is shown as Revision 1.00.09 ENG, dated 11/20/04.

Bob,

"andy" <andy.hoad@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> If you have the latest ROM update installed then it is probably the number
> of running applications / processes that is causing the lockups.
>
> I have same setup and a ROM update cured it. if you update be sure to
> backup though...
>
> "P and K" <none@this.time> wrote in message
>> "Les Smith" <les.smith@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My iPAQ2210 requires frequent soft resets because of lockups. Reading
>>> other
>>> posts this seems to be the norm especially if you are using TomTom.
>>> However,
>>> occasionally a soft reset hangs during boot up and then I have to hard
>>> reset. Then it takes me a couple of hours to reinstall and setup
>>> everything
>>> again. I tried using Activesync and iPAQ backup to make a complete
>>> backup so
>>> that I can restore. The restore works OK but when it soft resets
>>> afterwards
>>> it hangs again on boot up. HP support don't seem to be able to help
>>> other
>>> than telling me to hard reset again. Any ideas/suggestions would be
>>> appreciated.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Les Smith
>>>

>> My lockups were from running too many tasks at once (closing the
>> window only minimizes them, doesn't close the program). I have had no
>> lockups since using Pocket Task Manager (free)
>> http://www.cetoolbox.com/PocketTaskManager/index.html
>>
>> I was surprised at how many programs were open in the background. If
>> your lockups are due to that reason, this will help you keep an eye on
>> it.
>>
>> --
>>

>> =======
>> ///// \\\\\
>> ///(@)~(@)\\\
>> ---o00-(_)-00o---
>>
>> P K

May 19, 2005 10:56:16 PM

Les Smith wrote:

> My iPAQ2210 requires frequent soft resets because of lockups. Reading other
> posts this seems to be the norm especially if you are using TomTom. However,
> occasionally a soft reset hangs during boot up and then I have to hard
> reset. Then it takes me a couple of hours to reinstall and setup everything
> again. I tried using Activesync and iPAQ backup to make a complete backup so
> that I can restore. The restore works OK but when it soft resets afterwards
> it hangs again on boot up. HP support don't seem to be able to help other
> than telling me to hard reset again. Any ideas/suggestions would be
> appreciated.
> Thanks,

Try removing stuff from the startup folder (\windows\startup) as it
sounds like you have a lot of things set to load on startup.

Move the shortcuts to a different folder and move back one at a time and
see how they effect the device's stability.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.