How do i changed back all of my files to default programs I messed it up and now

Status
Not open for further replies.

iowahfan

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
How do I go in and change it back to default of opening with the correct program I was trying to bring up files from and old hardrive and accidentally set notepad as my default program to open everything how do I fix it.

newbornreason

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Typically what you want to do when this happens (I'm using windows 7 but the steps should be similar, and the pictures will differ a little) is this. Right click the program you are wanting to change it's default opening method with. Such as this movie file:
Troubleshoot1.jpg

see the "Open with" ? put your mouse over that, then the "default program" click that. Then you might see this:
Troubleshoot2.jpg

You might have to "browse" to the specific program you want the file to open up with. Once you select the program you want, look for the box that mentions "always use the selected program". Try that, you shouldn't have to touch registry stuff, if this is the exact problem you are talking about.

oh that, sorry, misread the first time, go to control panel > folder options

there's a tab for file types, check all the file types that you typically use and when you select them, there's an option to set to default program parameters

fikry

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

but if i do that,then all my programs will set its default to the program that i chose????

Gamerswell

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
ok well, i accidentaly changes all the programs to open with winrar, and now i cant open anything, im lucky u had google chrome open when i did this. i tried opening everything with java but it didnt help!
what do i do?

Happens to people all the time !! -- Here is a tutorial on resetting it - Just follow the instructions there under resolution - there is a small registry file that you download and run that resets the .exe file extension for you just download it - right click and select merge (this runs the file and resets the proper registry keys back properly for you !)

The file you download is simply a text file with the following line and the .reg extension so that when merged it will correct the exe file association that was changed to winrar back so is safe (you could do the same thing using regedit but if not familiar with how it is easier to use the download !!) :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\UserChoice]

Gamerswell

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

im sorry but i dont quite understand this

Go to the site linked or ( CLICK HERE ) and you will end up on a page that has an explanation of how to fix your problem -- in it there is a link to a small download that will download a file named exe_fix.reg -- save that file to your desktop -- right click on the file and select MERGE from the pop up list that will come up when you right click ( that will run the file that you downloaded which will change the .exe file association back to it's original setting in your registry and will correct the problem you are having.

You need to download that file because right now you can not just use notepad to save the text file since notepad will not open due to the change you made so you need to download it and then right click and select merge ( I just placed the quote there to show what the file that you are downloading consists of - it is merely a single line of text that when merged into your registry ( the .reg extension tells your system that it is a registry file) will reset the file association for exe files so that when you click on a program it will run instead of being opened with winzip !

KarsaOrlong

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

okay, this is going to sound silly but f*** what these other guys try to sell you. download a program you don't really need like itunes

(as long as it shows up when you right click a file and 'open with - default programs - other programs')

once all the files are trying to open in itunes delete itunes

(with itunes i had to go to add/remove programs in control panel)

all files should still have the itunes icon after deletion of itunes. now restart your computer. works like a charm. they will all be back to default files. spread the word.

disanayaka

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013

go to start-search REGEDIT-click,H key current user-click,software-click,microsoft-click,windows-click,current version-click,explorer-click,file exts -click .lnk-under that,delete the file userchoice-then restart your system the problem has resolved!!!!!!!!!!(if this was useful,please reply me ----disanayakatharindu@gmail.com

key

mathivanan

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

Big2tha_E

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
You Rock!

once all the files are trying to open in itunes delete itunes

(with itunes i had to go to add/remove programs in control panel)

all files should still have the itunes icon after deletion of itunes. now restart your computer. works like a charm. they will all be back to default files. spread the word.[/quotemsg]

Status
Not open for further replies.