What now? (Build Complete) Please Help!

Viceras

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
Hello folks,

I've just finished my first build and im surprised its all working (I hope) and my question is what now? What checks and/or software do I need to use to make sure this machine is running well.

I'm on Vista Home Premium so take this into account when suggesting.

Thanks!

Vic.

guruboy

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Haha I love when people ask questions like this. They just spent money on a build and they don't know what to do. You don't REALLY need to use all that testing software, unless you're planning on overclocking (I always say it's useless unless you have a REALLY crappy CPU) or if (god forbid) you have a problem with hardware performence.

pongrules

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah, be happy if it does what you set out for it to do and don't worry about the testing unless you run into situations like Guruboy is suggesting. I totall agree.

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
i disagree of course you should run the software in order to check things are ok. you never know you may have put on the heatsink wrong etc

run a barrage of different types of software like those mentioned above. keep an eye on your temps and times taken to complete, and compare them against similar systems if your getting similar results be happy in a job well done

Poxal

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I agree, the system should be stressed even if you don't plan to oc. Wouldn't you like to know if you have a hardware problem now...rather than 6 mo down the road while playing your favorite game (while winning), your system dies! You may have troubles getting it replaced (warranty)!

PC_Side_Line

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Did u create a RESTORE point?

DID u create a Password RESET disk?

DID u setup a UPS?

DID u setup and configure a/v and firewalls?

DID u update at WINDOWS update?

goto www.cnet.com and d/l and install ccleaner

goto www.webroot.com and get spysweeper

goto www.lavasoft.com and get ad aware se personal

tons of stuff to do to secure ur pc after a new build.

Get a CD folder or large ziplok bag and place all ur cd's inside with manuals and prod id numbers.

guruboy

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Nah I just think it's a bit of a waste of time for a first time builder to have to learn about all these testing programs. They're cool to have, but first just have some fun putting games on it or something.

I think if the heatsink or some other component was seated incorrectly, you'd have problems. If the OP managed to install all his drivers, I don't think there's anything wrong with the computer.

Still, if you aren't confident in your skills putting the thing together, just try SpeedFan to monitor temps.

Finding a place to store your product ID numbers is an excellent idea.

PC_Side_Line

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
These are not testing programs, these are things all our new pc's undergo in our hardware store...i been in business 20 yrs! For being in business that long i know what i'm talking about.

if i wasnt such a nice guy, guruboy, !! i cant...i wont say it!!

noob 8O

robucf4

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Haha I love when people ask questions like this. They just spent money on a build and they don't know what to do. You don't REALLY need to use all that testing software, unless you're planning on overclocking (I always say it's useless unless you have a REALLY crappy CPU) or if (god forbid) you have a problem with hardware performence.

I am sympathize with the OP, I just built my first system, and yes it fired up first time but becuase of the uncertainty and unfamiliarity with building a PC your not quite sure what to do next. You need some sort of validation that it works and won't blow up. If some of the programs help validate the build then give yourself that peace of mind. As soon as I get my new PSU (fan does not work, did not notice till the PSU got quite warm) I will run some of the programs people mentioned just to be sure all parts are doing what they should be.

guruboy

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Oh I wasn't trying to be mean to the OP, this happened to me when I built my first computer. I ended up getting a little bored and doing a ton of unnecessary wire management and rearranging my desk.

Rofl PC_Side_Line, oh really? Not "testing programs?"

SuperPi - Simple benchmarking, TEST to make sure your CPU is performing as well as it should.

Memtest86 - Has the word "test" in it for one thing...this TESTS your RAM to make sure all the RAM works at all addresses and reports errors.

3Dmark - Benchmarking for CPU/Video/many other things, a good way to TEST to make sure your hardware is running properly (if you get a horrible CPU score, you can bet there's something wrong).

Any temp sensing program for CPU/GPU - TEST to make sure your heatsinks are seated properly, also can use to TEST to make sure SMART is working.

SiSoft Sandra - More benchmarking, see above.

So:
#1) Wtf did you think I meant when I said test? I think that sums up the functions of all these programs quite nicely.

#2) What else do these programs do at your alleged big, secret "hardware store" (how vague and...non-believable?) Ok let's assume you actually work at a "hardware store" (I think you're referring to computer hardware, though I've never heard of a computer "hardware store"). When you're selling something to a client, you're probably going to want to TEST all the components to make sure they work properly. These TESTING programs are a good choice. The OP only has a liability to himself, it wasn't mass-produced, so I still believe downloading megabytes and megabytes of programs is unnecessary.

robucf4

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Only time will truly validate your build. I mean if it functions *correctly* and does what you want it to do, not much else you can do. I am a little paranoid with all the wires everywhere and touching other components but I mean there is not much you can do, your working in a confined space with stuff is spaced out all over the board, bad design? Who knows. I messed with the wiring and tried to make it hidden and pretty but in the end I accidently ended up blocking one of the fans with a connector =/

Building my first PC was fun, probaly becuase it worked, I don't know what I would have done if I experienced some of the issues other people did, I took my time and read everything 2x over before attempting and so far eveything seems ok, no crashes or weirdness yet... That of course was only 1 day since my psu fan was non operational.

In any case ca't wait to build another =)

guruboy

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Good way to sum it up Croc.

@robucf4: haha I only wish I was that meticulous! I try to be careful putting things together and then as I'm closing up the case I slam my knee into the side. Gotta be more patient!

guruboy

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I've never met anyone who been "in the business" for 20 years for any business and calls people noobs. You sir, are a liar, or just quite immature.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Did u create a RESTORE point?

DID u create a Password RESET disk?

DID u setup a UPS?

DID u setup and configure a/v and firewalls?

DID u update at WINDOWS update?

goto www.cnet.com and d/l and install ccleaner

goto www.webroot.com and get spysweeper

goto www.lavasoft.com and get ad aware se personal

tons of stuff to do to secure ur pc after a new build.

Get a CD folder or large ziplok bag and place all ur cd's inside with manuals and prod id numbers.

Huh?

Let's take this one step at a time... A RESTORE point will be created when the install is done. That is restore point 0.

Password reset disk??? WTF? Do you set passwords for all of your 20 years' worth of customers, prior to them even getting their systems? If so, I'll not buy from you, thank you.

A UPS? WTF? I think that this is a seperate device, but if there is one built into vista, please enlighten me.

Firewall and AV...

Vista automatically starts a FW. As to AV, that's a personal preference, and judging by your capabilities I would rather trust my own judgement.

Windows update... If you are connected to the internet, and if vista validates I'd assume you are, then like it or not you WILL get the updates.

As to the rest of your post, there are much better tools out there. If the OP needs access to some, he is free to PM me, or ask for others opinions as well. But what you have recommended for the most part is garbage.

Noob.

Byebye, YOU are the weakest link...