permissions fouled up on user folder

In a user's home directory, there is a folder that has become unaccessible.
The permissions for all folders in her home directory should read Admins:Full
Control and User:Full Control, all inherited from the parent. This one reads
Admins:Read&Execute (no write, no delete), inherited from the parent (but
that's not the parent's permissions). Because of this, the user can't read
the folder, and I can't change the permissions. Is there any way, any
utility or hack, to override those permissions so I can reset them to the way
they should be?
3 answers Last reply
More about permissions fouled user folder

    Logon as administrator and take ownership which will allow you to
    change/enhance permissions. Go to folder properties/security/advanced/owner
    and select administrators as new owner. Also check the box to replace owner
    on subcontainers and objects. First I would run Check Disk on the volume to
    see if any problems are found that it probably can correct. --- Steve

    "BFH" <BFH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In a user's home directory, there is a folder that has become
    > unaccessible.
    > The permissions for all folders in her home directory should read
    > Admins:Full
    > Control and User:Full Control, all inherited from the parent. This one
    > reads
    > Admins:Read&Execute (no write, no delete), inherited from the parent (but
    > that's not the parent's permissions). Because of this, the user can't
    > read
    > the folder, and I can't change the permissions. Is there any way, any
    > utility or hack, to override those permissions so I can reset them to the
    > way
    > they should be?

    Then, after doing as Steve has suggested, go back to the
    root folder of the user's profile, access the NTFS security
    dialog, go into the advanced view, and check to replace
    permissions on all subordinate files and folders.
    This procedure will reset the directory and its contents
    where you had to take ownership (an any others) back into
    having permissions set purely by inheritance.
    You could achieve the same effect on the directory itself
    where ownership was taken, but accessing its NTFS
    security dialog, making sure the box to allow inherited
    permissions is on, and then removing any explicitly set
    values. However, this would remove only this location
    where inheritance is interrupted, while the first procedure
    would remove them all.
    --
    Roger Abell
    MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
    > Logon as administrator and take ownership which will allow you to
    > change/enhance permissions. Go to folder
    properties/security/advanced/owner
    > and select administrators as new owner. Also check the box to replace
    owner
    > on subcontainers and objects. First I would run Check Disk on the volume
    > see if any problems are found that it probably can correct. --- Steve
    >

    > "BFH" <BFH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > In a user's home directory, there is a folder that has become
    > > unaccessible.
    > > The permissions for all folders in her home directory should read
    > > Admins:Full
    > > Control and User:Full Control, all inherited from the parent. This one
    > > reads
    > > Admins:Read&Execute (no write, no delete), inherited from the parent
    (but
    > > that's not the parent's permissions). Because of this, the user can't
    > > read
    > > the folder, and I can't change the permissions. Is there any way, any
    > > utility or hack, to override those permissions so I can reset them to
    the
    > > way
    > > they should be?

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:17:36 -0700, "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu>
    wrote:

    Hi all,

    I'd like to add that, after having the same trouble two times -
    involving two different users - and the gui was of no help to me. The
    folder was too heavily messed with, and everything froze up, unstable,
    crash. I tried Xcacls to no avail. Everything seemed OK, but wasn't.
    After logging out, a new profile was created. Again and again.

    To cut it short, I deleted the account, secured the data and went
    looking for the source of the trouble. Turned out to be some website,
    with some crazy scripting going on while information about their
    software was shown.

    The anti-virus solution didn't see it, two spy removal tools didn't
    see it.

    I hope this was of total irrelevance to the original poster;-)

    GreetZ
    MBH

Security Microsoft Permissions Windows