Intel's New Chipsets to Improve Core 2 Performance

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/display/20070215115130.html

+15%

What do you guys think? This is not good to AMD and K8L...
7 answers Last reply
More about intel chipsets improve core performance
  1. BS; maybe only in bandwidth intensive apps, but I can't see these chipset give 15% on gaming or rendering or anything else we common mortals often do.
    Or meybe they're referring to this gain on PCI-e 2.0; that will certainly boost gaming but not processing itself.
  2. Quote:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/display/20070215115130.html
    +15%
    What do you guys think? This is not good to AMD and K8L...

The maximum margin is 10%. You can compare the performance of E6300 and E4300.
  3. The one interesting take-away that I got from that article is that ICH10 will have WI-FI controller as part of the SB. Interesting.
  4. 5GHz PCI-E clock....

That's rediculous....

(It also seems like overkill. Since when did you hit a PCI-E bottleneck...)

The 15% performance boost does seem exaggerated, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's 5%-10%. If Intel manages to make enhancements to its memory controller, combined with the use of DDR3, it seems plausible.

A lot of AMD's performance lead in the synthetics were a result of the IMC. This is probably Intel's off-chip memory controller generation leap.

I do agree that I doubt you'll see any real performance gains > 5% in typical applications, such as games, though.
  5. Bull. It's a platform enhancement.

AMD hasn't got to worry about this - AM2+ has many of the same enhancements.
  6. DAAMIT's AM2 will use DDR2, not DDR3.

(It shouldn't matter, but it's worth clarifying)
  7. Quote:
    5GHz PCI-E clock....

That's rediculous....

(It also seems like overkill. Since when did you hit a PCI-E bottleneck...)

Not according to PCI-SIG ratification of PCIe 2.0 spec. 8)
    (Although they don't say GHz but GT/s :wink: )

DailyTech: PCIe 2.0 Ratified

PCI-SIG: PCI Express® Base 2.0 Specification
    Quote:
    ...The higher bandwidth will allow product designers to implement narrower interconnect links to achieve high performance while reducing cost.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Performance Chipsets AMD Core Intel