Sign in with
Your question

Intel's New Chipsets to Improve Core 2 Performance

Last response: in CPUs
February 16, 2007 2:02:57 PM

BS; maybe only in bandwidth intensive apps, but I can't see these chipset give 15% on gaming or rendering or anything else we common mortals often do.
Or meybe they're referring to this gain on PCI-e 2.0; that will certainly boost gaming but not processing itself.
Related resources
February 16, 2007 5:52:54 PM

The one interesting take-away that I got from that article is that ICH10 will have WI-FI controller as part of the SB. Interesting.
February 16, 2007 6:51:26 PM

5GHz PCI-E clock....

That's rediculous....

(It also seems like overkill. Since when did you hit a PCI-E bottleneck...)

The 15% performance boost does seem exaggerated, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's 5%-10%. If Intel manages to make enhancements to its memory controller, combined with the use of DDR3, it seems plausible.

A lot of AMD's performance lead in the synthetics were a result of the IMC. This is probably Intel's off-chip memory controller generation leap.

I do agree that I doubt you'll see any real performance gains > 5% in typical applications, such as games, though.
February 16, 2007 6:52:49 PM

Bull. It's a platform enhancement.

AMD hasn't got to worry about this - AM2+ has many of the same enhancements.
February 16, 2007 7:09:11 PM

DAAMIT's AM2 will use DDR2, not DDR3.

(It shouldn't matter, but it's worth clarifying)
February 17, 2007 9:46:38 PM

Quote:
5GHz PCI-E clock....

That's rediculous....

(It also seems like overkill. Since when did you hit a PCI-E bottleneck...)

Not according to PCI-SIG ratification of PCIe 2.0 spec. 8)
(Although they don't say GHz but GT/s :wink: )

DailyTech: PCIe 2.0 Ratified

PCI-SIG: PCI Express® Base 2.0 Specification
Quote:
...The higher bandwidth will allow product designers to implement narrower interconnect links to achieve high performance while reducing cost.
!