Security anaylisis

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for a tool or a way to do a security comparision between to
workstations. I have an application that works on one, but not on the other
unless the user is an admin on the box.

Thanks,

AndyMac

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004

Hi,

Presuming it's a Windows box, try running filemon & regmon from
sysinternals.com while launching the app. They should tell you what files /
registry keys access is being denied to.

AndyMac.

"Andy Welcomer" <dowelcomer@state.pa.us> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm looking for a tool or a way to do a security comparision between to
> workstations. I have an application that works on one, but not on the
> other
> unless the user is an admin on the box.

> Thanks,

AndyMac's suggestion is right on as it may be a registry or file permission
difference between the two computers, probably for the program files folder,
all users profile, or registry key for local machine for the application.
Less likely would be a user right difference between the two computers which
you could compare the effective settings for each computer in Local Security
Policy security settings/local policies/user rights. For Windows 2000
computers you could also export the security settings of one computer to a
..inf security template and then use that template to run a Security
Configuration and Analysis Tool to compare the results on the other
computer. Note that exporting security settings does NOT include system
services, file system, registry, or restricted groups. The link below
explains how to use SCA tool and Security Templates. --- Steve

http://www.lokbox.net/SecureXP/secAnalysis.asp