Security Settings revert back after setting them

I have a SBS 2000 with SP4, I set particular security to a file that doesn't
have inherited policies. Each morning it has been changed to everyone has
full access.
What process would change these settins and how do I stop this?
1 answer Last reply
More about security settings revert back setting them

    A couple possibilities are that a script, such as a Group Policy
    startup/shutdown script, or via Scheduled tasks is running that is using
    cacls or xcacls to set folder file permissions. Another possibility is that
    Group Policy computer configuration is using file system settings to
    set/enforce permissions on folder or files. It may help to enable auditing
    of object access on the computer where this is happening and then audit that
    file for change permissions and deletion to see what events are recorded in
    the security log, particulalry Event ID's 560 and 562, that may help you
    track down what is going on. Keep in mind that if a user or application is
    "moving" [offline files??] a file with the same name from somewhere else on
    the volume the file that is moved will retain it's original permissions You
    can check a file's properties to see the date it was created or modified.
    Also check to see if inheritance has been enabled on the file after the
    permissions change. --- Steve

    "Ian Zahn" <Ian Zahn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a SBS 2000 with SP4, I set particular security to a file that
    doesn't
    > have inherited policies. Each morning it has been changed to everyone has
    > full access.
    > What process would change these settins and how do I stop this?

Security Microsoft Windows