upgrade advice - wait for dx10?

konsta

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
Hi,

I'm just about to upgrade my computer, and for various reasons need to do so very soon (like today). At the moment I have an AGP card, so will need to get something new for my machine.

I'm not a big gamer really, but I do like to play a bit of CS: Source, and be able to have the ability to play games at some reasonably passable level of performance when I do. I have a Samsung 244t (1920x1200 res) screen, so need something that will be able to power that.

I'm looking to spend under £200 on the card, hopefully closer to the £160/170 mark. My essential question is: should I purchase a stop-gap for £25 just to tide me over till some mid range DX10 cards show up, or should I go for the best I can of the previous generation? Will DX10 have any impact in the realm of Aeroglass and Dreamscape?

Also, does a high res. like mine indicate that I should to some extent prioritise ram on the card over clock speed?

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
System specs? For DX10, you're going to have to upgrade to PCI-E. There most likely won't be any DX10 AGP cards (at least there hasn't been any indication that there will be).

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
The 8600 Ultra isn't out yet.
I will personally rather get a cheap/good enough PCI-e video card like a x1650 Pro. Then upgrade to a good DX10 card when you KNOW you need it. Don't bother upgrading your AGP card. Even if there is a good AGP card available, the CPU (and everything else) will be the bottleneck.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I would get a stopgap card.
The cheapest thing to limp you along.

It's only 30days until the DX10 cards comeout.
Consider an EVGA is you go a bit mid-range.
Their "Stepup" program which offers free upgrades when new cards come out may save you some money.

The program is not quite a good as it sounds though.
You are credited with what you paid, but need to pay EVGA the list price for the card which is often quite a bit more than what it would really sell for.

DX10 will not help you today.
But if you plan on keeping this card for 2-3 years, you will be glad you have the DX10 when the time comes.

TRENDING THREADS