"b:boot.ini" file created, but undeleteable

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
November 23, 2004 12:05:04 AM

Ok, so a few days ago I was attempting to recreate the boot.ini file on my
c:\ drive using a bootable DOS floppy and a NTFS read/write program for DOS,
and I have put a new boot.ini on my C:\ drive (at the time read as the B:\
drive by the NTFS program). But, upon restarting my computer, I notice the
boot.ini is STILL corrupted, so I go through many online documents only to be
reminded that the Windows 2000 CD has a Recovery Console on it, which I then
used to fix the problem. BUT (the bad part comes now) I find a file in my C:\
drive root named b:\boot.ini along with the boot.ini I recreated. but while
trying to delete the so-called b:\boot.ini file, the system tells me it
doesn't exist (Cannot delete file:Cannot read from source or disk). Now the
disk, I can assure you, is there and running all the other files properly.
While trying to create a duplicate of this file Windows tells me I'm not
allowed to put \ or/ in my file name, probably so you don't try to create a
drive inside a drive, which seems to me what happened here. This file isn't a
nuisance, but it is there when it shouldn't be, and someone out there may
eventually use this as a potential exploit and I'm not too thrilled about
that possibility.

So, that is all the info I have for you right now. Has this been reported
before? If so, Where? and How do I delete it?

I will be glad to assist in any info needed if necessary.

More about : boot ini file created undeleteable

Anonymous
November 23, 2004 8:32:50 AM

Well that is a new one for me. Anyhow try rename the file or use del b*.ini
at the command prompt which something tells me will not work. It may not
even display with a dir command. Also see the link below for tips on hard to
remove files and in particular see if "Causes 5 or 6" offers any solutions
including the link in that section and as in trying del \\?\c:\b:\boot.ini
for instance . Also try running Check Disk on that disk volume. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320081

!