folder access permissions

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
November 23, 2004 12:07:04 PM

I just moved a file server into our domain as a member server, hoping to keep
user accounts and permissions intact. However, users that log into the domain
cannot get at their folders unless I manually add their domain account to
their folder. Users that aren't in the domain yet are okay. I guess this
makes sense security wise, but is there a quicker way to do this? I tried
adding the member server user group to the Domain Users but couldn't get it
to work.

Any help is appreciated as users are starting to complain.

Thanks,
Darrell
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
November 23, 2004 9:19:55 PM

That is the way it works in a domain. If you need to control access to a
folder to be a single user you will have to add the domain users account to
the ACL for a folder that already exists. Normally when setting up domain
users you can assign home folders via their user account in AD Users and
Computers or use Folder Redirection. That may not work well as an after the
fact configuration but it is something to consider. The links below explain
more. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816313
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/centers/...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232692

"Darrell" <Darrell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 40D2E6D-4491-4BFA-91FF-420C4C973CB6@microsoft.com...
>I just moved a file server into our domain as a member server, hoping to
>keep
> user accounts and permissions intact. However, users that log into the
> domain
> cannot get at their folders unless I manually add their domain account to
> their folder. Users that aren't in the domain yet are okay. I guess this
> makes sense security wise, but is there a quicker way to do this? I tried
> adding the member server user group to the Domain Users but couldn't get
> it
> to work.
>
> Any help is appreciated as users are starting to complain.
>
> Thanks,
> Darrell
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
November 24, 2004 1:49:42 AM

As you alter users' practices to use a domain account you will need
to reACL their resources for the new account. IOW, these are new,
different accounts so they need to get threaded to where they ought.
In a domain environment, definitions from the domain level can/should
flow down into the members. Definitions cannot flow the other way
(add member group into domain group does not fly).

--
Roger Abell
MCDBA, MCSE W2k3+W2k+Nt4

!