Cannot get WRT54G connected and functioning on wired network

T1Tech

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Hello,

I have been having some problems with a linksys WRT54G. Initially I wanted to add it to our existing wired network for a few wireless clients.

We currently have one server that is our primary DHCP server and I would like it to remain as such.

Our firewall (currently PIX 506) is in another part of the building with our cable modem SB5120.

I have started the configuration process as followss. The wireless router WRT54G Version 3.1 Firmware 4.30.5 is connected in my office via a CAT5 cable from my ethernet adapter to port 1 of the router.

The internet port is connected to a wall jack.

I release my assigned network IP and renew it from the wireless router which assigns me 192.168.1.1. After opening the setup page, I start the configuration as follows. (Our network uses a range of IP's similar to 81.0.0.2 through 81.0.0.254 on 255.255.255.0)

Automatic configuration (DHCP)

Local IP Address of Router - 81.0.0.90
Static IP of my PC - 81.0.0.79
Subnet:255.255.255.0
Gateway: 81.0.0.80 - I would like this to use the default gateway that our existing network uses (81.0.0.1).

I have excluded the following range on our existing DHCP server for wireless clients:
81.0.0.81 through 81.0.0.89

I have tried leaving the DHCP server of the router enabled, as well as disabling it to no avail. I have no internet connection when using the 81.0.0.79 IP for my PC and I cannot access our shared recources on the network.

I had this working at one point a few months ago but I changed the encryption from WEP to WPA to see if a client could access the network wirelessly, and things went awry after that.

No I am virtually at the beginning and nothing seems to be working.
My Computer that wireless router is attached to is running WIN XP PRO (firewall disabled).

Any assistance is appreciated.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
A few suggestions. Turn off the DHCP, NAT (firewall) in the router. The WAN port should go to the wall jack to server. Connect your pc through the lan ports (1-4). Since your gateway is the same as the router, it may not come up. I think it will if a direct connect. Re-boot the router. Either do a ipconfig /release and /renew, reboot, and my favorate is disable the lan port then renable it. Seams to clears some resources. Just choose one of your choice.

If you get a 81... Ip address you connect to your DHCP server.

Now as for wireless. I never like the wizzards, never seam to work for me. Connect to routers config and setup the wireless WPA-TKIP. I always like to use random generated key use all printable chr. Then just copy and paste the key. Eliminates all typo's that way. Put in on a usb key so you can transfer it to the wireless clients. If you only have 11g clients, set the radio to only 11g. This will force all connections to 11g.

It would have been easier if you had picked up the AP. it would have been strait forward. All you would have to done would be set SSID, that WPA up.

T1Tech

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Thanks for the reply Blue. So, should I start looking around for a plain old Access Point?

Thanks again

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Yes, That what I use with a non-wireless router. If you need to segerated groups or users need to be isolated (on a different subnet) look at the USR5453

T1Tech

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Thansk again Blue. Is the AP toughh to configure (Disable NAT), or more specifcally, how does it actually connect to the wired network?

Secondly, since this evidently won't act as a DHCP server (can be turned off I presume), wireless clients will be able to walk in and surf by getting an IP from our severs DHCP server, then connecting to the AP and surfing?

I almost forgot one question. Will I be able to connect to the AP to configure it with a CAT5 cable? Also, after configuration will it be stable enough to physically move the AP's location to higher ground for better wireless reception?

Thanks again. I appreciate the guidance.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
A AP is the Wireless part of a wireless router. Do not have NAT, some have a DHCP server for the wireless clints only. I have mine turned off letting the router control the DHCP.

The setup is done just like a router, through a web interface by IP address. For the Initial setup you have the options for the AP to get its IP via DHCP (default) or Static. You can have your wireless client on a seperate Subnet. You then set up the secuity, WEP, WPA, WPA2 on some. Enter the key, SSID, and your in operation. Not nearly as complicated as a router.

Re locating the AP is it one of its strengths. It's not tied down by all the wires like the router is. I have mine on the opposite side of the house.

Some have POE, meaning it can be powered through the cat5 cable. Makes them really portable.

T1Tech

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Thanks again Blue. For confirmation, the wireless clients will have access to all network resources correct?

Thank you again. Your knowledge is appreciated.

T1Tech

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
If you need to segerated groups or users need to be isolated (on a different subnet) look at the USR5453

Hi Blue, I won't need the users to be on a separate subnet (not to my knowledge anyway) so is the USR5453 overkill as a basic Access Point?

Thank you.