Problems with upgrading my laptop memory

antigodzyz

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
i got a philips freevents x56 laptop whih 1 gb memory (1gb *1)
i want to upgrade it but i can only find 1 memory slot just under the cover backward , i cant find the other one. I try to open the whole structure but cant see any other slots. Does this laptop have only one memory slot?

antigodzyz

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Seems like this is a question for the manufacturer/vendor.

i know i have sent a email to them. But i dont expcet they will reply. so anyone know about this type of laptop? any more memory slots,the structure of the mainboard?

Mondoman

Splendid
Many memory vendors (e.g. crucial.com etc) have "memory configurators" which indicate how many memory slots there are in the system and even where they are located -- you might look for such sites.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
The problem with laptops is that they are alot less "Standardised" than desktops, and unless someone knows that specific model well, they cant give you a firm answer.

However, if there were any other slots they would have to be in extremely close proximity to the one slot you have found, therefore it sounds to me like there is only one SODIMM slot.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Have you looked in the manual? Have you called or emailed tech support? Have you taken it to a shop to have them try to install another module? Have your heard of search engines? Have you heard of laptop forums that discuss specific brands and models?

On some laptops (my R4000 for example) there is a memory slot under the keyboard and one on the bottom of the computer.

You need to do at least a little homework before you ask for help. Many of us (myself included) have made mistakes when posting but at least get a clue before you ask.

antigodzyz

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Here's the support website: http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk/layo...&CatID={5d02cf60-4dc5-4136-81ec-f05ec8a67abe}

You have 2 X 512 PC2 4200 memory sticks

Here is the tech support contact info based on where you bought the computer:

http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk/Layo...88}&ID={10b82854-6480-46c8-b7cd-d16264460686}

Have you looked in the manual? Have you called or emailed tech support? Have you taken it to a shop to have them try to install another module? Have your heard of search engines? Have you heard of laptop forums that discuss specific brands and models?

On some laptops (my R4000 for example) there is a memory slot under the keyboard and one on the bottom of the computer.

You need to do at least a little homework before you ask for help. Many of us (myself included) have made mistakes when posting but at least get a clue before you ask.

I know i maybe ask the question at a wrong site.but i am new one for Tomshardware.
but if u think i did nothing u r wrong. Dont show me just the pcservicecall web site. I have already sent them email, and i told i dont expect they will reply. and they make a mistake. it shows 512*2 but in my laptop it's 1gb * 1 so i dont trust them. and i do the search , no assembly diagram, and of course i know lots of of laptops have 2 slots one is under the backward cover, one is just at the same postiton but below the keyboard,shold be at the same welding points. I got 2 thinkpad, I can disassemble it even close my eyes. but this laptop is stupid, not as easy as thinkpad to disassemble it.

i just forget to use some software to detect my laptop(aida 32). Everyone comes from a noob. it is so silly to think how powerful u r yourself.

antigodzyz

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
How many slots does CPU-Z show on the SPD tab?

In all the slots on that tab, how many have a module in?

hehe i dont know why ,i download newest version guess what?
in spd tab there 4 slots!!!!!
slot 1 = 1gb
slot 2~4 all empty!!!!!

visually i see one 1gb memory under the backward cover

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
My apolagies. Your initial question didn't indicate that you had tried anything else. The support website seems to be the only information around for this machine and the spec sheet says it comes with 2 x 512 modules. If CPU-Z is telling you there is a single stick of 1mb ram installed then you just need to find the other slot(s). Perhaps the other slot is hidden under your existing module?

Some of the people on this site seem to believe this is actually a Twinhead H12Y. http://www.itreviews.co.uk/discuss/2409/9
On page 7 of that forum, one person said they installed a 2g memory module and it worked fine.

I coulnd't find the H12Y on the Twinhead site but the models that have the C2D seem to come either with single or dual slots. Maybe you could match your processor to one of the models for the counry of purchase and get a little more information.

Typically, when they say that it will only support X amount of ram, it means they haven't tested it with all possible configurations. As mondoman pointed out, you should be able to find out what modules will work from different manufacturers. But that's dependant on how many slots are physically present.

You seem to have a very perplexing problem with limited tech support.

edit: Just found this:
RAM is under the metal panel on base of the machine (Slot 0 is the top of the two slots so you'll need to remove the existing DIMM to fit the new one i slot 1 and then refit the original one back in 0)
It's at the bottom of page 16 of the forum I pointed to earlier. Hopefully it's the same model and configuration as yours.

antigodzyz

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
many thanks for the research!!
at last i disassemble my laptop (not totally) below the slot 0 (the other side of the mainboard,same position with slot 0) there is no other slots!!!
and to think, for manufacturer and design they usually use 2*512 instead 1 singel 1gb!! and also for upgrading conveniently, they should put the memory to the slot which is inside the laptop,then fill the outer side one!!!!
so i think there is only one slot!!
and in that web page.
that guy said :I just put a 2GB So-DIMM in the machine and it recognises the Ram in both the bios and Windows. It also seems to have made it a bit faster

he didnt mention its a 2*1 gb memory or singel 2 gb memory!!!

antigodzyz

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
and most strange thing is that in cpu z ,spd tag there are 4 slots with 3 empty which is my case detected!!!!!!! usually for a laptop there should be only 2 or 1 slot!!!

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I think the guy on the forum was saying that he put in a 2g module. The person on page 16 was saying that you had to remove the existing module to see the slot below it. The advertisements and information sheets seemed to indicate that some models had two slots and some only had one but it was rather confusing.

Your CPU-Z report seems rather strange. Would be interesting to see what your RAM manufacturer lists for the module specs and then see how SPD reports it. You're right, 4 slots reported seems odd, especially for a laptop.

antigodzyz

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I think the guy on the forum was saying that he put in a 2g module. The person on page 16 was saying that you had to remove the existing module to see the slot below it. The advertisements and information sheets seemed to indicate that some models had two slots and some only had one but it was rather confusing.

Your CPU-Z report seems rather strange. Would be interesting to see what your RAM manufacturer lists for the module specs and then see how SPD reports it. You're right, 4 slots reported seems odd, especially for a laptop.

thanks for so quick reply but what u mean by "RAM manfufacturer lists for the module specs"

and finial i prefer to abandom hehe . there must be only 1 slot!!!

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
thanks for so quick reply but what u mean by "RAM manfufacturer lists for the module specs"

Under the SPD tab of CPU-Z it lists the RAM manufacturer, part number, and serial number. Using those numbers, you can check that against the serial numbers against the manufacturers web site to see if CPU-Z is reading data from the module correctly. Not a big deal, just confused about the way it's reporting 4 slots and wondering if it was reading other things correctly.

If you can't find a second slot on the bottom of the mobo and if, after you removed the existing memory module and didn't find a second slot, then it appears that you only have one physical memory slot. It's just that it contradicts the info reported by CPU-Z.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
CPU-z might also be reporting the maximum number of slots the chipset supports, even if not all are physically implemented in the laptop.

My impression was that CPU-Z reads the SPD info from the module eprom. I noticed that SIS Sandra does read from the chipset. Well, that's an issue for someone who's smarter than I am!

Guess if I really want to know I should make google my friend :lol:

Mondoman

Splendid
CPU-z might also be reporting the maximum number of slots the chipset supports, even if not all are physically implemented in the laptop.

My impression was that CPU-Z reads the SPD info from the module eprom. ...
Yes, but it reads other info from other places on the MB (and of course an existing slot that happens to be empty won't have any SPD data -- I was thinking of the 1x1GB and 1xempty situation ).

philinpz

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011

philinpz
The memory card slot under the bottom cover panel of the Philips Freevents X56 accepts 1gb or 2gb memory cards. I purchased a 2gb memory card for my X56 from aememory.com, an excellent site, the layout of which makes it as easy as abc to find the correct memory. Trying to find anything for the Philips X56 is trying indeed, so it is refreshing to find a site that specifically lists memory for the Philips Freevents range.

TRENDING THREADS