PDA-GPS system: Thoughts?

a b α HP
May 16, 2005 2:46:34 PM

I'm considering a pocketpc PDA. Currently using a palmOS Clie which is
ok. I'd like to have wireless, bluetooth and GPS capabilities.

I think I've gotten down to the HP ipaq hx2755 w/ HP's bluetooth GPS
system.

Any thoughts on this combination? Any advice on alternatives?

Is it worth waiting for the new OS? How long is that likely to take?
Would you expect HP to immediately start shipping with the new OS or
reduce prices on the old systems? My inference from scanning this
group is that one cannot upgrade to a new OS after purchase, is that
correct?

Thank you for any comments or input you might have.
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 17, 2005 12:47:59 AM

I have the exact same setup, tom tom and a bluetooth gps, its brilliant.
Only gripe i have is the firmware has a bug where sometimes you cannot
switch it back on without a soft reset, HP will release a rom upgrade this
month.

The ppc is perfect apart from that, need to know anything else drop me a
line

Cheers
Chris
"InOtherNews >" <<> wrote in message
> I'm considering a pocketpc PDA. Currently using a palmOS Clie which is
> ok. I'd like to have wireless, bluetooth and GPS capabilities.
>
> I think I've gotten down to the HP ipaq hx2755 w/ HP's bluetooth GPS
> system.
>
> Any thoughts on this combination? Any advice on alternatives?
>
> Is it worth waiting for the new OS? How long is that likely to take?
> Would you expect HP to immediately start shipping with the new OS or
> reduce prices on the old systems? My inference from scanning this
> group is that one cannot upgrade to a new OS after purchase, is that
> correct?
>
> Thank you for any comments or input you might have.

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 17, 2005 2:08:49 AM

"InOtherNews >" <<> wrote in message
> I'm considering a pocketpc PDA. Currently using a palmOS Clie which is
> ok. I'd like to have wireless, bluetooth and GPS capabilities.
>
> I think I've gotten down to the HP ipaq hx2755 w/ HP's bluetooth GPS
> system.
>
> Any thoughts on this combination? Any advice on alternatives?
>
> Is it worth waiting for the new OS? How long is that likely to take?
> Would you expect HP to immediately start shipping with the new OS or
> reduce prices on the old systems? My inference from scanning this
> group is that one cannot upgrade to a new OS after purchase, is that
> correct?
>
> Thank you for any comments or input you might have.

One thing that might be worth mentioning is that a Bluelogger can be used as
the bluetooth gps, with said unit also having the ability to be used
independently of the PPC (as a logging device). Also the info from
bluelogger can be used with post processing software on a PC to obtain
sub-meter accuracy, if such accuracy is required after the outing/event.

Still, having a GPS/PPC is a great combination, whatever you use. You might
consider a 2600 otter box or similiar if you plan on taking it out in bad
weather, but AFAIK you may be using it only in a car.

And if you are planning to use it on a trail I would suggest looking at
Delorme Topo 5, which allows exporting smoothly scaleable topo maps to the
PPC (using Street Atlas 2004 or better). These maps tend to work better
than bitmap based topos (Outdoor navigator, etc) for this reason, but simply
having either is terrific.

And for custom mapping you should look at a good moving map program for easy
to calibrate map images (GPS Tuner (my fav), GPS Dash, etc). You can
customize maps into some really impressive moving information points with a
little effort. Custom maps also work with road map images well enough, such
as driving tours, etc. You really are limited only by your imagination.
One of my favorite PPC mapping projects to date was downlading a ton of
satelite images from TerraServer and having the PPC show me a continous Sat
map of where I was going (within a limited road corridor at least, using 2
meter maps). Yeah, it was canned images, but really cool to a nerd like
myself.

Of course, if you plan on staying on the road look up TomTom before any
choice. It might work for you, might not, but deserves having a look.

Good Luck!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 17, 2005 2:08:50 AM

Thanks to xTenn and Chris for your comments. Seems there's a lot more
to know about GPS before I move ahead on this. I spent several hours
today on that quest and, as always, the more I learn, the more I don't
know. Somehow it all seems so simple a little while ago.

It does seem that Tom Tom is the popular choice. What's less clear to
me is: It that Tom Tom software -- to run on a ppc with a range of gps
devices -- or Tom Tom as a hardware/software system? And, what about
Garmin? My impression is that Garmin's software is more proprietary
and only works w/ Garmin's receiver, but that could be totally off.

Is there a good primer/tutorial on the subject? Is there much
difference between the information available re dedicated GPS units
and ppc interfaced receivers?

Finally, does anyone have any comments on the advisability of waiting
for the new OS?
May 17, 2005 7:46:10 AM

I have the tomtom software/wired GPS and cradle for the ipaq 5550. Great
set up. I logged almost 83000 miles last year all over the USA for work and
had few problems.
I am now trying iGuidance and using it with the tomtom cradle and GPS and it
is working well also.

"InOtherNews >" <<> wrote in message
> I'm considering a pocketpc PDA. Currently using a palmOS Clie which is
> ok. I'd like to have wireless, bluetooth and GPS capabilities.
>
> I think I've gotten down to the HP ipaq hx2755 w/ HP's bluetooth GPS
> system.
>
> Any thoughts on this combination? Any advice on alternatives?
>
> Is it worth waiting for the new OS? How long is that likely to take?
> Would you expect HP to immediately start shipping with the new OS or
> reduce prices on the old systems? My inference from scanning this
> group is that one cannot upgrade to a new OS after purchase, is that
> correct?
>
> Thank you for any comments or input you might have.

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 17, 2005 7:50:43 PM

> Thanks to xTenn and Chris for your comments. Seems there's a lot more
> to know about GPS before I move ahead on this. I spent several hours
> today on that quest and, as always, the more I learn, the more I don't
> know. Somehow it all seems so simple a little while ago.

I was recently in your position - I found out a huge amount of information
from
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

Very helpful - It took a while to learn enough to know what questions to
ask/look for answers to but I'm very happy with my setup (hx4700globalsat
338 bt gps

nik
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 19, 2005 6:35:16 PM

I use Socket Bluetooth GPS Nav Kit that ships with ''MyNavigator'' software.
You can purchase the Bluetooth GPS Device with or without any software since
I have found other software to work with it this shouldn't pose as a
problem.

This device connects to my Loox 720 via Bluetooth wireless and works fine.
(I use it in the car)

http://www.socketcom.com/product/GP0822-523.asp

"Chris" <wirlybird@webzone.net> wrote in message
>I have the tomtom software/wired GPS and cradle for the ipaq 5550. Great
>set up. I logged almost 83000 miles last year all over the USA for work
>and had few problems.
> I am now trying iGuidance and using it with the tomtom cradle and GPS and
> it is working well also.
>
> "InOtherNews >" <<> wrote in message
>> I'm considering a pocketpc PDA. Currently using a palmOS Clie which is
>> ok. I'd like to have wireless, bluetooth and GPS capabilities.

!