A8N-E and FX60 Overclocking

Sonny01

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I had a 3500+ 2.2ghz overclocked to 2.5ghz but I just upgraded to an FX60. What would be a stable setting to get to 2.8 or 2.9ghz on my A8N-E? I did this overclocking when I first bought the CPU when it first came out and can't remember what all I did. (I'm old and forget stuff)
Thanks,
Sonny01

Sonny01

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Thanks AdamBomb42 but that doesn't help...there isn't a piece about my board or CPU. What I'm looking for is someone that has the board and CPU and what settings they have done to overclock. I have 1ghz of Ozs dual channel memory and an ATI X600 PCI.e card and a Seasonic 600 watt power supply.

Sonny01

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
kolemunky I tried your settings except I couldn't find where to set in the 2.7 for the memory voltage and my computer froze during POST. So...what I did then was try memory at 208...multiplier at 14...CPU voltage at AUTO...PCI at 100...for a total of 2.91. Not to shabby. I ran MemTest for awhile with no errors. Can I mess with the PCI settings? What would be a next step to try. And thanks for your help by the way...you got me thinking on the right track again.
Plus, I wanted to add that I'm using a Typhoon cooler. Not the VX model but the original one. CPU temp is 30C and system is 33C. CPU voltage is 1.55.

kolemunky

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
im not familiar with the a8n bios settings, but on mine the ddr voltage is on the same page as v core. you would definately have to loosen your memory timing if you were going to up the memory speed to 273....under memory settings....set limit to 200....than set timings to manual. i have mine set at 3-3-3-7 but thats for my memory....yours may be and probably is different. dont mess with pci e frequency.....makes compy very unstable if it boots at all. leave at 100. if you decide to overclock your memory.....it basically increases latency..... if not, just up the multiplier like you have done. 200 x 15 will work for a higher cpu clock. good luck

DrozD

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
I could never get 3.0 stable given the other settings I wanted. 2.95 (mult 14.5) was about it for stability without much OC on the video. I wanted the video maxed so I backed the CPU down to 2.8 with memory at cas 2 and 1T timing. 2-3-2-6 FSB 200 (much higher caused stability problems when everything else was also up) CPU volt 1.5375. No lockup problems. I was looking for over 70 fps in FEAR @ 1600x1200 with all the candy and no stutter or freeze. Got that without issues. CAS2 and 1T timing make a difference if your memory is up to it. See if you can get that before uping the cpu. Goodluck

I had a 3500+ 2.2ghz overclocked to 2.5ghz but I just upgraded to an FX60. What would be a stable setting to get to 2.8 or 2.9ghz on my A8N-E? I did this overclocking when I first bought the CPU when it first came out and can't remember what all I did. (I'm old and forget stuff)
Thanks,
Sonny01

The FX60 multiplier is unlocked, and really is only limited by your CPU cooling, all you need to OC to 2800 is change the multiplier from 13x to 14x with everyhting else left at its default settings.

If your cooling is sufficient just raising your multiplier will get you to 2800mhz but when you go the raising the multiplier route with the FX60 the FSB settings need to be 200mhz default.

If the FX60 doesn't run stably at stock Vcore then that may have to be increased but try first the 14X multiplier and go from there, increasing the Vcore increases the CPU heat and you may have to increase the Vcore to reach a 15X multiplier which will take you to 3,000 mhz.

I had mine at 3,018mhz with a 15x multi but I was also water cooling at the time but with a good aftermarket heatpipe cooling solution you should easily reach the 15x multi and possibly with the stock AMD heatpipe cooler than came with the FX60.

Your M/Bs multi settings and Vcore should all be controlled in the CMOS setup.

In your CMOS setup everything you need to access is under the Advanced Tab.

under CPU Configuration

Note if the CPU is accurately noted it should list;

AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Processor

This is a good indicator that the required BIOS flash is running so the CPU is properly recognized.

Still under CPU Configuration

Access DRAM Configuration and make sure;

Mem Clock is set to Auto

Esc that section and still under the Advanced Tab select;

Jumper Free Configuration;

Set Overclock Profile to Manual

CPU Multiplier to 14x

CPU voltage is right below but first just set the Multi to 14x,and see if it will boot with those settings.

Esc, F10, to save, Enter

By the way Sonny, I have an FX60 and an ASUS M/B not your same model but the CMOS is the same according to your manual I've already downloaded, taking the wife out to supper be back in a couple of hours, feel free tp PM me if you want, sometimes too much input is confusing I'll be glad to help. Ryan

Sonny01

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I found the DDR voltage and set it to 2.70 but 209x14 is the best I can do and I can do that at DDR AUTO. I have tried 200x15 and 209x14.5 at 2.7 and I reboot just after the Windows screen with the moving blue bar. I have to go out for awhile and will continue my quest for 3.0 when I return home.
Thanks for all of your help guys...I really appreciate it.

txtmstrjoe

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
kolemunky I tried your settings except I couldn't find where to set in the 2.7 for the memory voltage and my computer froze during POST. So...what I did then was try memory at 208...multiplier at 14...CPU voltage at AUTO...PCI at 100...for a total of 2.91. Not to shabby. I ran MemTest for awhile with no errors. Can I mess with the PCI settings? What would be a next step to try. And thanks for your help by the way...you got me thinking on the right track again.
Plus, I wanted to add that I'm using a Typhoon cooler. Not the VX model but the original one. CPU temp is 30C and system is 33C. CPU voltage is 1.55.

Overclocking is something that has to be done meticulously and methodically if it's going to be done successfully. Plugging in someone else's settings, even if your parts are the same as his, simply doesn't guarantee that you'll get identical results. Computer components are like fingerprints: Each is unique. This is why a methodical approach based on incremental changes and plenty of testing is, in my opinion, the only way to go.

Good luck with your project!

Overclocking is something that has to be done meticulously and methodically if it's going to be done successfully. Plugging in someone else's settings, even if your parts are the same as his, simply doesn't guarantee that you'll get identical results. Computer components are like fingerprints: Each is unique. This is why a methodical approach based on incremental changes and plenty of testing is, in my opinion, the only way to go.

Good luck with your project!

I agree each CPU and GPU is different even if its from the same production batch, some can do more than others straight out of the box, so methodically stepping towards the true OC is definitely the way tio go.