NTFS File Permissions.

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
November 27, 2004 10:15:15 AM

I have set file permission in windows 2000 for users on a local
machine however this operating system has become corrupt and a new
disk has been installed so as the files could then be transferred to
the new os. The new os is Windows XP sp2.

However I cannot access some files which were modified within the w2k
os. Is there a utility that can remove all file permissions on a disk?

TIA.

Andy

More about : ntfs file permissions

Anonymous
November 27, 2004 1:20:46 PM

Alternatively, logged in as an admin, use NTbackup to back
the structure and files up into a file. When you restore this to
the new location make sure that you do not check to option to
restore permissions.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
"Andy Baron" <abaronsk6@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have set file permission in windows 2000 for users on a local
> machine however this operating system has become corrupt and a new
> disk has been installed so as the files could then be transferred to
> the new os. The new os is Windows XP sp2.
>
> However I cannot access some files which were modified within the w2k
> os. Is there a utility that can remove all file permissions on a disk?
>
> TIA.
>
> Andy
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 7:21:45 PM

Andy,

If you only used file permissions and not e.g. EFS (Encrypted File System)
then all you need to do is take ownership of the folders and files. After
this, you will have full access to your data.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

I hope this helps,

Mike

!