[PW!] Ferry Bound to Dewford Town

Last response: in Video Games
April 30, 2004 5:44:48 AM

Ferry Bound to Dewford Town

Once more, it seemed to be a peaceful morning at the Rustboro Docks. As
multitudes of Wingull flew overhead cooing silently to themselves as the aged
ticket seller sat and read from his newspaper, bored with his job and only
expecting two things; more stupid questions and no customers.

"Excuse me?" a feminine voice piped up.

The man looked up to find a small group of five people and five Pokémon
waiting before him. He recognized the spiny-haired girl with the Blastoise and
the Larvitar from yesterday, but didn't recognize her new companions; a short
brown-haired boy, a tall brown-haired girl with a Murkrow on one shoulder, a
Combusken, a boy slightly shorter than the brown-haired girl with a Mawile
keeping a firm grip on his shoulder, and another young man with good build.

"Yes?"

The tall girl explained, "We'd like six tickets for the 9 AM ferry to
Dewford Town."

The ticket seller blinked. "I'm sorry; I think my hearing's going bad. What
was that?"

"We would like to purchase six tickets for the 9 AM ferry to Dewford Town,"
the tall girl clarified.

"The ticket seller blinked again. For the first time in a long time, someone
had actually come up to his booth, not asked any stupid questions, and directly
asked for what they wanted to purchase. Despite the fact that the ticket window
was literally framed by signs declaring in clear, bold paint the times and cost
for taking the ferry to Dewford Town, many simply came up to his booth and
asked anyway, either out of stupidity or a desire to be a pain in the rear.
With a smile plastered on his face, he gazed skyward and said, "Thank you,"
before returning his attention to his customers and saying, "That'll be six
bucks."

-

"I wonder what that was all about," Jeff Raiser finally asked as the group
occupied some benches while waiting for the ferry to be prepped for travel.

"Normally, I don't ask," Alexandria Masters replied. "But I'm willing to bet
that he must get a lot of problems from people."

John Scriebb finally spoke up, changing the subject, "So, you have any
advice about the Pokémon at Brawly's gym?"

"I think being patient and wearing them down bit by bit is more feasible
than anything," Alex replied. "And even then, we shouldn't have a problem. We
both have Pokémon that stand a fair chance against Fighting-types, and there
are plenty of Abra over in Granite Cave." With a glance towards her youngest
traveling companion, she advised, "You may want to go with Ben and catch one
while you're in the neighborhood."

"I'll think about it," Jeff assured her. He then looked towards Ben and
asked, "What about you? Are you going to the Gym?"

"I've already won the Knuckle Badge," Ben explained. "I'm mostly here to
help out, just in case."

"Now that sounds wise," Alex noted. With a glance towards the fifth member
of their party, she noted, "At least someone's willing to believe that part of
the story."

Ben darted a glance towards the person in question and asked, "Bummed that
she doesn't believe you, huh?"

"A little," Alex replied. "I'm not surprised, though. I can't give her any
proof."

"What about that memory beaming you did with Bob and Ben?" Jeff asked.

Alex turned to him and shook her head. "Tsunade has Dark-type attributes.
Nothing even remotely linked to psionics can break through, at least nothing I
can pull off. Maybe Sabrina could pull it off, especially considering how close
she is, but I doubt it."

"How close she is?" John repeated.

"Sabrina's been in town at least since yesterday," Alex explained. "Checking
up on a few 'hobbies', she said. Why?"

John shrugged. "No big reason."

Meanwhile, ShadowWarrior the Murkrow fluttered over to where Nori was
sitting, Big Time the Larvitar nestled in her lap and Rubix the Blastoise
standing beside her bench, and asked, "Mind if I talk to you for a few
minutes?"

Nori looked at the small talking avian, then darted a glance towards Alex
and asked, "This isn't about your crazy trainer, is it?"

"Yes and no," ShadowWarrior admitted. "I realize that you don't believe
Alex's story about her heritage. Frankly, I don't blame you, and I'm not going
to address that. I'm more concerned about you believing Alex's story about
being attacked."

"What's there to believe?" Nori asked. "She probably knocked all of you
around using that Beldum of hers."

"Beldum can't learn Hyper Beam," ShadowWarrior said point-blank, "and I
certainly didn't get hit by a Take Down attack. And before you suggest that it
was that Unown Alex caught back in Petalburg Woods, that's impossible. Alex
hasn't let that thing out of its Poké Ball at all since we arrived in town.
Besides, Alex isn't the kind of person to hurt members of her own team on
purpose."

Nori raised one eyebrow, "Even in a battle?"

"That's different," ShadowWarrior replied. "Pokémon are expected to be
knocked around in matches, that's a given. But to inflict pain and injury upon
her own Pokémon isn't in Alex's personality, especially without provocation."

Before Nori could make a reply, Rubix laid a claw-like hand upon her
shoulder, "Why exactly are you so willing to defend her?"

ShadowWarrior took a breath, then said, "Because she gave me what I wanted
more than anything else." He looked directly at the three, then began, "Let me
tell you a little story. It's about a Murkrow born in the wagon of a traveling
show. He lived with his family, and a few other humans, for several weeks. He
was happy. Then strangers came, and took him from that family. He was alone,
and afraid." After a quick breath, he continued, "And at this point, I may as
well drop the 'third person' bit and give you the story straight. My time with
my captors wasn't exactly rosy."

-Flashback!-

"What is this Pokémon?"

"MURKROW!"

"Wrong!"-BZZT!-"What is it?"

"Murrr…Murkrow!"

"Wrong!"-BZZT!-"What is it?"

"Muuu...muk..."

"Very good. Now, this one."

"Murk..." Realizing that the button supplying electricity to his cage was
within inches of being pushed, he amended himself, "Shellder."

-End!-

"I went through torture with every word I learned in this language,"
ShadowWarrior recalled. "But there was one word I learned of very early on,
thanks to the constant television viewing I went through. 'Freedom'. That one,
little, bi-syllabic word gave me a lot of hope, and it was only thanks to a
trio of individuals, one of whom was another talking Pokémon, that I achieved
freedom."

"And you threw it all away by letting a crazy psychic capture you," Nori
posed.

"No," the Murkrow replied. "Alex asked me to join her team. If I had
refused, she would have allowed me to go, I know it."

"How?" Nori asked. "For all you know, all this could be one big act."

"Look at Surtur," ShadowWarrior asked. "He's intelligent, not to mention
suspicious of people at large. If Alex had done anything to even begin to
destroy his trust in her, he wouldn't be with her right now. He trusts her, a
lot more than he's willing to admit to anyone. That, combined with my
experiences with her, tells me something about her."

"And what's that?" Nori asked.

The Murkrow smiled. "Forgive me for sounding like a naïve fool, missy, but
it tells me the same thing that her instincts tell her about you." With a look
towards Big Time, he said, "I don't know how you ended up with her, little one,
but this is a good thing. Stick with her. You're bringing out the best in her."

With those words, the raven-feathered Pokémon flew back to his trainer,
leaving the three alone.

"That's one freaky little bird," Rubix noted.

"Still, he's got a point," Nori replied with a grin. "I think having Big
Time was the best thing that happened to me." Her grin growing slightly wider,
she added, "Certainly better than other Pokémon I've stolen."

Both Rubix and Big Time sighed in response to that.

Meanwhile, Sven and Peabody had themselves bought tickets, as had a pair of
gentlemen. One was an aged man with an air of British aristocracy, the second a
much younger man with blonde hair and some Swedish looks to him. Both men made
a few small glances towards Alex as she spoke with her companions...

TBC

[NS: Okay, I realize that things are a little thinly-veiled here. Still, there
was a lot to establish in a short amount of time. If anyone wants to pick up
from here (hint hint), feel free.]
William Rendfeld
Creator of Echowarrior and Alex Masters
178,000 Excellent Author Points
1 'I knew odd pokefacts that confused a bread crumb' point.
20 Y2Tech Points
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 3:00:11 PM

> With those words, the raven-feathered Pokémon flew back to his trainer,
> leaving the three alone.
>
> "That's one freaky little bird," Rubix noted.
>
> "Still, he's got a point," Nori replied with a grin. "I think having Big
> Time was the best thing that happened to me." Her grin growing slightly wider,
> she added, "Certainly better than other Pokémon I've stolen."
>
> Both Rubix and Big Time sighed in response to that.
>
> Meanwhile, Sven and Peabody had themselves bought tickets, as had a pair of
> gentlemen. One was an aged man with an air of British aristocracy, the second a
> much younger man with blonde hair and some Swedish looks to him. Both men made
> a few small glances towards Alex as she spoke with her companions...

Away from Nori, or Tsunade as he knew her, Ben was sitting next to his
mawile companion, enjoying the sea breeze blowing in thier faces.

"I don't get it mawile," Ben commented, "Why don't you want to come to
granite cave? You've been away from your home for more than two months
now, but you don't want to go and see your family. What gives?"

Mawile huffed and crossed his arms at his trainer bringing up the
subject again and replied, "Maw-ile maw mawile maw?"

Ben glanced to Surtur and them in turn to Alex, who translated, "What
about your family?"

"Me?" Ben asked, looking again at his pokemon companion, "But...I was
asking you!"

The mawile folded his arms uncooperatively and held his head up in a huff.

"Okay, okay...I guess if your family is anything like mine then you
wouldn't want to go home." Ben sighed. "I come from lavaridge, and my
dad used to be a follower of the old gym leader before Flannery took
over. He expects me to train under her, and I don't even like fire
pokemon..."

Mawile tapped his trainers arm, "Mawile ma-mawile maw ile..."

"Hey, that's alright little buddy." Ben replied, "We all make mistakes,
and it is nice to apologise."

Mawile gave his trainer a strange look, wondering if he should repeat
what he said. But since his trainer didn't understand him the first
time, he decided against it.
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 7:56:02 AM

>"I don't get it mawile," Ben commented, "Why don't you want to come to
>granite cave? You've been away from your home for more than two months
>now, but you don't want to go and see your family. What gives?"
>
>Mawile huffed and crossed his arms at his trainer bringing up the
>subject again and replied, "Maw-ile maw mawile maw?"
>
>Ben glanced to Surtur and them in turn to Alex, who translated, "What
>about your family?"
>
>"Me?" Ben asked, looking again at his pokemon companion, "But...I was
>asking you!"
>
>The mawile folded his arms uncooperatively and held his head up in a huff.
>
>"Okay, okay...I guess if your family is anything like mine then you
>wouldn't want to go home." Ben sighed. "I come from lavaridge, and my
>dad used to be a follower of the old gym leader before Flannery took
>over. He expects me to train under her, and I don't even like fire
>pokemon..."
>
>Mawile tapped his trainers arm, "Mawile ma-mawile maw ile..."
>
>"Hey, that's alright little buddy." Ben replied, "We all make mistakes,
>and it is nice to apologise."
>
>Mawile gave his trainer a strange look, wondering if he should repeat
>what he said. But since his trainer didn't understand him the first
>time, he decided against it.

"I don't know," Alex noted with a smile. "Fire-types aren't so bad."

Surtur allowed himself a small smirk as he heard Alex.

"Still, to each their own," Alex replied.

"Finally!" a voice cried out in joy. As the two and their traveling
companions looked up, Sven leaned over them and said, "Someone else who hates
Fire-types as much as I do!"

"Um, I never said I hated them..." Ben spoke up.

"And why shouldn't you hate the things?" Sven asked, obviously not paying
attention. "They're ugly, they're useless, and there are much better Pokémon
out there! I bet any common Roselia can take down something like a Torchic, or
even some dumb Combusken."

Surtur's eyes narrowed.

Alex was quick to notice, and quickly began to try and diffuse the
situation. "Sir, I don't have a problem with you expressing your opinions, but
I suggest that you not make such commentary around my friend."

Sven looked to the young woman and said, "Listen kid, I'll say what I want,
when I want, how I want, and no little idiot girl is going to tell me
otherwise. Now butt out." With a sarcastic grin, he added, "Or does your
'friend' like Fire-types?"

"Actually, he *is* a Fire-type," Alex replied, pointing a thumb at Surtur.

Sven cast a small glance towards Surtur, then chuckled. "Typical of some
little girl to pick out something like that. Tell me; were you sad when your
cute little Torchic evolved into a big ugly chicken?"

Surtur's eyes narrowed further; even as a Torchic, he didn't like being
called 'cute'. But calling him ugly was another matter entirely.

Alex laid a hand upon her associate's shoulder, then said, "Surtur evolved
by choice. And before you make any more statements about him, I suggest you
wait until you have reason to."

Sven raised an eyebrow. "Do I hear a challenge?"

Alex grinned. "Better believe it, tough boy."

Watching from nearby, Nori gave a small glance over to Alex's bench,
recognizing the two Team Aqua agents from yesterday. "This may be interesting,"
she noted to herself.

"I thought we agreed not to let the psycho Psychic go psychotic," Rubix
asked.

"Yeah, but seeing a couple Aqua grunts get pounded on may be entertaining,"
Nori replied.

Rubix shrugged. "Don't come crying to me when she starts blowing up
everyone's heads."

-

Within a couple minutes, Alex and Sven had taken up their positions to
battle. Surtur already stood prepared to battle, while Peabody attempted to
dissuade his partner.

"Sven, think seriously here," he noted to his bulkier partner. "You only
have two Pokémon; one is a coward, and the other is vulnerable to
Fighting-types."

"I'll be fine," Sven noted. "Not even Jaws is gonna cower in fear from a
chicken."

On the sidelines, a blonde young man with mixed Swedish-Aryan features
walked up next to a bench where ShadowWarrior stood waiting. "This looks
interesting."

"It should be," the Murkrow replied. "But I wouldn't expect this to last
long."

As Peabody walked out of the way to sit down and watch, Sven pulled out a
solitary Poké Ball and noted, "Best watch yourself, kid, I'm a lot older and a
lot tougher than you are."

"We'll see," Alex noted, guessing that her opponent was bluffing. "Ready,
Surtur?"

"<Quite prepared,>" the Combusken noted, his limbs already wreathed in
flame.

Sven then tossed the Poké Ball in his hand onto the field. It quickly
opened, and solidified into a shape familiar to all those present who were
native to Hoenn.

Sven's reaction was a confident smile.

Surtur's reaction was to quite reasonably back away.

Alex's reaction, however, was something quite unexpected for her.

"AYIIIIEEEE!"

"Sharpedo!" was Jaws the Sharpedo's panicked reaction, both to Alex's scream
and to his opponent.

As Jaws cowered and tried to cover his face with his fins, Alex made a
running leap towards the highest, most distant point she could find.

"What the hell is your problem?" Rubix asked, looking up at the girl who was
now quivering with terror upon his shoulders, her vice-like grip upon one of
his hydro cannons.

"I'm scared of Sharpedo!" Alex cried out.

Nori and Rubix both blinked seeing that, then looked to the cowering Jaws.
"You're scared of that poor excuse for a Dark-type?" Nori asked.

"Of course I'm...!" Alex replied, before finally taking a look at the source
of her fear.

Balancing on his single ventral fin, Jaws stood before them as a whimpering,
cowering mess. Looking in surprise, Alex got down from her perch and said,
"He's terrified."

"Like I said, a poor excuse," Nori replied. "I mean look at him, he's a
Water-type. He shouldn't fear a Fire-type."

"No, I mean he's terrified, of just about everything," Alex elaborated.
"He's more scared of me than I am of him..."

Alex's memories concerning Sharpedo came rushing through her head; how she
had seen one during an early attempt at learning to swim, how the sight of a
Sharpedo, a large fish with so many teeth, was enough to keep her out of the
water, and prevent her from learning to properly swim. But to see something
like that, so totally against her expectations, made her realize something.

"I'm a fool," she said to herself.

With cocked eyebrows from both Nori and Rubix, Alex walked forward, past
Surtur, and with ever-slowing steps towards the frightened Sharpedo before her.
As she approached, Alex gulped, then approached slowly, both of her hands in
front of her, palms exposed. "Now, don't...do anything rash."

Realizing that Alex was approaching him, Jaws attempted to cover his eyes
even more, attempting to squirm away from the human before him.

Alex mustered her courage, then stretched out her hand and slowly laid it
upon Jaws's nose. "I'm not...going to hurt you. And I don't think you'll hurt
me, will you?"

Jaws moved his fins, then looked up at the girl and asked, "Shar?"

"I can't believe I went and did that," Alex said, talking to both herself
and the Sharpedo before her. "Here I am, someone who doesn't want to be judged
based on what she is, and yet I'm treating you with fear where I shouldn't. You
aren't the least bit malicious, are you?"

Jaws blinked, then shook a bit from side to side, echoing his sentiment with
a "Do."

"No, you aren't," Alex said, realizing what Jaws had said just by a guess.
"You wouldn't hurt anyone, would you? You're scared of the bigger fish, just
like I am. But I'm not scary, am I?"

Jaws repeated his earlier motion and said again, "Do."

"And you aren't scary either," Alex observed. "At least, not from the top.
You look kinda noble, actually."

Jaws blushed, and brushed it off, "Sharrrr..."

"Okay, enough touchy-feely stuff," Sven complained. "This is a battle
ground, not a petting zoo."

Alex glared at her opponent. "You know, with behavior like that, I'm not
surprised that your Sharpedo's scared of anything larger than himself."

"Yeah, well, he isn't exactly the best of Pokémon," Sven noted with obvious
distain. "A fierce and powerful Pokémon they said. He's scared of his own
shadow. He's barely worthy to be with Team Aqua."

Alex's eyes opened wide.

Peabody's hand met his face.

Nori and Rubix darted small glances to one another.

"Did you just say...?" Alex began to ask.

"That's right, they are with Team Aqua!" Jeff exclaimed. "They tried to
capture Bob just yesterday!"

"And your sister hit the guy with 'Roid Rage over the head with a hammer
just yesterday," Rubix added, figuring that there was nothing that could be
done at this point.

Alex quickly absorbed that information, then narrowed her eyes at Sven and
said, "Aquas, eh?"

"Wait a second..." Peabody realized. "That redhead was your sister? Then
that means..." His eyes grew wide with the realization that he and his partner
may be in mortal danger. "Sven, you should recall Jaws and we should run, now."

"Why should we...?" Sven asked, before finally piecing together the
information from the previous evening. "Oh. Uh-oh."

Alex quickly considered her options, then suggested, "I suggest you go
quickly then." Despite odd stares from both Aquas, she explained, "I owe your
Sharpedo a favor for what he did for me today. The end of my irrational fear in
exchange for your continued freedom seems a fair trade to me."

Sven and Peabody looked to one another, then nodded. "I forfeit," Sven said
as he recalled Jaws and the two quickly made their exit.

As ShadowWarrior fluttered up to Alex's shoulder, he asked, "You let them
go?"

"They didn't kill my father," Alex said. "Aqua may have been the group that
raided Dad's labs, but those two agents don't seem the type to murder someone.
Besides, Dad was shot, and neither of them were carrying guns."

"You can tell?" ShadowWarrior asked.

"No holsters," Alex replied. With a breath, she turned back to her comrades
and said, "Hope that didn't scare anyone."

TBC?

[NS: I was half-tempted to paraphrase 'A Fistful of Dollars', but I decided
against it. 'Sides, I figure Sven and Peabody may be able to help with a
jailbreak for Elsa. 'Night all.]

William Rendfeld
Creator of Echowarrior and Alex Masters
178,000 Excellent Author Points
1 'I knew odd pokefacts that confused a bread crumb' point.
20 Y2Tech Points
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 4, 2004 3:07:35 AM

"William Rendfeld" <warendfeld@aol.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> quickly then." Despite odd stares from both Aquas, she explained, "I owe your
> Sharpedo a favor for what he did for me today. The end of my irrational fear in
> exchange for your continued freedom seems a fair trade to me."
>
> Sven and Peabody looked to one another, then nodded. "I forfeit," Sven said
> as he recalled Jaws and the two quickly made their exit.
>
> As ShadowWarrior fluttered up to Alex's shoulder, he asked, "You let them
> go?"
>
> "They didn't kill my father," Alex said. "Aqua may have been the group that
> raided Dad's labs, but those two agents don't seem the type to murder someone.
> Besides, Dad was shot, and neither of them were carrying guns."
>
> "You can tell?" ShadowWarrior asked.
>
> "No holsters," Alex replied. With a breath, she turned back to her comrades
> and said, "Hope that didn't scare anyone."

Despite admitting that he wasn't scared, Jeff's tone of voice betrayed him. That
and the three inoluntary steps that he took backwards.

As the spectacle started to clear up, the 9AM ferry arrived on time, meaning that it
was only 5 minutes late. Jeff looked a little leery of getting on the ferry, but then
again it didn't exactly look like the SS Tidal either.

The ferry definitely wasn't as big as the luxury cruiser, and it didn't look nearly as
good. It was also showing sighns of wear, though mostly from heavy traffic from
people taking the ferry constantly. The boat itself wasn't spacious, but there was
enough room for everyone to manoever about and still be comfortable.

The ferry stayed docked for about 10 minutes, probably while the captain got a
hot cup of coffee, before tooting its horn and sailing towards Dewford.

Jeff stared at the retreating view of Rustboro, wondering when next he'll get the
chance to see his brother, and what wicked cool moves he'll have.

The young breeder in-training also made a note to see if there waxs a good
comic or anime store somewhere in Dewford. He needed something to read.

TBC

-------
Clayton

Random Tagline:
Goonie pudding tube socks!

[NS: *sarcastic* I'd hate to see something happen on that nice peaceful ferry ride

.... *realizes that there's no subtlety in that last comment*]
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 5:05:35 PM

>> Sven and Peabody looked to one another, then nodded. "I forfeit," Sven said
>>as he recalled Jaws and the two quickly made their exit.
>>
>> As ShadowWarrior fluttered up to Alex's shoulder, he asked, "You let them
>>go?"
>>
>> "They didn't kill my father," Alex said. "Aqua may have been the group that
>>raided Dad's labs, but those two agents don't seem the type to murder someone.
>>Besides, Dad was shot, and neither of them were carrying guns."
>>
>> "You can tell?" ShadowWarrior asked.
>>
>> "No holsters," Alex replied. With a breath, she turned back to her comrades
>>and said, "Hope that didn't scare anyone."

"I think they should be worried than we are," Ben laughed, "I think what
Cass did left an impression!"

> The ferry stayed docked for about 10 minutes, probably while the captain got a
> hot cup of coffee, before tooting its horn and sailing towards Dewford.
>
> Jeff stared at the retreating view of Rustboro, wondering when next he'll get the
> chance to see his brother, and what wicked cool moves he'll have.
>
> The young breeder in-training also made a note to see if there waxs a good
> comic or anime store somewhere in Dewford. He needed something to read.

Now some way into their voyage, everyone was enjoying the sea breeze,
the soft calls of wingull and goldeen; and most of all, the calm and
tranquility of a boat trip. Mawile leaned over the edge of the boat and
peered into the clear water, and suddenly called out to his trainer in
surprise.

Ben strained his eyes to make out the dark shape, swimming towards the
surface. "That's such a cute goldeen," Ben commented, "With huge,
pointy...teeth!?" The trainer flew back as side of the boat was rammed,
and most of the other travellers were knocked off their chairs.

Having had the wind knocked out of him, Ben gasped, "What...was that?"

> [NS: *sarcastic* I'd hate to see something happen on that nice peaceful ferry ride
>
> ... *realizes that there's no subtlety in that last comment*]

[How's that?]
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 12:51:50 PM

luneric <luneric@dontrit> wrote in message news:<409a293d_1@127.0.0.1>...
> >> Sven and Peabody looked to one another, then nodded. "I forfeit," Sven said
> >>as he recalled Jaws and the two quickly made their exit.
> >>
> >> As ShadowWarrior fluttered up to Alex's shoulder, he asked, "You let them
> >>go?"
> >>
> >> "They didn't kill my father," Alex said. "Aqua may have been the group that
> >>raided Dad's labs, but those two agents don't seem the type to murder someone.
> >>Besides, Dad was shot, and neither of them were carrying guns."
> >>
> >> "You can tell?" ShadowWarrior asked.
> >>
> >> "No holsters," Alex replied. With a breath, she turned back to her comrades
> >>and said, "Hope that didn't scare anyone."
>
> "I think they should be worried than we are," Ben laughed, "I think what
> Cass did left an impression!"
>
> > The ferry stayed docked for about 10 minutes, probably while the captain got a
> > hot cup of coffee, before tooting its horn and sailing towards Dewford.
> >
> > Jeff stared at the retreating view of Rustboro, wondering when next he'll get the
> > chance to see his brother, and what wicked cool moves he'll have.
> >
> > The young breeder in-training also made a note to see if there waxs a good
> > comic or anime store somewhere in Dewford. He needed something to read.
>
> Now some way into their voyage, everyone was enjoying the sea breeze,
> the soft calls of wingull and goldeen; and most of all, the calm and
> tranquility of a boat trip. Mawile leaned over the edge of the boat and
> peered into the clear water, and suddenly called out to his trainer in
> surprise.
>
> Ben strained his eyes to make out the dark shape, swimming towards the
> surface. "That's such a cute goldeen," Ben commented, "With huge,
> pointy...teeth!?" The trainer flew back as side of the boat was rammed,
> and most of the other travellers were knocked off their chairs.
>
> Having had the wind knocked out of him, Ben gasped, "What...was that?"

John stumbled over to the rail to look over into the water. "Okay," He
said nervously. "I realize I'm not entirely familiar with Hoenn
pokemon, but, uh, to me that looks like serious trouble." Right before
the unknown water pokemon rammed the side of the ship again.

Jeff joined them there, "Is it just me or is there more of them?"

> > [NS: *sarcastic* I'd hate to see something happen on that nice peaceful ferry ride
> >
> > ... *realizes that there's no subtlety in that last comment*]
>
> [How's that?]

[NS: Pointless, this post was, but at least John's in there now. I'd
add more, but I got class in like, ten minutes]
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 6:26:03 PM

> Nori shrugged it off even as she knelt down and hugged Magby with one arm,
> Big Time still tightly held in the other. "I did it more for ShadowWarrior than
> anything." Silently, she added, "Plus I don't think you'll hurt someone who
> just saved your pathetic hide."
>
> Alex smirked. "Still, I owe you."
>
> "<Alex, I think you had better dry off,>" Surtur advised as Ben helped Alex
> to her feet.
>
> "Right," Alex replied.

"So..."

Alex stopped and turned to Ben, who had again taken to staring into the
clear water.

"That was goldeen? I don't spend much time at sea, but i've never seen a
goldeen in this passage of water..."

"Maw, mawile ile mawile," Mawile added, "Ile maw maw-ile maw!"

"...Especially a huge one with large teeth, shiny white scales and a
killer instinct. From how it was ramming the boat, I thought it was a
Sharpedo," Ben concluded.

It was at that moment that the captain of the vessel spoke over a PA
system to inform the passengers that the boat was back on course to
Dewford, and it would not be long till they would be in sight of the island.

"You'd better hurry," Ben said, turning back to gaze into the clear
water, reflecting the bright, not-a-cloud sky.

[NS: This cruise is OVER. Almost.]
!