THEY CAN ACCESS MY HIDDEN DRIVES? - Local Policies and Sta..

Malcolm

I've been tasked with editing the local policies on a windows2000 machine to
lock it down for an Internet Cafe. I've managed to lock down the entire
system, only leaving certain shortcuts on the desktop. Start > programs
provides nothing and you cannot access/see any drives.

However when running Star Office 5.2, the so called locked down machine
allows users to browser through all directories and save/edit files. It only
seems to be limited to staroffice, no other application is giving me a
problem.

Make sure you have the policy enabled for prevent access to drives is
enabled and nor just "hide drives". You also need to be sure that users can
not get to a command prompt some how as they will be able to access drives
that way. Otherwise be sure ntfs permissions are not such that the kiosk
user has write/modify permissions anywhere on the computer. In a default
install excessive permissions may exist in the root.drive folder, the user
profile by default gives the user ownership and full control permissions to
the profile folders, and the all users profile allows users to write to
possibly application data and documents folders if you look in the security
page/advanced for special permissions for users. Of course the kiosk user
should only be a regular user. --- Steve

"Malcolm" <Malcolm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been tasked with editing the local policies on a windows2000 machine
> lock it down for an Internet Cafe. I've managed to lock down the entire
> system, only leaving certain shortcuts on the desktop. Start > programs
> provides nothing and you cannot access/see any drives.
>
> However when running Star Office 5.2, the so called locked down machine
> allows users to browser through all directories and save/edit files. It
> only
> seems to be limited to staroffice, no other application is giving me a
> problem.

SilverRenard

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I was curious if anyone knew if I used a registry key to hide a set of drives on one laptop, if another laptop might be affected by this.