DirecTV, HDTV and component question

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 26, 2004 5:59:00 PM

I ordered the HDTV package from Direct TV. I will be receiving a new HDTV
receiver. My question is this, my TV has the component inputs, but only one
set. I already have a DVD player hooked in there. I would want the Direct TV
receiver in there too.

So, does the DirectTV receiver have an extra component input that I could
run my DVD player through? Or do I need to search for a component video
switcher?

Thanks!
July 26, 2004 11:32:42 PM

"Dan J.S." <me@hyperx.com> wrote in message
> I ordered the HDTV package from Direct TV. I will be receiving a new HDTV
> receiver. My question is this, my TV has the component inputs, but only
one
> set. I already have a DVD player hooked in there. I would want the Direct
TV
> receiver in there too.
>
> So, does the DirectTV receiver have an extra component input that I could
> run my DVD player through? Or do I need to search for a component video
> switcher?

The receiver will not have a component input.

Pat
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 11:32:43 PM

Greywolf wrote:
> "Dan J.S." <me@hyperx.com> wrote in message
>> I ordered the HDTV package from Direct TV. I will be receiving a new
>> HDTV receiver. My question is this, my TV has the component inputs,
>> but only one set. I already have a DVD player hooked in there. I
>> would want the Direct TV receiver in there too.
>>
>> So, does the DirectTV receiver have an extra component input that I
>> could run my DVD player through? Or do I need to search for a
>> component video switcher?
>
> The receiver will not have a component input.
>
> Pat

Or use a receiver to do the switching. Even the $375 HK-AVR230 can
switch two component sources and give you all the bells-and-whistles for
a home theater.

--
David G.
July 27, 2004 12:40:11 AM

"Greywolf" <greywolfin45@*spamisbad*sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> "Dan J.S." <me@hyperx.com> wrote in message
> > I ordered the HDTV package from Direct TV. I will be receiving a new
> > HDTV receiver. My question is this, my TV has the component inputs, but
> > only
> one
> > set. I already have a DVD player hooked in there. I would want the
> > Direct
> TV
> > receiver in there too.
> >
> > So, does the DirectTV receiver have an extra component input that I
> > could run my DVD player through? Or do I need to search for a component
> > video switcher?
>
> The receiver will not have a component input.
>
> Pat

The Samsung TS360 does have a component input on the back.
It is one of the receivers that Directv is using.
Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 1:24:47 AM

"Dan J.S." <me@hyperx.com> wrote in

> I ordered the HDTV package from Direct TV. I will be receiving a new
> HDTV receiver. My question is this, my TV has the component inputs,
> but only one set. I already have a DVD player hooked in there. I would
> want the Direct TV receiver in there too.
>
> So, does the DirectTV receiver have an extra component input that I
> could run my DVD player through? Or do I need to search for a
> component video switcher?
>
> Thanks!

Your receiver will likely also have DVI and or RGB outputs as well.
Hopefully, your TV has one of these inputs also.

Dave
July 27, 2004 2:45:03 AM

<cjdaytonjr@cox.net> wrote in message
> "Greywolf" <greywolfin45@*spamisbad*sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > "Dan J.S." <me@hyperx.com> wrote in message
> > > I ordered the HDTV package from Direct TV. I will be receiving a new
> > > HDTV receiver. My question is this, my TV has the component inputs,
but
> > > only
> > one
> > > set. I already have a DVD player hooked in there. I would want the
> > > Direct
> > TV
> > > receiver in there too.
> > >
> > > So, does the DirectTV receiver have an extra component input that I
> > > could run my DVD player through? Or do I need to search for a
component
> > > video switcher?
> >
> > The receiver will not have a component input.
> >
> > Pat
>
> The Samsung TS360 does have a component input on the back.
> It is one of the receivers that Directv is using.
> Chip

That it does. Sorry. I thought I was more familiar with the genre than I
actually was. You can't be sure what receiver they'll send though.

Pat
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 12:10:01 PM

"Dave Solly" <none@where.com> wrote in message
> "Dan J.S." <me@hyperx.com> wrote in
>
> > I ordered the HDTV package from Direct TV. I will be receiving a new
> > HDTV receiver. My question is this, my TV has the component inputs,
> > but only one set. I already have a DVD player hooked in there. I would
> > want the Direct TV receiver in there too.
> >
> > So, does the DirectTV receiver have an extra component input that I
> > could run my DVD player through? Or do I need to search for a
> > component video switcher?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> Your receiver will likely also have DVI and or RGB outputs as well.
> Hopefully, your TV has one of these inputs also.
>
> Dave

Yes, actually a DVI input!! thanks! I always thought that the DVI was only
for computers, but I guess you learn something everyday! Thanks to all that
replied!!
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 11:27:56 AM

"Greywolf" <greywolfin45@*spamisbad*sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
: "Dan J.S." <me@hyperx.com> wrote in message
: news:10gal3fm8s4iue0@news.supernews.com...
: > I ordered the HDTV package from Direct TV. I will be receiving a new
HDTV
: > receiver. My question is this, my TV has the component inputs, but
only
: one
: > set. I already have a DVD player hooked in there. I would want the
Direct
: TV
: > receiver in there too.
: >
:
: The receiver will not have a component input.
:
: Pat
:
=====================
Actually, the Samsung TS360 DOES have component inputs on the back for
your DVD player.

I have not used them, but they are there........along with an S-Video
INPUT also.
=======================
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 2:34:49 PM

"Dan J.S." <me@hyperx.com> wrote in message
> I ordered the HDTV package from Direct TV. I will be receiving a new HDTV
> receiver. My question is this, my TV has the component inputs, but only
one
> set. I already have a DVD player hooked in there. I would want the Direct
TV
> receiver in there too.
>
> So, does the DirectTV receiver have an extra component input that I could
> run my DVD player through? Or do I need to search for a component video
> switcher?
>
> Thanks!

To follow up - the new Direct TV receiver has (as someone here mentioned)
component inputs. I am running my DVD player through this receiver and it
looks great!! I really like the detail of HDTV... amazing stuff!!
!