Sign in with
Your question

Need help OC Opteron 165

Last response: in Overclocking
February 16, 2007 5:43:14 PM

Hi guys, i need help overcloking my Opteron 165
I'm not a noob but i'm not a pro

One question i was wondering, i know that you need to adjust the memory timings higher to get a better overclock. I was wondering if i could just let the timings on AUTO and overclock as high as if i had the timings on manual ?

Also, if any of you ever had a high successfull OC opteron 165, to what GHZ did you OC it and at what Vcore ?

The higher i got it to run is from 1.8 ghz to 2.25 ghz with the base vcore of 1.35

Any advice ?

thanks

More about : opteron 165

February 16, 2007 6:18:00 PM

I've got an Opteron 165 overclocked to 2.75GHz on stock voltage. I would be surprised if you couldn't achieve at least 2.6GHz.

This guide will tell you what you need to know:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/a64oc...

Four basics:

1) You must reduce your HT multiplier. If you don't do that, you will be unwittingly hit a wall with your HT bus, not your processor
2) You must set a RAM divider. This sets your RAM to a lower speed than your FSB. If you don't do that, you will be hitting your RAM limits, not your processor
3) Your board may hit its FSB limit before your chip does (cos the 165 only has 9x multiplier). To test this set your chip, RAM, HT to very low levels and raise the FSB until it gets unstable.
4) Make sure your BIOS is the latest version - this made a big difference for me for the FSB limit.

Apologies if you know any of the above, and good luck - let us know how you do!
February 16, 2007 6:27:33 PM

Ya thanks for the advice, i already played with the memory timing, my FSB is currently at 250 mhz and i setted the memory at 5/6 which brings it down to 208 mhz (416 mhz)

I haven't tried to lower the HT though so that may be my limitation there ...

How should i determine how to set the HT vs the FSB of the CPU ?

Related resources
February 17, 2007 10:11:34 AM

This is a quote from that article I linked:

"As I mentioned before, the processor derives its internal clock speed by multiplying the HT bus speed with the processor multiplier. The LDT bus works in a similar fashion. The LDT bus multiplier multiplies the HT bus speed to achieve its final clock speed. By default, the HT bus speed is 200 MHz, and the multiplier (depending on the chipset you have) is either 4x or 5x, giving 800 MHz and 1000 MHz, respectively. The problem with the LDT bus is that it doesn't take too well to overclocking. On some motherboards, you may be able to get 10% out of it, and that's a maximum. On nForce 3 250Gb and nForce 4 chipsets, the highest I tend to see is about 1100 MHz. For this reason, it is important to turn down the multiplier when overclocking the HT bus."

So you're looking for something in your BIOS that is by default 5x or 4x (most boards are 5x but mine is 4x)
Let's say it's 5x by default - this means that your safe maximum for the HT bus is 1000MHz (5x200 FSB)
In this case, I would put the multiplier down to 3x, then find the maximum your FSB/chip can go, then try raising it to 4x to see if your HT bus can take it.
February 17, 2007 4:55:45 PM

I've managed to do a not too bad OC :twisted:

with my memory at those timings:

TRAS:6
TRCD: 4
TRP:3
TLC:3

FSB at 300 mhz, vcore at 1.45v i'm currently at 2.7 GHZ without problems :p 

thanks to all
February 19, 2007 2:11:14 PM

Congrats :trophy:

Nice to have a happy ending. OC is fun eh?
February 20, 2007 3:56:37 PM

hell ya :D  destroy the lag, TODAY !
!