Folder NTFS Permissions

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
November 30, 2004 4:25:11 PM

I have a user who keeps dragging and dropping whole directories to other
locations.

I need to set some kind of permissions to prevent this, but still allow them
to add, change and delete files.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Jim
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 1, 2004 1:53:43 AM

As long as they have the permission to create folders in the target
directory you can not prevent it. You could use special permissions to deny
the user or group for create folders/append data to only folders or folders
and subfolders in the "apply onto" box for special permissions. Users/groups
can be listed more than once in special permissions in the advanced page of
security page for folder properties, say once for folder, subfolder, and
files and once for folders and subfolder as an example with different
permissions for each. The link below explains special permissions more.
Though it is written for XP, almost all applies to W2K also. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419

!