Many Installations of MSSQLSERVER.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.security,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

G/day forum,

I've got a problem where all my Development users have full installations of
MSSQLServer. I want to disable this (for obvious security and financial
reasons) and allow SQL Server on a few dedicated (managed) Development SQL
servers.

This is what I'm thinking:
1) Active Directory - Group Policy Object. The problem is I cant find a
relevant template that incorporates the SQL Services.
2) Through Registry file modification of the Start value -
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSSQLSERVER.

Either way I'll be deploying the change through Group Policy, and ideally I
would have a template that incorporated the SQL service, that way I wouldn't
have to directly go tampering with any registry files..

Your ideas and/or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Steve.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.security,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

If you try using services control from GPO, to disable the
SQL services, what you will likely find is that developers
are resouceful and will just install a named instance of
SQL as the main service is named for the instance name.
You could cripple the other services which are not named
in an instance sensitive way, but SQL itself would escape
your net.

Also, whether setting the service to disabled through the
services portion of GPO or through direct tweaking of the
start key in the reg, this does not prevent them from installing
and running it. As they can install, they are apparently admins,
and as admins they can change the service to manual or auto
long enough to start it. When policy reapplies and sets it back
to disabled it does not necessarily also stop it. Now, you
may be able to combine setting the service to disabled with
software restriction policy so that they cannot start it, but if
you cannot be sure of the service instance name to disable it
then they could get it started by the system at boot.

To answer your actual question, I am not aware of a template
for use in GPO to manage SQL or its internal state.

So, what to do?
First - make sure you understand why the devs have SQL
installed. If your environment has legal VStudio on their
machines, it is very possible that they legally have the
dev version of SQL installed. Also, what are they working
on? Perhaps these are MSDE version of SQL and will ship
out packaged with what they are building.
It might be more simple to just force those machines to
have their patch level up-to-date. It might be better to
provide them with the client tools for SQL but require
them to use MSDE (which can be made to speak only
machine-locally and be unresponsive over the wire).
It would seem to me that the last thing one would want
to do is make their job harder. I can imagine a number
of dev scenarios in which forcing them to share a remote
SQL could complicate their lives, but then I am the one
with SQL server alway installed on the laptop ! On the
other hand, making use of a SQL server remote from the
apps they dev/test might be of value for the quality of
what they will ship. It may be worth exploring whether
this is so and you could find support in your objective
from their project mgmt, as with their being admins it
will be hard to make it so without also having cooperation.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
"The Poster" <nospam@nospam_dontyoudare.net> wrote in message
> G/day forum,
>
> I've got a problem where all my Development users have full installations
of
> MSSQLServer. I want to disable this (for obvious security and financial
> reasons) and allow SQL Server on a few dedicated (managed) Development SQL
> servers.
>
> This is what I'm thinking:
> 1) Active Directory - Group Policy Object. The problem is I cant find a
> relevant template that incorporates the SQL Services.
> 2) Through Registry file modification of the Start value -
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSSQLSERVER.
>
> Either way I'll be deploying the change through Group Policy, and ideally
> would have a template that incorporated the SQL service, that way I
wouldn't
> have to directly go tampering with any registry files..
>
> Your ideas and/or comments would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Steve.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.security,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

Thanks for your detailed post Roger.

Would you believe that I've got the DBA and Project Managers support on this
one? This motion is driven by the DBA group and the Project group so as far
as support is concerned I'm on a winner. Question: Do you think that Client
side 'full installations' of SQL Server are costly, dangerous (remember
slammer?), and system intensive? The bottom line is that I have to figure
out some way of disabling the MSSQLSERVER service and all named instances
(and in time remove it) - to facilitate compliance I will be conducting
regular SQLScan's, where non-compliance will be dealth with. I have made
provisions for Client Tools (Query Analyzer, Enterprise Manager, etc) on the
DEvelopers systems - I appreciate these are essential tools that are needed
to perform there day to day duties.

In the longer term, I'm planning on revoking Developers Admin level
priviledge on all systems. I've been reading alot of what Keith Brown has
been saying with regards to Security, and I (like our Software Architect)
have been converted to the Longhorn concept of Least Priviledged User
account - that is the most secure way to go. I can even use our own Chief
Software Architect as an example, he had his system rebuilt 6 months ago,
and since that day he has manged to do 99% of his development work as a
Standard user.

Regards,
Steve.

> [...]
> >
> > This is what I'm thinking:
> > 1) Active Directory - Group Policy Object. The problem is I cant find a
> > relevant template that incorporates the SQL Services.
> > 2) Through Registry file modification of the Start value -
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSSQLSERVER.
> >
> > Either way I'll be deploying the change through Group Policy, and
ideally
> > would have a template that incorporated the SQL service, that way I
> wouldn't
> > have to directly go tampering with any registry files..
> >
> > Your ideas and/or comments would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Steve.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.security,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

You can use Group Policy [for example, via Active Directory] to set
MSSQLSERVER service on Windows 2000, XP and 2003 systems to be disabled by
default. This is probably easier than using Group Policy Software
Restrictions Policy [though if they are local Administrators on their
computers, it might be less secure, I don't really know]. On a computer
running the MSSQLSERVER service, run MMC, add the Security Templates MMC,
create a new GP template where the only change is to the startup value of
the service and possibly the permissions of who can manage the service.
Save the template, apply the security template to the workstations in
question [e.g. use a batch file with the SECEDIT command to create a new
database and import and apply the template on each target workstation, OR
import the template into your active directory and apply that template to
target workstations by putting the workstations into an OU and/or
configuring ACL permissions on which workstations can read that GP. If you
use AD GP, be sure not to accidentally apply the policy to your legitimate
SQL servers.]

If these people's accounts are in the local Administrators or Power Users
group on the workstations, they can undo just about anything you do. Group
Policy will change their changes back, but I'm not sure this will stop the
SQL service once they start it. It's hard to prevent Administrators or
Power Users from doing what they want to do. There are some ways Power
Users can escalate their privileges to Administrator if they know how.

Unless something has changed in the latest version of MS SQL Server, SQL
Server cannot be installed on Windows workstations, only servers. AFAIK,
you can install MSDE on workstation, or if you install the SQL server CD, it
installs the SQL administrator tools and not the server itself.

"Karl Levinson, mvp" <levinson_k@despammed.com> wrote in message
> You can use Group Policy [for example, via Active Directory] to set
> MSSQLSERVER service on Windows 2000, XP and 2003 systems to be disabled by
> default. This is probably easier than using Group Policy Software
> Restrictions Policy [though if they are local Administrators on their
> computers, it might be less secure, I don't really know]. On a computer

We have pretty much beaten that avenue to death Karl.
The issue is that the registered name of the service is not
a predictable constant.

> running the MSSQLSERVER service, run MMC, add the Security Templates MMC,
> create a new GP template where the only change is to the startup value of
> the service and possibly the permissions of who can manage the service.
> Save the template, apply the security template to the workstations in
> question [e.g. use a batch file with the SECEDIT command to create a new
> database and import and apply the template on each target workstation, OR
> import the template into your active directory and apply that template to
> target workstations by putting the workstations into an OU and/or
> configuring ACL permissions on which workstations can read that GP. If
you
> use AD GP, be sure not to accidentally apply the policy to your legitimate
> SQL servers.]
>
> If these people's accounts are in the local Administrators or Power Users
> group on the workstations, they can undo just about anything you do.
Group
> Policy will change their changes back, but I'm not sure this will stop the
> SQL service once they start it. It's hard to prevent Administrators or
> Power Users from doing what they want to do. There are some ways Power
> Users can escalate their privileges to Administrator if they know how.
>
> Unless something has changed in the latest version of MS SQL Server, SQL
> Server cannot be installed on Windows workstations, only servers. AFAIK,
> you can install MSDE on workstation, or if you install the SQL server CD,
it
> installs the SQL administrator tools and not the server itself.

One may install either on non-servers.
The "personal" install of SQL Server on a workstation is
effectively a full standard edition install with some minor
imposed limitations and some licensing differences.