HDTV question

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 26, 2004 5:19:32 PM

I dont have a HDTV but I do want to set up my PC to get HDTV. I'm
looking at that ati hdtv card that you put in the PC. So my question
is, if you have lets say comcast coaxial cable or dish network
sattelite, can you plug it into your ati card in the PC and get a HDTV
signal? thanks

More about : hdtv question

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 12:31:39 AM

I just went through this myself. The short answer is NO.

While I am not familiar with the ATI HD cards, I am sure that there is no
card that can capture HD input. The best you can do is capture the Svideo
output from your receiver OR capture OTA hdtv using a tuner card (from an
antenna, not from a satellite). Some cable companies may broadcast HD
content unencrypted so that a tuner card can capture it, but I don't think
that is real common. I am guessing that with the new PCI express we may be
a little closer to HD capture, but we aren't there yet.

--Dan

"greymamba" <pocguy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 5f401de.0407261219.2a91aa5@posting.google.com...
> I dont have a HDTV but I do want to set up my PC to get HDTV. I'm
> looking at that ati hdtv card that you put in the PC. So my question
> is, if you have lets say comcast coaxial cable or dish network
> sattelite, can you plug it into your ati card in the PC and get a HDTV
> signal? thanks
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 2:17:20 AM

I am a newbie/lurker on this group and learning more every day.
It looks to me like someone at ATI doesn't know what HD means.
The cand is not HD from what I read.
They also don't know that there is no such thing as a HDTV antenna.

On 26 Jul 2004 13:19:32 -0700, pocguy@hotmail.com (greymamba) wrote:

>I dont have a HDTV but I do want to set up my PC to get HDTV. I'm
>looking at that ati hdtv card that you put in the PC. So my question
>is, if you have lets say comcast coaxial cable or dish network
>sattelite, can you plug it into your ati card in the PC and get a HDTV
>signal? thanks
July 27, 2004 8:04:46 AM

klaatu <blob@optonline.net> wrote in

> I am a newbie/lurker on this group and learning more every day.
> It looks to me like someone at ATI doesn't know what HD means.
> The cand is not HD from what I read.
> They also don't know that there is no such thing as a HDTV antenna.
>
> On 26 Jul 2004 13:19:32 -0700, pocguy@hotmail.com (greymamba) wrote:
>
>>I dont have a HDTV but I do want to set up my PC to get HDTV. I'm
>>looking at that ati hdtv card that you put in the PC. So my question
>>is, if you have lets say comcast coaxial cable or dish network
>>sattelite, can you plug it into your ati card in the PC and get a HDTV
>>signal? thanks

Their website specifically says that it will only display HDTV from its
own built-in ATSC tuner. In other words it will not work with cable or
satellite boxes. I would expect another product that comes with a DVI or
component input in the not-too-distant future, though.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

July 29, 2004 2:41:25 AM

dg (dan_gus@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> While I am not familiar with the ATI HD cards, I am sure that there is no
> card that can capture HD input.

There is at least one PCI card that can capture component video and re-
compress it on the fly, but the price starts at $2,000. No, I don't recall
the name at this time, but I've posted it before so it should be in Google.

--
Jeff Rife | "I'll be back in five or six days."
SPAM bait: |

I searched but couldn't find your post with that card info, but I would
really like to know about it. If you can find the post with google or
remember the card name, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
--Dan

> dg (dan_gus@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> > While I am not familiar with the ATI HD cards, I am sure that there is
no
> > card that can capture HD input.
>
> There is at least one PCI card that can capture component video and re-
> compress it on the fly, but the price starts at $2,000. No, I don't
recall
> the name at this time, but I've posted it before so it should be in
Google.

> --
> Jeff Rife | "I'll be back in five or six days."
> SPAM bait: |
> AskDOJ@usdoj.gov | "No, you'll be back in five or six pieces."
> uce@ftc.gov | -- "The Lost World"
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 3:18:23 AM

dg (dan_gus@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> I searched but couldn't find your post with that card info, but I would
> really like to know about it. If you can find the post with google or
> remember the card name, I would really appreciate it!

Oddly enough, I found the post on the first search:

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=MPG.1abdce68c5c8ca839...

--
Jeff Rife |
SPAM bait: | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/BabyBlues/TVDistance.gif

I checked that post, but it instructs me to search a TIVO forum for another
post of yours, which you have 437 of. Can you narrow it down at all?

Thanks,
--Dan

> dg (dan_gus@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> > I searched but couldn't find your post with that card info, but I would
> > really like to know about it. If you can find the post with google or
> > remember the card name, I would really appreciate it!
>
> Oddly enough, I found the post on the first search:

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=MPG.1abdce68c5c8ca839...

> --
> Jeff Rife |
> SPAM bait: | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/BabyBlues/TVDistance.gif
> AskDOJ@usdoj.gov |
> uce@ftc.gov |
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 8:52:17 AM

dg (dan_gus@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> I checked that post, but it instructs me to search a TIVO forum for another
> post of yours, which you have 437 of. Can you narrow it down at all?

Really, do I have to do *everything* for people?

Try searching there "component video input" and my username. This is how
*I* found it again...with just 3 thread results, one of which was the right
one.

You could also have Googled for "hd mpeg encoder pci" and gotten the final
page in the top 5.

Now that I have sufficient chastised you:

http://www.doremilabs.com/products/orca.htm

Note that this board doesn't accept component video directly, but there
are component video to SDI converters out there.

--
Jeff Rife |
SPAM bait: | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/Olympics.gif