My eject USB devices icon has disappeared from my System Tray -- How do I get it

Status
Not open for further replies.

leefrance

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
Hello, my "eject USB devices icon"
has "disappeared" from my Systems Tray--- How do I get it back. I am using a PC. Thankyou for your valuable time

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

I agree with Hawkeye, check to make sure it's just not hidden beside the left pointing or up pointing arrow in the system tray.
Also, remember that you have to have a removable device connected for it to show up. It's not needed if you don't have anything to 'remove safely'

jtowle2001

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011

Create a new shortcut on your desktop as follows:

%windir%\system32\RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

Name:
Safely Remove USB Device

Change Icon:
Look for Icons here:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll

About 4 clicks to the right is an icon with Green Upward Left Arrow (3rd row of icons) that I use and it

I use this when the system tray icon doesn't show up, also this has a bit more information about what is being ejected.

Jeff

jtowle2001

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011

For USB hard drives, the default is also quick removal.

Suggestion:

For USB hard disks, the user may want to enable write caching to improve perfornace. This setting also requires safe removal

Use the device manager Disk drives, while the drive is plugged in, and then properties, then click the policies tab.

If the drive is optiimized for quick removal no problem, but if it's optimized for performance safe removal is important.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS