Sign in with
Your question
Closed

My eject USB devices icon has disappeared from my System Tray -- How do I get it

Tags:
  • USB
  • Devices
  • Systems
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
July 13, 2011 9:25:16 PM

Hello, my "eject USB devices icon"
has "disappeared" from my Systems Tray--- How do I get it back. I am using a PC. Thankyou for your valuable time

More about : eject usb devices icon disappeared system tray

Best solution

July 18, 2011 2:30:23 PM

leefrance,

try to install "USB Safely Remove". It manages your USB devices and is a good replacement for the standard "Safely Remove Hardware" tool.
a c 238 $ Windows 7
July 18, 2011 5:26:37 PM

Are you sure it isn't hidden? If there is an arrow next to the system tray, click it to expand it.
Score
Related resources
July 18, 2011 6:30:17 PM

If you make sure that nothing is accessing your USB device. Windows open, music playing off the device, sending data back and forth, etc... You can unplug it without doing any kind of damage.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2011 2:45:07 PM

Hi there,

I agree with Hawkeye, check to make sure it's just not hidden beside the left pointing or up pointing arrow in the system tray.
Also, remember that you have to have a removable device connected for it to show up. It's not needed if you don't have anything to 'remove safely'
Score
a c 238 $ Windows 7
July 19, 2011 5:15:43 PM

Also, most usb flash drives are marked optimize for quick removal so there is no need to safely remove device as long as you aren't reading/writing to it at the time of removal.
Score
July 26, 2011 6:25:43 AM

Best answer selected by leefrance.
Score
October 5, 2011 5:11:55 PM

leefrance said:
Hello, my "eject USB devices icon"
has "disappeared" from my Systems Tray--- How do I get it back. I am using a PC. Thankyou for your valuable time

Create a new shortcut on your desktop as follows:

%windir%\system32\RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

Name:
Safely Remove USB Device

Change Icon:
Look for Icons here:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll

About 4 clicks to the right is an icon with Green Upward Left Arrow (3rd row of icons) that I use and it

I use this when the system tray icon doesn't show up, also this has a bit more information about what is being ejected.

Jeff
Score
October 5, 2011 5:16:51 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Also, most usb flash drives are marked optimize for quick removal so there is no need to safely remove device as long as you aren't reading/writing to it at the time of removal.

For USB hard drives, the default is also quick removal.

Suggestion:

For USB hard disks, the user may want to enable write caching to improve perfornace. This setting also requires safe removal

Use the device manager Disk drives, while the drive is plugged in, and then properties, then click the policies tab.

If the drive is optiimized for quick removal no problem, but if it's optimized for performance safe removal is important.

Jeff
Score
a c 425 $ Windows 7
October 5, 2011 7:35:09 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!