Remote Desktop Connection - Secure???

I have hear it both ways that RDC to a server or WS is encypted and not.
So which is it?
If it's not how can I make it secure.
Mostly concerned about Win 2003 & 2000 servers & XP.
Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop connection secure

    Hi,

    By default, Windows XP Remote Desktop and Windows Server 2003 Remote Desktop
    and Terminal Services use high (128-bit) encryption to encrypt most data
    transmissions in both the client-to-server direction and the
    server-to-client direction. When you install the 128-bit High Encryption
    pack and use high encryption on a Windows 2000 Terminal Services computer,
    high (128-bit) encryption is used to encrypt most data transmissions in both
    the client-to-server direction and the server-to-client direction.

    For more information:
    High Encryption on a Remote Desktop or Terminal Services Session Does Not
    Encrypt All Information
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;275727&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

    Understanding the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q186607

    I hope this helps,

    Mike

    "support the supporter" <support the supporter@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:5CD935E8-3E4A-43F6-A728-76264CE2F6BF@microsoft.com...
    >I have hear it both ways that RDC to a server or WS is encypted and not.
    > So which is it?
    > If it's not how can I make it secure.
    > Mostly concerned about Win 2003 & 2000 servers & XP.
    > Thanks

    circa Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:09:02 -0800, in
    microsoft.public.win2000.security, =?Utf-8?B?
    c3VwcG9ydCB0aGUgc3VwcG9ydGVy?= <support the
    supporter@discussions.microsoft.com> (=?Utf-8?B?
    c3VwcG9ydCB0aGUgc3VwcG9ydGVy?= <support the
    supporter@discussions.microsoft.com>) said,
    > I have hear it both ways that RDC to a server or WS is encypted and not.
    > So which is it?

    It is encrypted.

    Laura
    -Oscar Wilde

    circa Fri, 3 Dec 2004 18:21:56 +0100, in
    microsoft.public.win2000.security, Miha Pihler (mihap-
    news@atlantis.si) said,
    > When you install the 128-bit High Encryption
    > pack and use high encryption on a Windows 2000 Terminal Services computer,
    > high (128-bit) encryption is used to encrypt most data transmissions in both
    > the client-to-server direction and the server-to-client direction.

    Service pack 2 or above automatically raises encryption in 2000 to
    128-bit, as well.

    Laura
    -Oscar Wilde

    It is encrypted by default. To further secure you can use ipsec filtering
    [block and permit filter actions] to restrict which computers a computer can
    accept port 3389 TCP from by IP address and be sure to enforce complex
    passwords for the users. --- Steve

    "support the supporter" <support the supporter@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:5CD935E8-3E4A-43F6-A728-76264CE2F6BF@microsoft.com...
    >I have hear it both ways that RDC to a server or WS is encypted and not.
    > So which is it?
    > If it's not how can I make it secure.
    > Mostly concerned about Win 2003 & 2000 servers & XP.
    > Thanks

Remote Desktop Connection Servers Windows