Folder security by GPO

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

I want that a folder in a computer be accesible only for the local
administrators of each computer.
I tried with Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings
/ File System but I can not add the local admin group of each computer. I
can only setup my local admin group
Any idea?
thanks

Administrators group is a built in group on all computers. You should have
that as a choice when you configure the permissions? --- Steve

"HenRy" <ask@me.com> wrote in message
>I want that a folder in a computer be accesible only for the local
>administrators of each computer.
> I tried with Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security
> Settings / File System but I can not add the local admin group of each
> computer. I can only setup my local admin group
> Any idea?
> thanks

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

Yes, but MY local admin appears and what I want is that the local admin of
each computer has access to a folder (not MY local admin group)
in each computer
thanks

> Administrators group is a built in group on all computers. You should have
> that as a choice when you configure the permissions? --- Steve
>

> "HenRy" <ask@me.com> wrote in message
>>I want that a folder in a computer be accesible only for the local
>>administrators of each computer.
>> I tried with Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security
>> Settings / File System but I can not add the local admin group of each
>> computer. I can only setup my local admin group
>> Any idea?
>> thanks

Were you able to select "administrator" as the user to give permissions to?
That should be an option instead of administrarors. --- Steve

> Yes, but MY local admin appears and what I want is that the local admin of
> each computer has access to a folder (not MY local admin group)
> in each computer
> thanks
>
> "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Administrators group is a built in group on all computers. You should
>> have that as a choice when you configure the permissions? --- Steve
>>

>> "HenRy" <ask@me.com> wrote in message
>>>I want that a folder in a computer be accesible only for the local
>>>administrators of each computer.
>>> I tried with Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security
>>> Settings / File System but I can not add the local admin group of each
>>> computer. I can only setup my local admin group
>>> Any idea?
>>> thanks

I am having the same issue. What we are trying to do is set up a generic
file system security through Group Policy in the Computer Config - Windows
Settings - Security Settings - File System. Say I want to grant the local
Admins group, of every computer that receives that policy, full access to the
C drive. When I try and add permissions in GP, it only lets me add the
administrators group for the machine I am currently working on.

The question is, is there a way to generically say "grant the local
administrators group full access to the C drive" and have it apply across the
board to all workstations receiving the policy?

Another visual. I want to set a policy such that Server A gets the policy
and grants Server A's local admin group full access to a particular file on
Server A and Server B grants Server B's local admin group full access to the
same file located on Server B, Server C to Server C's local admin group, etc

I still don't know if that makes sense, but thats the best I can manage.

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

> Were you able to select "administrator" as the user to give permissions to?
> That should be an option instead of administrarors. --- Steve
>

> "HenRy" <ask@me.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, but MY local admin appears and what I want is that the local admin of
> > each computer has access to a folder (not MY local admin group)
> > in each computer
> > thanks
> >
> > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> Administrators group is a built in group on all computers. You should
> >> have that as a choice when you configure the permissions? --- Steve
> >>

> >> "HenRy" <ask@me.com> wrote in message

I see what you mean. If file system does not work then you could use a Group
Policy computer startup script using cacls to assign permissions for the
administrators group to folders/files. Startup scripts run in system context
unlike logon scripts. If you try such be SURE to test on a computer first to
make sure you have the syntax correct for cacls. For instance use the /E
switch to add administrators to existing permissions. Cacls has the benefit
of being built in to the OS. For more power and flexibility you may want to
use fileacls, but it will need to be copied to the computers you want to
modify permissions on first first. --- Steve

http://www.ss64.com/nt/cacls.html -- note info on the yes prompt and how to
configure for such.
http://www.gbordier.com/gbtools/fileacl.htm -- fileacl can also do
inheritance modifications and ownership