Sign in with
Your question

Penryn vs. Conroe on Desktops?

Last response: in CPUs
February 16, 2007 7:45:39 PM

Ok, I thought I had it all figured out... I was going to wait till April and snag a Q6600 (when prices drop).

Now people are talking about this Penryn thing coming out. At first I thought it was a chipset for mobile computers, but now I guess this is a major overhaul that may not be compatible with current boards.

Help me out here folks, how seemless would the transition from Conroe to Penryn be for the consumer?

Also, since Quad won't be fully utilized by apps right now... should I go ultra cheap C2D (4300) and just wait till Penryn comes out for Quad?

Finally, what's the timing of the launch of Penryn? I assume I'd have to wait 1-2 quarters afterwards to get a reasonable price on the new chip.

Dang, just when I thought I had my system figured out! :roll:

At some point, I guess you just have to jump into the waters.

More about : penryn conroe desktops

February 16, 2007 7:55:14 PM

I'm waiting. Getting a DualxQuad. Might have to go 771, but that's the price to pay. Looks like August may be the first shipments but that's way up in the air right now. As for seamless transition, it will be on 775 and 771 and I trust 975 chipset should handle it. However, I'm reserving the right to jump to K10-QFX if it's out in time and the price/performance ratio beats Intel.
February 16, 2007 8:07:00 PM

For Penryn's release, I keep hearing 2nd half of 2007. I'm purely guessing here, but if it's not out in time for the back to school season, I don't expect it till mid fall as they wouldn't want to reduce that busy time for computer sales. Personally, I'm willing to wait for the 4/22 price cuts, but not another 6 months after that for an unknown product coming out, even if the technology sounds real promising.
Related resources
February 16, 2007 8:11:36 PM

Quote:
For Penryn's release, I keep hearing 2nd half of 2007. I'm purely guessing here, but if it's not out in time for the back to school season, I don't expect it till mid fall as they wouldn't want to reduce that busy time for computer sales. Personally, I'm willing to wait for the 4/22 price cuts, but not another 6 months after that for an unknown product coming out, even if the technology sounds real promising.

Yeah, but think what QX6700 will be selling for on Penryn's launch day! It might be worth waiting just for that! :D 
February 16, 2007 8:12:19 PM

Edit: Accidental double post. I'm a moron. Thank you. :oops: 
February 16, 2007 8:24:15 PM

the Penryn was pushed back to the first half of 08 if i do recall

as for upgrading ill be doing it in April/March since that is the estimated date for ATis R600 (now X2900XTX) and hey if Quads are getting a price cut i may wait till 22nd (Happy Bday to me Indeed :D )

with computer technology there will always be something better the what u have coming out no matter what, its just a matter of decididng wahts better and for the most april i believe all Penryn is, is a die shrink of Conroe with an small added features.
February 16, 2007 8:25:37 PM

Change your avatar, dude. Every time I see that, I figure Baron is coming in to blast somebody! :( 
February 16, 2007 8:33:54 PM

eh i will i jsut need to shrink 1 down or get something to work its all not ..working :( 

makes me sad....like......something :\
February 16, 2007 8:35:06 PM

Just go to your Profile and you should be able to change it. If not, try dropping a line to the Mods.
February 16, 2007 8:43:38 PM

its 2 big and it dosnt auto size and i dont have Photoshop on this laptop...so i have to shrink it with Paint (i got skills) and then host it on my comcast account

annnd im to lazy....but i got nothing better to do while i encode this file so meh..ill do et

edit ahh poopie pant makes it all look distorted and crappy lookin...ill figure it out..
February 16, 2007 9:52:11 PM

Quote:

Yes, Penryn has been delayed until Q1 2008. It's a shame really I was hoping for it to come out in Q4 2007.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Intel-039-s-45nm-Lineup-...

Yeah, I had a feeling not to wait for Penryn. In typical Intel fashion, they won't really deliver the goods until they're pushed by some competition, and they're winning a one pony race right now it seems with the current C2D.
February 17, 2007 7:43:24 AM

Quote:
Read carefully, the two processors slated for introduction in Q1 2008 are Wolfdale and Yorksfield, Penryn is not mentioned... regardless, a few days later the Inq published a second rumor http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37334

Intel is on record that the official launch of Penryn is in 2H 2007, there has been no press release or Intel roadmap published that has stated otherwise.

Penryn taped out in Q4 06 and typical 9 mon to 1 year from tape out to shelf is normal --- so I am fairly certain we will see 45 nm CPUs from Intel before the year is out, if I were guessing mid Q3 to mid Q4 timeframe, more Mid Q4 is likely.

Come on, Jack! You're taking the word of Intel insiders over the Inq? Give those Pulitzer-Prize winning journalists some respect! :twisted:
February 17, 2007 12:51:11 PM

It looks like the design is in awesome shape for Penryn -

Hey they have quadcores booting at 2.16 ghz and runnibg video editing software - so the design is darn close to good to go.

The question is the sheer logistics of the fabs being switched over.

The release the first 65 nanos on DEcember 27th, 2005, so the "drop dead" date for Intels self proclaimed "tick / tock" is December 27th, 2007 for 45 nanometers.

We will see 45 nano silicon this year, the question is the volumn, not the actual launch .
February 17, 2007 1:54:20 PM

Quote:

as for upgrading ill be doing it in April/March since that is the estimated date for ATis R600 (now X2900XTX) and hey if Quads are getting a price cut i may wait till 22nd (Happy Bday to me Indeed :D )

with computer technology there will always be something better the what u have coming out no matter what, its just a matter of decididng wahts better and for the most april i believe all Penryn is, is a die shrink of Conroe with an small added features.

Because high-k metal gates is a small feature... :roll:

The boards that look to support Penryn seem to be the 680i series of boards and some revised PCB P965 boards (like the Gigabyte Generation 2.0 revision). I think the 975X chipset has reached its limit, unless Intel (or another manufacturer) plans to make another revision like a BadAxe3. Then again, Penryn may be compatible with all current motherboards.
February 17, 2007 2:34:10 PM

hey, same dilemma for me. I was torn between e6600 and q6600.

e6600 is in the sweet spot regards price and overclock availability.

In the UK it can be had for about £160+VAT.

Q6600 is £444 + VAT so that's a huge leap, considering games performance will be the same as will most apps apart from the likes of 3D programs and video editing suites which I happen to use.

to me, £280 more for a cpu I won't get full benefit of makes no sense. not right now anyway.

now come april, Q6600 is projected otbe $530 dollars which even worst case scales out to about £280-300. much better. BUT, we still ain't got apps that can use it at this point.

by the time penryn comes out, then I think we will see apps that will be more multi core aimed, at that point Q6600 will be even cheaper as would QX6700 so I'm thinking E6600 now, quad core later in the year.
February 17, 2007 3:26:07 PM

Quote:
you have two options, and I want a quick decision on this, it can turn into a flame war very quickly, you can either get an x2 3600 with a nice am2 board (try the asus crosshair, I love mine) and wait until k8l releases with the cpus that supposedly will leave conroe in the dust as much as conroe spanked am2. Or you could buy a 4300 with a ds3 (excellent learners board there) when the 4300 inflation disappears and get a penryn. The barcelona quads are going to spank your q6600 in every possible way, but you could get a penryn that performs as well and possibly runs cooler and overclocks higher for probably less due to 45nm tech, so decide on this quickly before a flame war starts, and then we'll work our way through there

And capt, any more info on Anna?

Honestly, I am not that optimistic about K8L.... it has been thrown around for far too long. I think it will top Conroe by 8-10% and Intel will quickly take back the crown with Penryn.

That is just my 2 cents and its a pure guess lol.
February 17, 2007 4:12:07 PM

Quote:
Change your avatar, dude. Every time I see that, I figure Baron is coming in to blast somebody! :( 

true , true :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
February 17, 2007 4:23:51 PM

Quote:
We can only wait to find out on how k8l will truly perform, I just wish amd would release some benchmarks already, as when intel developed conroe, they had benchmarks out almost half a year before the launch, and that proved to everyone that conroe was a killer, but at this rate, amd is telling people they have another qfx on their hands, but still, you can't criticize something until you've seen it's true potential, I am not guaranteeing that k8l will create unseen performance (unless they manage to overclock over 3ghz finally :oops:  ), but that we can't judge something before it's out

I agree. However, every day AMD doesn't give us anything creates another day of higher expectations. Grrr..... lol.
February 17, 2007 5:22:51 PM

They could be avoiding the Osborne effect. Then again, word on the low is that its 20% better than Conroe. Anyone that says a blanket 70% can't do basic math. If its 70% better than Conroe, and Conroe is 20 - 30% better than K8, that means AMD improved on their arch by at least 80 - 90%. Not impossible, but highly improbable.
February 17, 2007 7:35:53 PM

Quote:
They could be avoiding the Osborne effect. Then again, word on the low is that its 20% better than Conroe. Anyone that says a blanket 70% can't do basic math. If its 70% better than Conroe, and Conroe is 20 - 30% better than K8, that means AMD improved on their arch by at least 80 - 90%. Not impossible, but highly improbable.

The question then becomes how high will it OC, because if it is 20% faster stock but OC's 20% less than Conroe it will probably be a push. My personal expectation is about 10 (maybe 15% if AMD pulls off something crazy) over the X6800 but will max out around 3.3GHz leaving the OC crowd very content with their purchases of the E4300 and other other nice OC'ers. Again the point is we don't know... unless Ninja is holding back :wink:
February 17, 2007 7:42:29 PM

The people that really know, and have ES chips are being damn quiet about it. They have the NDA to worry about. Even giving a hint of the performance puts their asses on the line. When I know, DaClan members will be the first to be informed. From there, how you two and the rest distribute the info is up to you.
February 17, 2007 7:57:47 PM

Nope. No ES for Ninja. I'm too prone to break the NDA. But you can be damn sure that I want one...
February 17, 2007 8:09:43 PM

You know? :mrgreen:
February 17, 2007 11:05:11 PM

Quote:
duh, you told me about your n1nj4 w00t 1337 09503-458x 8O :D 

Such proper English........ lol.

Yeah, I know NDA's are typical and strict, but usually something leaks.... 8O

Keep us informed ninja.
February 18, 2007 12:31:31 AM

The A1 stepping is almost finished. Then you get your benchies.
February 18, 2007 12:42:04 AM

Because if AMD found out, that would kill any chances of him ever getting another ES sample, and put him in legal trouble. And AMD is even more secretive with ES's than Intel ever is.
February 18, 2007 4:23:43 AM

Quote:
Then I guess for his sake, we better not push him

Agreed.....
February 18, 2007 6:52:23 AM

hey im confused can u help me out
see im from south africa
and currently we only have core 2duo E6300 onwards available
so tell me wats this penron thing now?
and wat processors are after this core 2 duo cos u guys get the new technology first
thanks
and how good are the e4300 is it a new procesor or different from e6300
February 18, 2007 2:50:40 PM

Quote:
The boards that look to support Penryn seem to be the 680i series of boards and some revised PCB P965 boards (like the Gigabyte Generation 2.0 revision). I think the 975X chipset has reached its limit, unless Intel (or another manufacturer) plans to make another revision like a BadAxe3. Then again, Penryn may be compatible with all current motherboards.

how can someone say 975x chipsets probably won't do the penryn but 965 will? you are aware that 975 chips came out to run the new conroe chips and some 965 boards had to have a bios revision to do so?

ie 975 chipsets are more recent than 965. ie will probably do penryn whereas 965 won't you got your wires crossed my friend.

*EDIT*

my apologies, I stand corrected. still shows you can learn something new every day.
February 18, 2007 3:13:37 PM

Your facts are screwed. 975X is the older chipset.
February 18, 2007 3:58:53 PM

that being the case, what M/B would you recommend for a E6600 chip mouting 8500 1066 OCZ memory, a BFG 8800 GTX and OCZ 700W gamestream PSU?
February 18, 2007 4:28:12 PM

can't afford the 8500 dominator memory, the OCZ has hit a really sweet price and apparently has D9 micron chips in it so that looks okay to me. 5-5-5-15 timings but apparently it will go higher than that easily.

the RD600 I see has mixed reviews and I've never overclocked before so that's a no for me.

a P&C PSU? not heard of P&C before. an OCZ gamestream gets good write ups so I'll stick with that, its in my price bracket and gets good comments on the 'list' in the PSU section of the forum.

the gigabyte DQ6 is looking quite tasty, someone else has PM'd me and recommended the Asus Commando as well but the DQ6 has a parallel port which I need, but the commando has 4 PCI slots.

how do they compare to each other?
February 18, 2007 4:32:05 PM

Quote:
and I know someone with the rd600, but I wouldn't get the rd unless you have a lot of experience with overclocking

Doesn't 3elf have one? I know he and I were salivating over it 8O
February 18, 2007 5:20:37 PM

Quote:
yeah he does, and it is by far one of the best made boards with the best made bioses in the world, but it can be a nightmare if you don't know how to use the settings properly

Word up.

I went from Dell prebuilt PC to a DFI N4 LP UT SLI, I can't even begin to describe my confusion once I entered the BIOS. It was an ungodly nightmare. So I read a 75pg document that broke out and explained each setting... time well spent. Now, I stick with DFI. Still don't' understand 30-35% of the settings.... but thats down from 95% lol. 8O
February 18, 2007 5:48:46 PM

sorry but which is the best motherboard in the world that was just refered to above
February 18, 2007 6:24:34 PM

if you had to choose between

Gigabyte 965 DQ6
Asus Commando

and price was no issue

(Here in the UK price wise there is about £10 (about $18 between them) the asus being the slightly higher priced board.)

which would you choose?

with rev 3.3 of the DQ6, both boards have Quad core support. I know the DQ6 has been around longer so is more proven but ASus have always had a good reputation + their BIOS is usually very good.
February 19, 2007 7:56:07 AM

Quote:

JK, I would hate to be confused as a "CUTESEXYGUY" but there are days when I you make me want to have a sex change operation so I could have your babies...

Er... only metaphorically, of course... Ahem... :oops:  :lol: 
February 19, 2007 8:41:41 AM

Quote:

JK, I would hate to be confused as a "CUTESEXYGUY" but there are days when I you make me want to have a sex change operation so I could have your babies...

Er... only metaphorically, of course... Ahem... :oops:  :lol: And so...the closet door swings open. :D 
February 19, 2007 8:42:53 AM

Quote:

Er... only metaphorically, of course... Ahem... :oops:  :lol: And so...the closet door swings open. :D 

Only for JK, don't get your Canuck hopes up! :lol: 
!