cannot create new certificate template to issue

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
December 5, 2004 1:25:02 PM

i'm running server 2003, my own root CA, logged on as domain admin. in the
certificate templates management MMC i create a duplicate certificate, on the
general tab i checked to publish in AD,on the request handling tab i checked
archive private key, allow key to be exported, and enroll without user input,
on subject name tab- build from AD, use common name, and include e-mail
address, on security tab i allowed authenticated users read,enroll, and
autoenroll. back in template manager cert shows up as autoenroll is allowed.
but when i go back to the CA MMC and go to new certificate template to issue,
the new template doesn't show up. the CA computer did get a new cert to allow
for private key recovery. i have waited a day for AD to replicate even though
this is a single site domain.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 5, 2004 1:29:58 PM

are you running windows server 2003 enterprise edition on the CA?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/p...

Windows Server 2003 certificate templates whitepaper:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...

--
David B. Cross [MS]

Top Whitepapers:

Auto-enrollment whitepaper:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...
Best Practices for implementing Windows Server 2003 PKI:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...
Troubleshooting Certificate Status and Revocation whitepaper:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/topics/crypto...
Windows Server 2003 web enrollment and troubleshooting guide:

"bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i'm running server 2003, my own root CA, logged on as domain admin. in the
> certificate templates management MMC i create a duplicate certificate, on
> the
> general tab i checked to publish in AD,on the request handling tab i
> checked
> archive private key, allow key to be exported, and enroll without user
> input,
> on subject name tab- build from AD, use common name, and include e-mail
> address, on security tab i allowed authenticated users read,enroll, and
> autoenroll. back in template manager cert shows up as autoenroll is
> allowed.
> but when i go back to the CA MMC and go to new certificate template to
> issue,
> the new template doesn't show up. the CA computer did get a new cert to
> allow
> for private key recovery. i have waited a day for AD to replicate even
> though
> this is a single site domain.
December 5, 2004 7:55:07 PM

yes, thats correct

"David Cross [MS]" wrote:

> are you running windows server 2003 enterprise edition on the CA?
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/p...
>

> Windows Server 2003 certificate templates whitepaper:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...
>

> --
> David B. Cross [MS]
>
> Top Whitepapers:
>
> Auto-enrollment whitepaper:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...
> Best Practices for implementing Windows Server 2003 PKI:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...
> Troubleshooting Certificate Status and Revocation whitepaper:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/topics/crypto...
> Windows Server 2003 web enrollment and troubleshooting guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...
> Windows Server 2003 web enrollment and troubleshooting guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...
>
> "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > i'm running server 2003, my own root CA, logged on as domain admin. in the
> > certificate templates management MMC i create a duplicate certificate, on
> > the
> > general tab i checked to publish in AD,on the request handling tab i
> > checked
> > archive private key, allow key to be exported, and enroll without user
> > input,
> > on subject name tab- build from AD, use common name, and include e-mail
> > address, on security tab i allowed authenticated users read,enroll, and
> > autoenroll. back in template manager cert shows up as autoenroll is
> > allowed.
> > but when i go back to the CA MMC and go to new certificate template to
> > issue,
> > the new template doesn't show up. the CA computer did get a new cert to
> > allow
> > for private key recovery. i have waited a day for AD to replicate even
> > though
> > this is a single site domain.

Related resources
December 5, 2004 8:05:04 PM

scratch that, i just realized that the CA computer is 2003 standard. i'm in
the process of re configuring the entire domain anyway ( not much faith in
the whole domain rename with exchange process) so will i be ok using this
2003 standard edition as an offline standalone root and the subordinate CA on
enterprise edition?

"David Cross [MS]" wrote:

> are you running windows server 2003 enterprise edition on the CA?
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/p...
>

> Windows Server 2003 certificate templates whitepaper:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...
>

> --
> David B. Cross [MS]
>
> Top Whitepapers:
>
> Auto-enrollment whitepaper:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...
> Best Practices for implementing Windows Server 2003 PKI:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...
> Troubleshooting Certificate Status and Revocation whitepaper:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/topics/crypto...
> Windows Server 2003 web enrollment and troubleshooting guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...
> Windows Server 2003 web enrollment and troubleshooting guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...
>
> "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > i'm running server 2003, my own root CA, logged on as domain admin. in the
> > certificate templates management MMC i create a duplicate certificate, on
> > the
> > general tab i checked to publish in AD,on the request handling tab i
> > checked
> > archive private key, allow key to be exported, and enroll without user
> > input,
> > on subject name tab- build from AD, use common name, and include e-mail
> > address, on security tab i allowed authenticated users read,enroll, and
> > autoenroll. back in template manager cert shows up as autoenroll is
> > allowed.
> > but when i go back to the CA MMC and go to new certificate template to
> > issue,
> > the new template doesn't show up. the CA computer did get a new cert to
> > allow
> > for private key recovery. i have waited a day for AD to replicate even
> > though
> > this is a single site domain.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 6, 2004 12:18:09 AM

circa Sun, 5 Dec 2004 17:05:04 -0800, in
microsoft.public.win2000.security, =?Utf-8?B?YmlsbA==?=
(bill@discussions.microsoft.com) said,

> scratch that, i just realized that the CA computer is 2003 standard. i'm in
> the process of re configuring the entire domain anyway ( not much faith in
> the whole domain rename with exchange process)

Unless something has changed since I last checked, you can't have
enterprise CAs installed on DCs while you're doing a domain rename.
Will this affect your strategy?

> so will i be ok using this
> 2003 standard edition as an offline standalone root and the subordinate CA on
> enterprise edition?

Yes, that will work.

Laura

-Oscar Wilde
December 6, 2004 12:18:10 AM

thank you to you and dave, i'm one exam from my mcse on 2003 and i had never
heard of the restriction on version 2 templates. i tried a domain rename in a
test lab and i was disheartened by the results, so i now have 2 domains and i
will be migrating my users instead of renaming the old domain. then i will
scrap the old CA and make it the standalone root, then configure one of my
DC's to be the issuing CA. I'm currently an ASE certified master auto
technician and i think i will be the only ASE certified and MCSE in the
country??

!