Renaming the local Administrator and the RC

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
December 6, 2004 5:50:49 PM

Hi all,

Our domain policy has been setup to rename the administrator accounts on
client machines when they hookup to the domain. If you rename the local
administrator account, does this stop you from using the recovery console or
not?

Cheers,

Tristan
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 6, 2004 5:50:50 PM

No, this does not prevent the account from being used,
but of course one must know the name and password.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
"Tristan Leask" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Our domain policy has been setup to rename the administrator accounts on
> client machines when they hookup to the domain. If you rename the local
> administrator account, does this stop you from using the recovery console
or
> not?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tristan

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 6, 2004 6:25:55 PM

Thanks god for that. With the Recovery Console, is there a way to use a UK
keyboard layout as the pasword contains GBP sign. They didn't think of
adding international support until XP!!!

Tristan

> No, this does not prevent the account from being used,
> but of course one must know the name and password.
>
> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> "Tristan Leask" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Our domain policy has been setup to rename the administrator accounts on
> > client machines when they hookup to the domain. If you rename the local
> > administrator account, does this stop you from using the recovery
console
> or
> > not?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Tristan

a b 8 Security
December 6, 2004 8:39:33 PM

> Thanks god for that. With the Recovery Console, is there a way to use a
UK
> keyboard layout as the pasword contains GBP sign. They didn't think of
> adding international support until XP!!!
>

> Tristan

No idea Tristan.
You perhaps should just test, and if needed post
a new thread with issue clearly in its subject as
we do have a number of MVPs from UK in here.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA

> "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
> > No, this does not prevent the account from being used,
> > but of course one must know the name and password.
> >
> > --
> > Roger Abell
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> > "Tristan Leask" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Our domain policy has been setup to rename the administrator accounts
on
> > > client machines when they hookup to the domain. If you rename the
local
> > > administrator account, does this stop you from using the recovery
> console
> > or
> > > not?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Tristan

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 4, 2005 12:24:37 AM

Roger Abell wrote:

> "Tristan Leask" <no@no.com> wrote in message
>
>>Thanks god for that. With the Recovery Console, is there a way to use a
>
> UK
>
>>keyboard layout as the pasword contains GBP sign. They didn't think of
>>adding international support until XP!!!
>>

>>Tristan

An alternative thought on this. Could you use the keyboard value for GBP
sign instead, i.e. key in password using Alt + nnn where nnn is the key value?

AlanD
!