Renaming the local Administrator and the RC

Hi all,

Our domain policy has been setup to rename the administrator accounts on
client machines when they hookup to the domain. If you rename the local
administrator account, does this stop you from using the recovery console or
not?

Cheers,

Tristan
4 answers Last reply
More about renaming local administrator

    No, this does not prevent the account from being used,
    but of course one must know the name and password.

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    "Tristan Leask" <no@no.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Our domain policy has been setup to rename the administrator accounts on
    > client machines when they hookup to the domain. If you rename the local
    > administrator account, does this stop you from using the recovery console
    or
    > not?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Tristan

    Thanks god for that. With the Recovery Console, is there a way to use a UK
    keyboard layout as the pasword contains GBP sign. They didn't think of
    adding international support until XP!!!

    Tristan

    > Thanks god for that. With the Recovery Console, is there a way to use a
    UK
    > keyboard layout as the pasword contains GBP sign. They didn't think of
    > adding international support until XP!!!
    >

    > Tristan

    No idea Tristan.
    You perhaps should just test, and if needed post
    a new thread with issue clearly in its subject as
    we do have a number of MVPs from UK in here.

    --

    Roger Abell wrote:

    > "Tristan Leask" <no@no.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Thanks god for that. With the Recovery Console, is there a way to use a
    >
    > UK
    >
    >>keyboard layout as the pasword contains GBP sign. They didn't think of
    >>adding international support until XP!!!
    >>

    >>Tristan

    An alternative thought on this. Could you use the keyboard value for GBP
    sign instead, i.e. key in password using Alt + nnn where nnn is the key value?

    AlanD

Policy Security Domain Recovery Console Microsoft Windows