MS04-40 not listed as applicable update on Windows Update

I usually deploy software updates at my company using SMS 2003. My SMS server
hadn't picked up MS04-40 as an installable update yet which I thought was odd
because I have it set to check for updates everyday. I had no problems at all
when MS04-38 was released in Oct.

I decided to go to the Windows Update site and manually and run a scan on a
few servers and workstations, and none of them are picking MS04-40 as an
available update. All the servers I tested are Win2k with IE6 and the
clients are Win2K Pro also with IE6. Is anyone else having this problem? I
can download the patch from the Windows Security site as a workaround but I'm
just wondering why it's not working through Windows Update site.
1 answer Last reply
More about ms04 listed applicable update windows update

    Did you really mean to say

    <quote>
    All the servers I tested are Win2k with IE6 and the
    clients are Win2K Pro also with IE6
    </quote>

    as not detecting ms04-040 would then be correct
    as it applies only to IE6 Sp1

    --
    Roger Abell
    MCDBA, MCSE W2k3+W2k+Nt4
    "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I usually deploy software updates at my company using SMS 2003. My SMS
    >server
    > hadn't picked up MS04-40 as an installable update yet which I thought was
    > odd
    > because I have it set to check for updates everyday. I had no problems at
    > all
    > when MS04-38 was released in Oct.
    >
    > I decided to go to the Windows Update site and manually and run a scan on
    > few servers and workstations, and none of them are picking MS04-40 as an
    > available update. All the servers I tested are Win2k with IE6 and the
    > clients are Win2K Pro also with IE6. Is anyone else having this problem?
    > can download the patch from the Windows Security site as a workaround but
    > I'm
    > just wondering why it's not working through Windows Update site.

Windows Update Servers Windows