MS04-40 not listed as applicable update on Windows Update

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
December 6, 2004 4:45:04 PM

I usually deploy software updates at my company using SMS 2003. My SMS server
hadn't picked up MS04-40 as an installable update yet which I thought was odd
because I have it set to check for updates everyday. I had no problems at all
when MS04-38 was released in Oct.

I decided to go to the Windows Update site and manually and run a scan on a
few servers and workstations, and none of them are picking MS04-40 as an
available update. All the servers I tested are Win2k with IE6 and the
clients are Win2K Pro also with IE6. Is anyone else having this problem? I
can download the patch from the Windows Security site as a workaround but I'm
just wondering why it's not working through Windows Update site.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 11:29:35 PM

Did you really mean to say

<quote>
All the servers I tested are Win2k with IE6 and the
clients are Win2K Pro also with IE6
</quote>

as not detecting ms04-040 would then be correct
as it applies only to IE6 Sp1

--
Roger Abell
MCDBA, MCSE W2k3+W2k+Nt4