Hi guys!

I´ve just bought myself a new PC, here are the specs:
C2D E6400
Asus P5B Deluxe
2GB DDR2 667 Kingston
Nvidia 7300GT 256MB GDDR3
Zalman Fatal1ty FS-C77
Artic Silver 5

I never thought I´d have any kind of heating problems with this PC, but I was wrong..

I tested my brand new C2D with TAT, both Cores at 100%, the temperature indicated by Core Temp reached 60°C, one time it even reached 62°! That´s a little too hot for what I had in mind!

I think it may be the case´s fault, because I only got 1 80 fan on it´s back, so what do you think? Adding a 120 fan on the back and movng the 80 to the front will solve the problem?

Thanks in advance!

[ ]´s Alexis Mefano

Alec246

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
But it´s not the stock heatsink I´m using! I´m using a Fatal1ty FS-C77, pretty heavy stuff, 900g over my motherboard.

I don´t think I´ve done anything wrong on the installation part, I´ve done it all by the book

Thanks anyway

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Check something like Sandra2007 or the old Aida32 to see your real temps. Those measured by the much more accurate motherboard sensor, because those of the CPU die are actually better placed (in the hot of the action) but are much less accurate and tricky; just think that the sensors on my 4200+ repost temperatures with a 10°C difference from each-other which is simply impossible.

But it´s not the stock heatsink I´m using! I´m using a Fatal1ty FS-C77, pretty heavy stuff, 900g over my motherboard.

I don´t think I´ve done anything wrong on the installation part, I´ve done it all by the book

Thanks anyway

Oops, sorry I didn't notice you listed the Zalman Fatality HSF in your specs.

The only suggestion is can make is to wipe away the thermal grease, re-apply the grease and then re-install the Zalman Fatality. Be sure to only apply a thin layer of thermal grease. The only other thing that I can think of is that the fan is running too slowly.

P.S. To find out if you really do have an airflow issue try using your PC with the case open. If your temps drop, then it is definitely not enough airflow.

P.P.S. Are you overclocking or is your CPU running at stock speed?

Alec246

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Stock, I tried putting it @ 2.6GHZ with a Vcore of 1.375, just like the overclocking tutorial told me to do and the CPU temperature at Idle went to 64°C! I read this from the Bios, I didn´t even start Windows, I don´t want my PC running too hot.

About the thermal grease, I could do it, but I´m not really sure it´d make any difference, does is have to be a really really thin layer over the CPU? The fan is running at 2360RPM, it´s top speed is 2400RPM so this is not an issue.

With the case opened I had the same results, but you have to remember that the air temperature around here is around 28°C =p

AIDA32 only gave me the MB temp. Asus probe gave me the same 60/61°c with full load, so no changes

Any other thoughts?

mpjesse

Splendid
Oh for FFS. 62C is not hot. Chill out. There's nothing wrong. Don't listen to these nerds... they think 32C is too hot.

Go google it. You'll find a million other people with the same temps.

cal7

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
For stock speed and using a better than stock heatsink that is a bit hot.Dont know how good this FS-C77.I have the Zalman 9700 on my 6300@2.8Ghz and with TAT i get 54 max.Its not like his CPU will burn but he better reinstall the heatsink.

akay

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
hi
when i turn my system on & log on to windows
the temp of my processor is 45C .
after putting it to sleep mode it shows 28C Shocked
whats going on it has dropped 17C.
is this a problem. .......
i use pc probe monitoring tool
i installed the monitoring tool from the mobo driver CD

mayb u can put it to sleep mode for a while
n check the temps
who knows it might happen :)

p4 3.0Ghz HT 2mb cache
asus p5nd2 sli delux mobo
1gb 533mhz kingston ram
80GBX2 seagate HDD(7200 RPM)
nvidia 6600 256mb gigabyte grafics card
x-fi sound blaster sound card
creative 5.1 digital 5700 speakers
500W PSU

Alec246

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
I´m not bothered for the 60°C temp I get when I run TAT, but that if I try to overclock this beauty, and I plan on doing it, after all that´s why I bought this PC for, imagine how high the temp will go!

I think I´ll need to reinstall the Zalman, but man.. It´s gonna take a lot of work, with all it´s bolts, tightened like hell to hold it on it´s place.

I did the same technich I saw on that Artic Silver instructional video I watched from the Internet, apply the grease, and use a credit card to make sure all the CPU is covered by it, but I guess I´ll have to check if it was really the correct way of doing it

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
60°C IS hot for stock speeds. Mine runs at 60°C at full load when overclocked and overvolted to 3.6GHz.

TAT and core temp are WAY more accurate (and way more relevent, as its based on these temps that the CPU throttles) than any motherboard sensor. Added to that, its the only way that temps are comparable between systems.

If one core is under load and the other isnt, a 10°C difference between cores is easy.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
option 1) trade your system in to me and I will build you one that works!

option 2) poor case, poor air flow - you do not say what kind of case or case fans - could be it,

option 3) remove and istall stock intel cooler (the chip will run find at 35c and 55 c max) push in connectors in Crissy cross and properly install thermal grease--- smooth in on in thin even layer all over - do not put 1 bead in the middle

option 4) reinstall original hs and add more grease something is not flat - pull of and look at the bottom of the hs and see if you had full contact.

if you do not like 1 skip to 4

49ers540

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Oh for FFS. 62C is not hot. Chill out. There's nothing wrong. Don't listen to these nerds... they think 32C is too hot.

It is hot. Heat sink properly seated with Artic silver 5, you should get around 37C` with the stock fan. You are smoking crack if you think that's not hot.

Alec246

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
I´ve tried putting 2 80mm casefan, 1 running at 2300RPM on the front and another 80mm one running at 4800RPM on the back, my temp on Idle dropped from 50-49° to 47°, not much of a progress..

I think the problem is on my Zalman, I don´t see how you can make a wrong installation of a 900g heatsink, it´s bolts are tightened to the board so well you it doesn´t even move when you move the case.

Maybe I did something wrong with the thermal grease, maybe it needs some more, maybe some less, who knows.. The truth is I feel there´s something wrong with this Fatal1ty, and I´ll find out what it is, but it´s give me a hell of a work :(

Do I need to remove the grease that comes with the stock cooler and apply my Artic Silver to it? If so, how can I do it?

cal7

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Did the Zalman have any grease in the box?In the newer versions like 9700 they have a pretty good grease.As i see it your cooler looks exactly the same as the older 7xxx series of Zalman coolers.It should do the job but dont expect miracles with it.

Alec246

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Yes it does come with a white thermal grease, but I think it´s highly unlikely that it´s gonna do a better job than the Artic Silver 5.

I´ll try using the stock cooler but I´ll only be able to do that next wednesday :( So I guess for the days to come I´ll have to stick with my Hot CPU

It is hot. Heat sink properly seated with Artic silver 5, you should get around 37C` with the stock fan. You are smoking crack if you think that's not hot.
With the stock fan? What are you running? A Xeon 30? If not you must be using more blow than everyone in Scarface. Temps are nothing to worry about till you hit 75C. End of story.

racerboywonder

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Incorrect HSF installation aside, your case cooling can make a big difference. I have the same processor and motherboard, but I'm using an AC Freezer 7 Pro for the HSF. The idle/load temps were initially higher than I expected for the setup I had...not worrisome, but they could have been better. My Cooler Master Cavalier-1 case has a single 80 mm intake and a 120 mm exhaust fan, but both were designed for silence, not maximum CFM. I changed out both fans with auto-temp controlled, higher flow models (which weren't really expensive), and my temperatures dropped by 8 or 9 degrees Celcius immediately. The computer is just the slightest bit louder, but only by a few dB...the trade off was well worth it. Don't count out the effects of adequate case cooling.

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
My E6400 is also having problems. I cannot help but conclude that perhaps the thermal heat spreader is somehow defective. I have a Zalman S9500 properly mounted (reset it 4-5 times to be sure, and even had another fully certified tech try just in case), and yet I get TAT temps idling at around 55, maxing at 74. I'm going to RMA the processor and see if that makes any difference. I use default FSB and Voltage to.

What makes this particularly odd is the fact that the Motherboard temp sensor never spikes higher than 35. So I consistently have a 30C difference. Leads me to believe that the heatsink is working and syphoning away any heat that hits the spreader, but perhaps the die's are not themselves touching the spreader. It's the best theory I can come up with, and so far nothing else seems to make sense.

mpjesse

Splendid

High speed: go research the thermal limits of the Core 2 Duo and come back in here to report. The C2D doesn't even start to lower clock speeds until about 75C. When ur CPU actually SLOWS DOWN, that's when it's too hot.

Quit giving people bad advice based on what you think you know.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I agree, it is not too hot in that it will not cause any damage to the CPU. Core 2 can cope with 62°C easily.

It IS much hotter than you would expect from an e6400 at stock speeds and voltage, and it DOESNT leave him much overclocking headroom.

If he doesnt want to overclock, then it probably isnt worth worrying about. If he does, then he needs to figure out what is wrong with the heatsink mounting in the first place.

cal7

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Yes it does come with a white thermal grease, but I think it´s highly unlikely that it´s gonna do a better job than the Artic Silver 5.
As i said if its the same that comes with 9700 cooler , its actually as good if not better than arctic silver.