Before I start building

chailvr

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
Just got my last part in today and I thought I should ask if there is any tips I should know before I start building. And what tools or parts should I have on hand?

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Arctic silver.
Screwdriver set.
Anti-static wrist band(optional)
Another pc hooked up to research problems.
Not sure what your question was.

robucf4

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I just built my first, just go slow, its a little intimidating. I just followed my Asus manual, kind of outlines the process. If you don't understand something, re-read it, google it, make a forum post =), etc. Just make sure you understand what your doing and you will be fine. Good luck!

I got a static wristband from Radio Shack for like 5 bucks due to pure paranoia...

CmdPT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Arctic silver.
Screwdriver set.
Anti-static wrist band(optional)
Another pc hooked up to research problems.
Not sure what your question was.

If this is your first build then take your time don't rush it. You have all the time in the world to finish it and carefully examine everything. If it doesn't boot for the first time its ok, just go back and check what you did wrong.
Most inexperience builders rush it because they want the system up and running, its not worth risking those expansive parts.

PC_Side_Line

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
number 1 and number 2 phillips drivers or bits for the screws

don't overtighten stuff, 5 pounds max is enuf for everything

how do u know what 5 pounds is? its about the turning pressure of a new faucet

still dont know? well use ur left hand to turn the right index finger of ur right hand; u'll know its enuf torque on the finger when it starts to hurt.

If u are on CARPET in your house try to build the pc without contacting carpet first

if u have walked on carpet alot, touch a light switch in the house or wash your hands before u start work.

if u drop a screw inside the case or on the motherboard then try not to move it too much; 1st locate the screw and then use a magnetic pickup or magnetized tool to get at it.

U've never magnetized a tool b4? ok here's how:

get ur screwdriver in ur left hand and a strong magnet on your right hand.

u are going to drag the magnet from the bottom of the screwdriver to the top very slowly 20 times. (this is called aligning the fields)

so hold the magnet on the bottom metal part of the screwdriver and slowly keep it pressed on the metal part and drag it up slowly to the top.

then when u get to the top lift off the magnet very slowly and when u get to the bottom place it gently on the bottom without hitting the metal too hard. then drag it up again....repeat 20 times.

another tip, if ur power supply has a separate switch on the back of it then be sure it is turned off before u hook it up to all the parts.

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
make sure you install the stand-offs. They are little screw in thingies that go into the case under the mainboard and the mainboard screws go into those.

chailvr

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
I just built my first, just go slow, its a little intimidating. I just followed my Asus manual, kind of outlines the process. If you don't understand something, re-read it, google it, make a forum post =), etc. Just make sure you understand what your doing and you will be fine. Good luck!

I got a static wristband from Radio Shack for like 5 bucks due to pure paranoia...

Yeah I think ill get that static wristband too :D ..better safe than sorry. Do I need a hex driver or anything?..I'm following an about.com DIY guide on building and it says that I need a hex driver among other things.

chailvr

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
make sure you install the stand-offs. They are little screw in thingies that go into the case under the mainboard and the mainboard screws go into those.

do they come with the motherboard or the case? The case seems to have 4 little bronze things like that but I dont know if I need more. Also, the motherboard manual says to install 9 screws, are those normal screws?

Mondoman

Splendid
They come with the case. The bronze things are the standoffs. The screws that screw into them should also come with the case. Not all the little screws that come with the case are the same, so before you install the standoffs, test-fit a screw into each, so you'll have screws that you know fit properly when you actually screw down the MB.
There may also be some plastic snap-fit standoffs, which are insulating. The way I know which to use for which MB hole is to look at the hole on the MB. If it has a shiny metal ring surrounding the hole, it's a metal screw/metal standoff hole. Otherwise, it's a plastic standoff hole.
You may also find this post helpful:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1184072#1184072