Do I really need to use my Back Faceplate?

kyosuke

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
I had to remove the back faceplate on my case so my motherboard would go in there... Well, I haven't the damndest clue how to make the matching one go in there and stay except for maybe glueing or taping it... which would be kind of bleh...

so my question is, do i really need it? Would it actually help with ventillation not having it there?

Thanks in advance!

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Do you need it? No. Does it provide a function? Yes, two... It provides a bit of case ground for the various ports, and it keeps dust out. Its a PITA to install on some MB's, but even clumsy me manages to get it done. There are usually tabs that have to be folded up (inwards, towards the MB) that provide the grounding function... If one's mouth is held just right, these will usually provide enough tension to get the plate into position.

Hope this helps.

akhilles

Splendid
It keeps dust out & bugs from building a home in your case.

io_plate.jpg

i/o plate

This is the correct way to install. It may be hard to install in some cases. I've learned my lesson. I got my fingers so many times it's not funny.

Needle_nose_pliers.jpg

pliers

Gently 1st insert the i/o plate into the spaceholder from inside of the case, use the handles of a pair of pliers to hold the the bottom of i/o plate inside the case, use either the handles of another pair of pliers or the handle of a screwdriver to stick the top of the i/o plate into place, then the other top side.

In some cases, you may have to use pliers to make the i/o plate a bit smaller so that it fits.

Do NOT touch the sharp edges as they WILL cut your fingers.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
when you have a mom who uses your computer for her "UBS" drive :roll: and you see her BENDING the usb ports almost to the point of breaking from sheer clumsiness, THEN you'll be able to answer this question yourself. 8O

boy was that a scary time. shooooo.