windows 2000 server help

I have placed a web application that i have developed onto a windows 2000
server. Some of the pages on the site require to be restricted and so i am
therefore hoping to put a login option onto these pages. Does anyone know how
i can achieve this through 2000 server, i have tried fiddling about with user
permissions but it did not give me the option of creating username and
passwords.
Thanks

One uses existing accounts, that is, Windows accounts.
In the IIS mgmt interface, in the properties of the area
that should not allow anonymous access one enters the
properties of the folder and drill into the directory
security tab and uncheck anonymous access. Then, the
access to the content in that area will be controlled by
the NTFS permissions on the files served from that area.
These NTFS permissions are set as with any filesystem
area, using Windows accounts, or better, groups.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)