[PW!] [NS] Any interest in a Daycare location?

Call me a bit odd if you like, but of the three Pokemon movies I've
seen, my favorite parts were the often-trippy shorts that appeared
before the movies proper. There was something innocent and silly
about them that you didn't see in the cartoon itself-- and, of
course, the large absence of English speech gave it as much of a feel
of watching the original version as I'm going to get without ordering
Japanese DVDs or something. (Dialogue never sounds as silly when
you're hearing it in Japanese.)

With that in mind, I'm wondering if anyone else would be interested in
doing something similar for the PokeWars. Specifically, I'm thinking
of doing a WG for the Daycare and for a pokemon or two. Other people
can bring their pokemon to the daycare, either ones they already have
or new ones specifically for the purpose, and the pokemon can go on
adventures of their own while their humans are off doing other
things. (An old guy who has no idea where pokemon eggs come from is
not, I imagine, the most eagle-eyed of caretakers, so they could do
quite a lot without being seen.)

Is this something anyone else would want to do, or am I all by my
lonesome in wanting to do some pokeventuring?

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Fred M. Sloniker" <fizzit@pioneernet.net> wrote in message

> With that in mind, I'm wondering if anyone else would be interested in
> doing something similar for the PokeWars. Specifically, I'm thinking
> of doing a WG for the Daycare and for a pokemon or two. Other people
> can bring their pokemon to the daycare, either ones they already have
> or new ones specifically for the purpose, and the pokemon can go on
> adventures of their own while their humans are off doing other
> things. (An old guy who has no idea where pokemon eggs come from is
> not, I imagine, the most eagle-eyed of caretakers, so they could do
> quite a lot without being seen.)
>
> Is this something anyone else would want to do, or am I all by my
> lonesome in wanting to do some pokeventuring?

Currently, there are two Daycare Centers in the Pokewars! that are
controlled by authors. Clayton elaborated on the inner workings of Johto's
Daycare Center (the one south of Goldenrod City), which is run by the Raiser
Family in the PW!. In Kanto, my Diversity Gym acts as a Daycare and Breeding
Center for the region. Just recently, I was contemplating writing a story
featuring a few of the Pokemon that have been left there, namely the three
that Jutta sent there. You can still start a new Daycare Center in Hoenn if
you want to, but I just wanted to let you know that the idea's already been
done.

-Rob

Rob wrote:

> Currently, there are two Daycare Centers in the Pokewars! that are
> controlled by authors.

I wouldn't have a problem with using someone else's set. I'm mainly
interested in whether there are other people who want to be
pokeactors. n_n (See my other post in this thread for more
details.)

Fred M. Sloniker wrote:
> Call me a bit odd if you like, but of the three Pokemon movies I've
> seen, my favorite parts were the often-trippy shorts that appeared
> before the movies proper. There was something innocent and silly
> about them that you didn't see in the cartoon itself-- and, of
> course, the large absence of English speech gave it as much of a feel
> of watching the original version as I'm going to get without ordering
> Japanese DVDs or something. (Dialogue never sounds as silly when
> you're hearing it in Japanese.)
>
> With that in mind, I'm wondering if anyone else would be interested in
> doing something similar for the PokeWars. Specifically, I'm thinking
> of doing a WG for the Daycare and for a pokemon or two. Other people
> can bring their pokemon to the daycare, either ones they already have
> or new ones specifically for the purpose, and the pokemon can go on
> adventures of their own while their humans are off doing other
> things.

I fail to see why you would need a daycare for this. The pokemon's WG
itself would suffice, whether it was at a daycare or if its adventures
happened to take it elsewhere (say, on a wild tour of Hoenn, maybe with
friends, maybe running in to the other WGed characters on the way, maybe
both). (Yes, pokemon themselves can have their own WGs, and the pokemon
doesn't have to speak human. Most of the pokemon who do have their own
WGs speak human - or, at least, have their speech translated - because
their author wishes to run them that way, but there's nothing against a
pokemon who only speaks in Poke-speak that's never translated. You
might run into the same issues that the cartoon shorts run into:
communicating to the audience without dialogue. But that is merely a
challenge, not an absolute barrier.)

Adrian Tymes wrote:

> I fail to see why you would need a daycare for this.

The intent is to have a focal point for pokemon-only roleplay.
Pokemon that trainers own would tend to be with them most of the
time, and the stories would tend to focus on the trainer's
interactions with his team, wild pokemon, and other trainers. To get
humans out of the picture, or at least make them background elements,
you'd have to look either to the daycare or to some sort of
computer-storage cyberspace thing, and the former seemed simplest.
It'd also give a way for wild pokemon to interact without the fear of
J. Random Trainer trying to bag them; the daycare people probably
wouldn't even notice a couple of wild pokemon slipping into the mix,
or the cared-for pokemon slipping off into the wild for a bit.

> Most of the pokemon who do have their own WGs speak human - or, at
> least, have their speech translated - because their author wishes to
> run them that way, but there's nothing against a pokemon who only
> speaks in Poke-speak that's never translated. You might run into
> the same issues that the cartoon shorts run into: communicating to
> the audience without dialogue. But that is merely a challenge, not
> an absolute barrier.)

Well, I'd like to take that challenge. Of course it wouldn't be a
requirement for anyone who participates to do the same, but I think
it'd be fun to see how much you can communicate just through
descriptions of body language and expressions. It also requires you
to keep things on a simple level; your pokemon probably won't be
getting into lengthy philosophical discussions. (That said, break
out the subtitles now and again. Sometimes conversations are fun!)

Of course, if no one's interested in doing this with me, I'll do
something else; I'm just trying to get an idea of the interest level,
if any...

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Adrian Tymes" <wingcat@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> (Yes, pokemon themselves can have their own WGs, and the pokemon
> doesn't have to speak human. Most of the pokemon who do have their own
> WGs speak human - or, at least, have their speech translated - because
> their author wishes to run them that way, but there's nothing against a
> pokemon who only speaks in Poke-speak that's never translated. You
> might run into the same issues that the cartoon shorts run into:
> communicating to the audience without dialogue. But that is merely a
> challenge, not an absolute barrier.)

This is true. Has there ever been a WGed Pokemon character who only spoke in
Pokéspeak without translation? I can't think of one. Stellara didn't speak
English, but her Kadabra-speak was translated. That would be an interesting
concept to explore, especially for an author who prefers description to
dialogue.

> Well, I'd like to take that challenge. Of course it wouldn't be a
> requirement for anyone who participates to do the same, but I think
> it'd be fun to see how much you can communicate just through
> descriptions of body language and expressions. It also requires you
> to keep things on a simple level; your pokemon probably won't be
> getting into lengthy philosophical discussions. (That said, break
> out the subtitles now and again. Sometimes conversations are fun!)
>
> Of course, if no one's interested in doing this with me, I'll do
> something else; I'm just trying to get an idea of the interest level,
> if any...

Have you been reading Pokewars! posts, or did you just read the Tutorial and
FAQ at pokewars.pipian.com? You apparently get the general idea of what the
PW! is like, but you seem to have some minor misconceptions about it. Each
interaction in the Pokewars! need not be an event. You're supposed to write
posts for your character and interact with other characters in the Pokewars!
when the opportunities arise. If you were to create a Zangoose character
that only spoke in Zangoose, you'd make a WG for this character and write
stories featuring the character. If the character wanders into an area where
other characters are, they might choose to interact with him, or they might
not. There need not be set-up for the interaction or a Daycare to act as a
stage for the characters to interact in.

-Rob